IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Wrong way around
That would be the logical and reasonable way to go about updating a translation.

Naturally, that isn't what people like this do. Instead, they will apply the same methodology they do to science and politics and everything else. Take their religious beliefs as the absolute truth, and then revise/misconstrue/deny everything else to get it into conformity with those beliefs.

Jay
New Oh, totally
This is something conservatives are very good at. They offer a well-reasoned explanation for what they're doing, but the reality of what they actually do is completely different.

Yesterday I was listening to Talk of the Nation while picking up the girls from school. They had Michael Gerson on. (Washington Post columnist, former Bush speachwriter.) The subject of Glenn Beck came up:
I mean, Beck is a - sort of an entertainment guy. He does stand-up comedy. He can be bombastic and over-the-top and all of the rest, and if you want to criticize that, that's perfectly legitimate. But, you know, we've gone through almost eight years now of the mainstream, elite media worshiping and lionizing people like Jon Stewart, who blur the lines between serious news and commentary and comedy far more so than people like Beck. The in-house Media Watchdog Program on NPR on the media, the host of the show told the Associated Press that their role model is Jon Stewart.
And that all sounds sort of reasonable. But David Folkenflik picked up on it:
I think part of it is Beck's influence. He does the dance that certainly others do on the left as well, which is to critics, he'll say hey, look. You know, I'm a rodeo cowboy or a clown, I think is actually what he says. And he says you don't have to take me seriously. I'll cry. I'll rant. I'll rave. I'll say things, and, you know, if they don't happen to be perfectly true, hey look, it's not like I'm - I have a Ph.D. in political science. I'm not a senator. Nobody elected me, don't worry about it.

To viewers, even though he's histrionic and quite entertaining and quite enjoyable, actually, in person, as well, he's kind of asking to be taken seriously. And he's kind of asking them to lend to him a credibility so that he can influence them. And indeed, I think that's shown by some of the protests that he helped to engender and encourage.

You know, that's not a - you know, Jon Stewart is on the comedy channel now. I know CNN might love to have him on its air. But that said, you know, he's in a place where he is fixed as a figure of satire also exploring some factual issues.

Folkenflik was downplaying the problem. It's not that Beck asks to be taken seriously, it's that Fox News asks that he be taken seriously. When he calls for a march on Washington, and Fox News promotes it, and coordinates it, and takes out full-page ads accusing other media outlets of not covering it (when in fact they did), they're not treating what he does as "stand-up comedy".

The whole thing is worth listening to -- http://www.npr.org/t...storyId=113506887 (Transcript is also there.)
--

Drew
New Objectively what is the difference between beck and olberman
some around here view olbermann as a serious news analyst, to me they are two sides of the same coin.
New Nicely played
First, the comparison I offered was Beck and Stewart, and why that was a poor comparison. Instead of responding to that, you picked a different comparison.

Second, your comparison is at best an example of, "Well you guys do it too, so that makes it okay." No, it doesn't make it okay. Without even addressing whether Beck and Olberman are different, and granting for the sake of argument that they aren't, it still doesn't make what Beck does okay. Nor does it make they way Fox News handles him okay.

So your two sentences were entirely stock conservative rhetorical playbook, with no response to the issue. Congratulations.
--

Drew
New So where's your beef?
is it with Beck or Fox News?

Which makes box's comparison to Olberman hugely more relevant to the situation that the former links use of Jon Stewart, who is on Comedy Central along with Colbert. So while their analysis may be good, insightful, etc...they are clearly labeled. Less so with our good friend and former sportscaster Keith.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New Tell Gerson that, he's the one that made the comparison
--

Drew
New so even tho they are the same its not okay for beck and fox
New Repeating yourself doesn't make it a better argument
It makes it "The Big Lie". Whose playbook was that?
--

Drew
New hardly, trying to determine your position, it tends to float
New not his, its that Gerson fella apparently.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New no, thats John Stuart
New To add to that
Every time somebody has raised the question with Jon Stewart, he has made it bluntly clear that nobody should be taking him seriously. He is the front guy of humor show, not a news show.

That the Daily Show still provides so much real information that it compares favorably with other networks news shows is a condemnation of those shows.

Jay
     Radical Right starts project to build their own bible - (jay) - (15)
         Devil in the details, of course - (drook) - (13)
             Aye. - (static)
             Wrong way around - (jay) - (11)
                 Oh, totally - (drook) - (10)
                     Objectively what is the difference between beck and olberman - (boxley) - (8)
                         Nicely played - (drook) - (7)
                             So where's your beef? - (beepster) - (1)
                                 Tell Gerson that, he's the one that made the comparison -NT - (drook)
                             so even tho they are the same its not okay for beck and fox -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                 Repeating yourself doesn't make it a better argument - (drook) - (3)
                                     hardly, trying to determine your position, it tends to float -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                         not his, its that Gerson fella apparently. -NT - (beepster) - (1)
                                             no, thats John Stuart -NT - (boxley)
                     To add to that - (jay)
         They're late to the party. - (Another Scott)

You finding Ling-ling's head?
89 ms