IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Who would that be?
Everyone I've seen lists rates as GB/month. If I could price it at MB/s I could at least calculate what I need.
--

Drew
New Unmetered Bandwidth
Unfortunately I don't have any reliable information on who provides these anymore. The sites I've used before have mostly dropped this option.

What you are looking for though is typically called "unmetered bandwidth" so if you search for that you'll find some options that range from fairly reliable to piss poor.
New Thanks, checking them out now
Let's see if my math makes sense.

The best hour of my best day I had 1,336 visitors.
That day I had 15,292 visitors.
Total bandwidth for the day was 67.2 GB.
Average transfer per page ~4.4MB

Round up a bit 1,500 visitors in one hour = 25 per minute.

25 visitors * 4.4MB = 110MB/min = 1.833 MB/s

So on the best hour of my best day I'd have needed 1.833 MB/s to handle the traffic. Does that sound about right? And assuming it's actually capped at 1.5 MB/s (which is what I'm seeing is standard for basic plans), things would slow down at peak.

Can someone who does capacity planning check my assumptions?
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Oct. 7, 2009, 01:15:24 PM EDT
New Slightly OT - I can't see the blog host from here...
I hope you have some kind of advertising on it with those numbers.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Soon as I find a new host with good bandwidth ...
When you say "can't see blog host" do you mean blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com or cooklikeyourgrandmother.com? What aren't you seeing?

As for advertising, it's not the slam-dunk it seems, that I can/should be making money with those numbers. The people who quote what you can make with advertising have sites that are designed to make money with advertising. Different traffic acquisition strategy, different audience.
--

Drew
New I can see the main site, but not the blog.
There's a link I'll send you about the advertising. It related directly to blogs, and talked about optimal ad positioning, etc.
Regards,
-scott
New Can't believe I'm about to ask this, but ...
Could you try flushing your browser cache and check again? They're insisting that's what the problem is, that you've got something cached from before they move my site to a new server.

And can you take a look at kegmobile.com, see if that one is working?

I'm so close to just buying a cheap server and finding a colo it's not even funny.
--

Drew
New third retry, I got kegmobile.com
two timeouts, then it worked.

Of course, I forgot I had your zone live and loaded in my DNS server.

Same issue with cooklikeyourgrandmother.com and I was blind to blog until the third time.
New I don't need to.
sanderson@sanderson:~$ host cooklikeyourgrandmother.com
cooklikeyourgrandmother.com has address 64.29.151.221
cooklikeyourgrandmother.com mail is handled by 110 mx3c40.carrierzone.com.
cooklikeyourgrandmother.com mail is handled by 100 mx2c40.carrierzone.com.
cooklikeyourgrandmother.com mail is handled by 10 mx1c40.carrierzone.com.

sanderson@sanderson:~$ host blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com
Host blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com.bdg.local not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

They're idiots. You knew this already, of course.

sanderson@sanderson:~$ host kegmobile.com
kegmobile.com has address 64.29.151.221
kegmobile.com mail is handled by 100 mx2c40.carrierzone.com.
kegmobile.com mail is handled by 10 mx1c40.carrierzone.com.
kegmobile.com mail is handled by 110 mx3c40.carrierzone.com.
Regards,
-scott
New And from home it's the other way 'round.
bigberet:~ anderson$ host blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com
blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com is an alias for ghs.google.com.
ghs.google.com is an alias for ghs.l.google.com.
ghs.l.google.com has address 74.125.95.121

bigberet:~ anderson$ host cooklikeyourgrandmother.com
Regards,
-scott
New And now?
I switched to DNS Made Easy last night. You seeing it now? (Just for the cooklikeyourgrandmother site, haven't done kegmobile yet.)
--

Drew
New WOOT! Everything looks right!
I went through and checked all of your entries, including your SOA and NS.

SWEET!

Not so hard, eh? The interface is simple, yet effective.
New Re: And now?
From home:

bigberet:~ anderson$ host blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com

bigberet:~ anderson$ host cooklikeyourgrandmother.com

From work:

sanderson@sanderson:~$ host blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com

sanderson@sanderson:~$ host cooklikeyourgrandmother.com
Regards,
-scott
New Cool, thanks
--

Drew
New I can't find that article I mentioned
It was on a blogger's site, talking about all of the various things he had tried with ad positioning and so on.

Basically he came up with:

1) make sure you're using the context-specific functionality in Google adwords so the ads reflect the page/section,

2) put the ads left and top, and a few within the content itself (like between posts, I guess, or in the post text), because that's where people will actually use them.

