IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Jogging the memory
Thinking about it, I think I played one of the Wizard's Crown games. Wizard's Crown 3 I think, but it was a long time ago.

I remember liking a lot of the underlying mechanics of the game, even though the graphics where bad even for ega game. It was all the rules for bleeding and damage multiples that triggered the memory.

If it's the one I'm thinking about, some of the skill mechanics I'm using where influenced by that game. Someone using a skill generates a number from 1 to their maximum and compares it to the target number, if it's higher it works. If the target is a defender in combat they will be generating a number from 1 to their defense rating as the target, static objects have a fixed target number.

The thing I like about this sort of system is that it's very easy to get a skill high enough to have a 75% chance of success but no amount of skill will give you a 100% chance of success. It provides an effective built in curve.

Another thing I recall liking is that when you killed something, the stuff it left behind was based on what it actually had and used. If you killed an orc, when you searched the body you found a suit of chainmail, a sword and some coinage. Kill three orcs, and you would find 3 suits of chainmail, 3 swords, a couple of shields, possibly a helm, and money. None of this monsters dropping healing potions left and right even though they can't use them crap you see in many games.

Jay
New There were only two. :P
The Wizard's Crown and The Eternal Dagger. Otherwise, you've got it right on the noggin.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
     So, help me structure a Java program. - (inthane-chan) - (12)
         Re: So, help me structure a Java program. - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
             Forgot the inventory. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 Area affect attacks. - (inthane-chan)
                 Jogging the memory - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                     There were only two. :P - (inthane-chan)
         Random map generator - (wharris2) - (4)
             You want this site: - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 I don't suppose... - (admin) - (2)
                     No prior experience. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         Heh... - (admin)
         StratEngine development, take 1 - (inthane-chan)
         Code location/release - (inthane-chan)

Thank you, drive through.
63 ms