IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Windows 98 and XP co-existing
My father-in-law wants both 98 and XP if possible on the same system. With the exception of Virtual PC, or some other emulator, can XP be installed to dual boot 98 and XP, or does it need to be installed to another Partition?

I guess I can try it out on my own system first, and if it smegs anything up, I'll know not to use it on his system.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New Re: Windows 98 and XP co-existing
if XP doesn't install to the Windows folder (2000 and NT don't) then it should be fairly easily doable
if XP follows the NT/2000 path then it can install on another partition

but why does he think he wants it?

XP should run anything 98 can

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|http://wxxe.org]
New Two notes.
One, don't install ANY Win9x or NT OS to the same partition as a previous installation. You might be fine for the systemdir, but you'll overwrite stuff in the Program Files directory, and that is a no-no!

Two, XP runs damn near everything. I was VERY impressed with it's DOS compatability mode when I was using it at Microsoft. Not enough to buy it for home, but still...

I wouldn't bother with 98.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Uh, XP doesn't run everything
At least the XP compatability software found at least a dozen programs that it says won't run on XP if I did the upgrade. Included on them was Norton Systemworks, Iomega Zip drive software, Nero (Maybe I have an older version?), and quite a few others. Which means if I want to go to XP, I'll have to ditch those programs or get the upgrades if they exist to work with XP?

I sometimes run abandonware DOS games, I heard that XP does away with most of DOS?

New Doesn't seem to run System Shock 2, either
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New Interesting...
...I was able to run it the last time I tried...
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Hmmm, details?
It locked up on me when I tried to install it; were you running a previously installed with XP upgrade version?
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New Nope.
Ran straight install on a test machine at work with a clean install of the release build of Windows XP. Worked fine.

Go figure.
New Ah, it's the famed XP *consistency* and *reliability* :=)
New It depends on what happens and what version you have
My brother had upgraded to XP Pro, and Civilization III would not install. But I right-clicked on the CD Drive and chose "Explore" and then double-clicked on the setup.exe file. Apparently the Autorun.exe program locks up on W2K and XP? This may be the case with your problems? Alse we did the Windows XP Update to get to the latest version, it may have fixed that issue?

"Will work for fair salary and benefits, seeking company with integrity."
New Re: Uh, XP doesn't run everything
It runs everything that MATTERS, namely Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament.

All else is ephemera.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New XP does run everything?
MS says that you can set XP to emulate a previous MS OS to fun a given executable

Anyone tried this ??

A
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New Mkcompat?
I think this util came with Windows 95 and fooled programs into thinking it was running on Windows 3.X? Sort of the setver for Windows 9X? Does it exist for XP?

New I looked it up for you
Right click on the link of the program that you want to fix.

Click on Properties .

Click on the Compatibility tab.

Click on Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of these:

Windows 95

Windows 98

Windows NT 4

Windows 2000

Under Display settings, check mark the mode that you think that is necessary for the program to work correctly:
Run in 256 colors.

Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.

Disable visual themes.

Click on Apply .

Click on Ok.

Double click on the program.

Would MS lie to You?

A
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New Thanks a lot
that will help out greatly. My brother just upgraded to XP Pro, and just getting Civilization III installed was a challenge. The CD Autorun locked up the machine, but the Right-Click on the CD-ROm drive and selecting "Explore" worked so that we could double-click on the setup.exe program that Autorun was supposed to run. It works in XP, but 2000 knocks the CD-ROM drive out of commission until a reboot is done.

New What I've found...
Norton System Works 2002 does just fine and dandy under XP. I have over 50 major apps (it's part of my job) running on XP, including some pretty demanding ones like Maple 7, SPSS 10.1, etc. I did an inplace upgrade from Win ME (sort of 98...) and the only problems I encountered were...

I had to upgrade from System Works 2000 to 2002, I had a "great time" getting my 3D Prophet card running (fixed by using the CD that came with card - not by using MS drivers), NeoWorx and NeoTrace (Firewall and traceroute programs) needed to be reinstalled. Unreal Tournament needed to be reinstalled... then tweaked.