He claimed to have gotten a good multiple income over his old configuration. I wish I could find the damned link, because there was quite a bit more to it.
Regards,
-scott
New Seen similar comparisons before
Basically people keep rediscovering that the more intrusive you make the advertising, the better your conversion percentage. What I haven't seen any of them talk about is whether they saw any impact on retention of regular readers after making the ads so annoying.
--

Drew
New ezBoard might have some data. :-/
They may not want to share, though.

I don't know if you've seen this, but it might be helpful - a little calculator on what you "should" charge (scroll down).

http://onlineads.dig...sponsorships.html

Have fun. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New I like the math, but the income per visitor is way off
In some segments you might get $10/day off 1,000 visitors, but I never came close to that.
--

Drew
New Re: Seen similar comparisons before
Here are numbers from one person:

You can reasonably expect that when you begin commercializing a free site, some people will complain, depending on how you do it. I launched this site in October 2004, and I began putting Google Adsense ads on the site in February 2005. There were some complaints, but I expected that — it was really no big deal. Less than 1 in 5,000 visitors actually sent me negative feedback. Most people who sent feedback were surprisingly supportive. Most of the complaints died off within a few weeks, and the site began generating income almost immediately, although it was pretty low — a whopping $53 the first month. If you’d like to see some month-by-month specifics, I posted my 2005 Adsense revenue figures earlier this year. Adsense is still my single best source of revenue for this site, although it’s certainly not my only source.

http://www.stevepavl...y-from-your-blog/

And it's not necessarily intrusiveness. People naturally look at things on the top and left of a page (well, left-right top-down languages, I'm sure). The comparison I can't find talked about size and obnoxiousness of the ads didn't really matter. Contextual relevance and position did.
Regards,
-scott
New Position *is* obnoxiousness
Best converting ad position is "in content". In other words, in the middle of the article, there's a two-inch break for an ad. Totally disruptive. And the more it mimics the article layout, the better the conversion.
--

Drew
New Dude...
I have your zone all setup and was working until I made it inactive.

I could also do kegmobile.com.

Let me know.
New Check your email
--

Drew
New Checked and replying...
Make sure you tell me which e-mail I need to check... I have several I use as non-primary and the gmail one is that kind.
New Ahh, gmail was the first I found, I still had it in my inbox
--

Drew
New Sentededed.
You also have an account on that machine IF you want it.

Let me know.

Its always nice to have a disconnected machine from everything you do to double check you stuff.
New Will you be around tonight?
I'm taking Winnie to dance, should be back around 9-ish my time. Think I could give you a call and we can try this?
--

Drew
New Sure.
I'm always available, at least it always seems like that.
     Need Colo/VSP recommendation. - (mvitale) - (32)
         If you hadn't have said "cheap"... - (static)
         Re: Need Colo/VSP recommendation. - (jones) - (30)
             How do photo sites deal with bandwidth - (drook) - (29)
                 same way google does, oversubscription - (boxley)
                 Flickr and Yahoo - (jones) - (27)
                     Who would that be? - (drook) - (26)
                         Unmetered Bandwidth - (jones) - (25)
                             Thanks, checking them out now - (drook) - (24)
                                 Slightly OT - I can't see the blog host from here... - (malraux) - (23)
                                     Soon as I find a new host with good bandwidth ... - (drook) - (22)
                                         I can see the main site, but not the blog. - (malraux) - (21)
                                             Can't believe I'm about to ask this, but ... - (drook) - (20)
                                                 third retry, I got kegmobile.com - (folkert)
                                                 I don't need to. - (malraux) - (11)
                                                     And from home it's the other way 'round. - (malraux) - (10)
                                                         And now? - (drook) - (9)
                                                             WOOT! Everything looks right! - (folkert)
                                                             Re: And now? - (malraux) - (7)
                                                                 Cool, thanks -NT - (drook) - (6)
                                                                     I can't find that article I mentioned - (malraux) - (5)
                                                                         Seen similar comparisons before - (drook) - (4)
                                                                             ezBoard might have some data. :-/ - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                 I like the math, but the income per visitor is way off - (drook)
                                                                             Re: Seen similar comparisons before - (malraux) - (1)
                                                                                 Position *is* obnoxiousness - (drook)
                                                 Dude... - (folkert) - (6)
                                                     Check your email -NT - (drook) - (5)
                                                         Checked and replying... - (folkert) - (4)
                                                             Ahh, gmail was the first I found, I still had it in my inbox -NT - (drook) - (3)
                                                                 Sentededed. - (folkert) - (2)
                                                                     Will you be around tonight? - (drook) - (1)
                                                                         Sure. - (folkert)

NullPointerException
188 ms