IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Other alternative: split it among several systems
I'm pricing desktop systems for work, and am finding base-unit (CPU, w/o monitor, though may include K/M), for as low as US$375. Raising that to $550 or so produces an entirely respectable IDE unit with network, decent video, and sound, and a healthy chunk of memory (512MiB). From there, upgrades would include SCSI, higher-end video, and peripherals such as tape, CD-W, DVD, etc., but not necessary.

The line that computer prices don't change, the specs just rise, is not true. Specs double on Moore's schedule, prices seem to fall about 5% per year, and this has been accelerated by the current soft market. I'd probably spec out a few systems and pick up at least two. Then spend the remaining grand and a half on a nice trip.

OTOH, if you just want to gold-plate a system, see [link|http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/ultimate-linux-box/ulb2001.html|ESR's dream box spec]. Even bricked out, he couldn't raise the price over $7,000, and halving this is eminantly possible. Extras include a really nice case, quiet fans, and mondo power supply.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
[link|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/|[link|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/]]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Been thinking about that
With system's so cheap, it seems that hooking up a parallel system in house shouldn't be much of a problem. Of course it would be nice to actually DO something when complete. The only operating systems I've heard of that will manage multiple systems (effectively) are pretty heavy duty.
With this much manure around, there must be a pony somewhere.
New Hey.. is that our very own
Rick Moen - in on this project?

Anyway.. a good primer on figuring out what's important and what - just appeals to Bigger is Better.

(Imagine.. some folk paying $200+ more.. to get a 2.1 GHz CPU vs a 2.0 of same config.)

A.

Now see, with Windoze:

Whatcha need is: a CD changer. Separate images of system with only ONE (er large) ap loaded and debugged. Wanna change aps? Reload it all. Registry doesn't have to walk OR chew gum. OH - a couple images for the daredevils: with TWO large aps loaded. It's always FRESH and that means it may go a whole day...

\ufffd 2002 Ashton Windoze Fixes AG
see, this WILL be "XP-II" in 2004 - WFT, it'll sell more hardware too...
New Won't work
CD Changers aren't popular in the desktop market. As I mentioned recently in another thread, the few that were on the market withered when Windows kept trying to auto-run every disk it cycled through. Without registry hacks, there is no way of disabling auto-play on later WinOS's. So the chagers couldn't check disk title info (ie: search for the right disk) without playing whatever was on the first one it hit.
I can't be a Democrat because I like to spend the money I make.
I can't be a Republican because I like to spend the money I make on drugs and whores.
New Auto insert notification?
There is a checkbox on the device "Settings" tab that can be turned off from the Device Manager. I think that this is in 2000 and XP as well. Auto insert notification. If turned off, it doesn't seem to search my CD drive when I insert a CD. Of course I also have Autoplay disabled, my Nero software did it for me as soon as I installed it for my CD Burner that it came with.

"Will work for fair salary and benefits, seeking company with integrity."
New Just double-checked
There is no way to disable it from the settings tab from device manager. Maybe some CD drives ship with other drivers that would add this, but it's not an option on mine.
I can't be a Democrat because I like to spend the money I make.
I can't be a Republican because I like to spend the money I make on drugs and whores.
New Sorry I thought all drivers were equal?
Every CD drive that I checked had this checkbox. I am sorry to hear that yours does not.

"Will work for fair salary and benefits, seeking company with integrity."
     Hypothetical question - (Silverlock) - (20)
         To do what? - (static)
         Wish I had money like that - (nking) - (1)
             Feh. - (pwhysall)
         What do you have to gain from either one? - (nking)
         If you're not sure, invest it. - (Meerkat)
         $3k's a lot, but not enough. - (Another Scott)
         My take - (ben_tilly)
         Depends if you are single or not - (boxley) - (4)
             Good idea - (Silverlock) - (2)
                 disease, son disease. - (boxley) - (1)
                     Condoms pop, condoms. -NT - (Silverlock)
             Visits Welcome! - (static)
         You can do both! - (bepatient)
         Other alternative: split it among several systems - (kmself) - (6)
             Been thinking about that - (Silverlock)
             Hey.. is that our very own - (Ashton) - (4)
                 Won't work - (drewk) - (3)
                     Auto insert notification? - (nking) - (2)
                         Just double-checked - (drewk) - (1)
                             Sorry I thought all drivers were equal? - (nking)

They done be drunk. What more could you ask for?
111 ms