IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New leotard question
mailx works like a champ with no errors. It also doesnt go anywhere. I was trying to set up a cronjob
10,20,30,50 * * * * /sbin/ifconfig -a | mailx -s "macbook whereabouts" my@address
because a cube mates macpro took a walk from his house and I want this one to phone home. With the internal IP as well as the external IP I should be able to locate it Unless it is wiped.
Since mailx isnt working, what guish timed jobs can I do? I usually only use the browser mail and command line, really dont know how to operate one of these.
thanx,
bill
New hmm mail fails because rdns see's at .local
and refuses to accept the mail. So how do I rout via the mail client?
New I was wondering why you were asking about a 'leotard'.
As I wouldn't have thought you and that sort of garment went together.

Then I realized you were asking about Mac OS X "Leopard". Then I realized just what forum you posted in... :-)

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Saw it elsewhere and realized it applied to me
since I understand the darwin base, there is whole realms about how the gooey stuff is put together that escapes me.
New Is postfix running?
By default Mac OS X (non-server version) does not start Postfix.

To start it (and have it auto start), do the following:

$ sudo vi /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.postfix.master.plist

Add the following before the </dict> tag:
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
<key>OnDemand</key>
<false/>

Make sure the the plist is loaded:
$ sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.postfix.master.plist

Then start postfix with:
$ sudo launchctl start org.postfix.master

After that, it should start automatically on reboot. For better deliver-ability (such as a real domain instead of .local) you'd need to do a standard postfix configuration change.

One issue with this "phone home" method, however, is that if port 25 is blocked (which many ISP's do), the mail won't go anywhere until the mac is connected somewhere unblocked. You might be better off (and save the trouble of above) by setting a cron job to periodically hit a webserver you control, such as http://yoursite/mymaclocation and then you'll continually have a log of where your mac is, and port 80 is rarely blocked.
     leotard question - (boxley) - (4)
         hmm mail fails because rdns see's at .local - (boxley)
         I was wondering why you were asking about a 'leotard'. - (static) - (1)
             Saw it elsewhere and realized it applied to me - (boxley)
         Is postfix running? - (jones)

There are some who call me... Tim.
44 ms