IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So his "internal" DNS caching service is horked.
Its burping on the fscked up glue records.

Geebus... You have to get you own DNS server running and then secondary for it. Or just transfer all the root server entries to DNS MADE EASY.

Setup an account for DNS Made Easy. Setup all you hosts properly. Transfer it.

DNS IS NOT THIS HARD! It just fscking works when you understand it. DNS Made Easy has an interface that is *BY FAR* the best and simplest interface I have seen. No fancy schmancy AJAX or CSS tricks... bare bones and it works.

http://www.gregfolke...pics/dnsmadeeasy/

Go through the pics in order...

Also notice in the record mgmt the removal etc...

It is very simple, but every function needed is there.
New "when you understand it" is the problem
I don't know how much "magic" the current host has going on behind the interface they provide. The nameservers pointing to other nameservers for instance. The multiple A records to handle ssh and webmail and etc. etc. etc. And assuming I knew everything about their network, I still don't know which options to select in all those screenshots you put up.

I know this stuff is easy to people who understand it. I know I could learn it. But if it's done right, it's something I should only have to do once every year or so, or when I set up a new site.
--

Drew
New Re: "when you understand it" is the problem
Oh, you need a *A* record?

Umm "add A record"

Oh you need a wild card A record?

Umm, "add A record"

Oh you need a CNAME for Blogger?

Ummm, "add CNAME record"

I mean COME ON DREW, stop being oblique. You posted a picture from before with you DNS control panel. Its NOT rocket science. Stopp thinking its tough.

DNS is just a frickin query service for a database of records, you ask for a NAME or type of record for the name it gives you back a number or other entried.

SIMPLE.

Here is the ZONEFILE I created for you from before.

uno:/home/drook/bind# cat cooklikeyourgrandmother.com 

$ORIGIN .
$TTL 38400 ; 10 hours 40 minutes
cooklikeyourgrandmother.com IN SOA uno.gregfolkert.net. test.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com. (
1253654062 ; serial (increment on every change)
10800 ; refresh (3 hours)
3600 ; retry (1 hour)
604800 ; expire (1 week)
38400 ; minimum (10 hours 40 minutes)
)
NS uno.gregfolkert.net.
; Additional Name servers have to be configured
; for transfer in the include section. Contact Greg
; NS ns2.mydyndns.org.
; NS ns3.mydyndns.org.
; NS ns4.mydyndns.org.
; NS ns5.mydyndns.org.
A 64.29.151.221
MX 10 mx1c40.carrierzone.com.
MX 100 mx2c40.carrierzone.com.
MX 110 mx3c40.carrierzone.com.
$ORIGIN cooklikeyourgrandmother.com.
; A records
* A 64.29.151.221
autodiscover A 64.29.151.217
ftp A 64.29.151.221
imap A 64.29.151.235
mail A 64.29.151.235
smtp A 64.29.151.235
webmail A 64.29.151.250
www A 64.29.151.221
; CNAME records
blog CNAME ghs.google.com.
ssh CNAME shell1c40.carrierzone.com.

If I can make this from that picture, you can easily make a setup in DNS made Easy.

It really *IS* EASY. Stop thinking its "un-learn-able", it *IS* learn-able.

If you need hand holding, let be the first ti offer to help you out. DNS is you life blood, if you can;t get reliable DNS from you hosting provider... move it somewhere else.
New think he is talking about the actual IP routing to his stuff
all the names in the world dont help if you are not sure what IP it is tied to in the back end
     What happens when your DNS server points to something else? - (drook) - (18)
         Ouch. - (static) - (17)
             Customer service said "that's normal" - (drook) - (16)
                 warning, make sure a query returns less than 512k - (boxley) - (15)
                     How do I measure that? -NT - (drook) - (10)
                         example - (boxley) - (9)
                             That's interesting - (drook) - (8)
                                 is it blank or timed out? -NT - (boxley) - (7)
                                     I pasted everything that showed up - (drook) - (6)
                                         Just got word from the guy who's having the problem - (drook) - (5)
                                             his dns server is down -NT - (boxley)
                                             So his "internal" DNS caching service is horked. - (folkert) - (3)
                                                 "when you understand it" is the problem - (drook) - (2)
                                                     Re: "when you understand it" is the problem - (folkert) - (1)
                                                         think he is talking about the actual IP routing to his stuff - (boxley)
                     You are forgetting EDNS. - (folkert) - (1)
                         yabbut not all large isp's are using sech - (boxley)
                     Re: warning, make sure a query returns less than 512k - (folkert) - (1)
                         yup, sorry about that -NT - (boxley)

Beware of things that go blimp in the night...
148 ms