The benefits I've seen so far, other than a "better" interface (it's subjective), is a much more stable environment. Repeat, XP is much more stable than 98... I have not yet seen a blue screen nor three finger salute (that resulted in the one button salute). All in all, this is MS's best effort to date, bar none.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, take a bow for the new revolution, smile and grin at the change all around, pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday..."

P. Townshend

"Nietzsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones
New NSW 2002
Ok, I know that some of the web stores out there will sell an OEM copy of Norton System Works with any hardware sale. Looks like I may have to buy a copy to get a version working with XP?

New Q
What the hell do you want that junk for anyway? I've never seen ANY positive benefits from System Works, First Aid For Windows, CheckIt, etc etc.

These packages are simply a calculated crack at the wallets of the naive.

Take it from someone who's involved with the care and feeding of Windows every day - save your money.

Peter
Shill For Hire
New Quite.
The best two things in my rather elderly (now) copy of Norton Utilities is a) better unDelete (the Windows one doesn't track DOS deletions) and b) much better defragger.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Correct, better Defrag, and Undelete
Also Disk Doctor and Speed Disk can play MIDI and MP3 files while it works. Kind of nice to listen to musical tunes while the software fixes problems for you.

Also the System Doctor was able to fix some invalid registry enteries, and found at one time over 1000 invalid and missing registration enteries for one of my mother's friends who had major scanner, and printer issues. Once those 1000 registry errors got fixed, her scanner and printer worked again. Without it, I would have had to RRR the system and hope that we backed up all of her data files before we RRR.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Paid $US12 for a 2001 - just to get Ghost..
But I'd never consider allowing it to install all its other crap - except (as mentioned) Undelete. And I'll rely on filters and toy firewall before crippling performance & 'stability' [Hah..] with any &^#$*# virus program / program-virus. Even if the first-bite of that poison cookie is "free" with SysWorks.

(The antivirus folks need a Code Purple soon, to restore sales; natch we paranoids suspect that... )

'Course I've never needed/tried to reinstall a Ghost image - because in my bones I mistrust the entire system to walk, chew gum AND replace itself -- because it is now proven to be: inherently nondeterministic. For me, that's religious faith - I imagine that, for you daily toilers with this crap, it's history (?)

Cheers,

Ashton

Now with Doze3.1(1) - a tried, tested and retested full restore: was possible with a .bat file with ONE LINE = pkzip with lots of switches. OK TWO lines - to tell operator, all is OK. I felt like a Real (script-kiddie) 'programmer' after deducing just the right switches and getting it simple enough for an utter newbie to actually RESTORE everything. Patty used it once at 3am - and it DID SYA. {sigh}

RIP the late great inventor of pkzip :(
New Undelete. Hehehehehehe
After 11 years on UNIX, the idea of "Undelete" is so... quaint to me.

You want it, don't delete it in the first place :-)

Even my Windows boxen have the Recycle Bin turned off. That's taken more than one person by surprise (:=

Peter
Shill For Hire
New Last used ca. 1997 :-) Just.. insurance._____(they all say)
New Now that you mention it...
Mind you, the last time I needed UnDelete was so long ago I can't remember.

UnDelete was so much more useful on diskettes, anyway. With the huge hard drives people have now, there's less need to delete stuff. Just pack it away somewhere. Or leave it where it is, even.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Do you have children?
If not, then you don't need it. Sometimes they like to delete random files on the hard drive. Sometimes they hit an important file. When that happens, you need an undelete program to get it back.

"Hey daddy, what does boot.ini do? I just erased it!" said my son about a Windows XP install I had just done. D'oh!

New Yes
My son is 10. His accounts are unprivileged. End of problem.

If you've got XP set up so that anyone can delete boot.ini, not just an administrator, then that's YOUR problem, not the operating system's.

I tell him "you delete stuff, it's gone, OK?" and he knows exactly where he stands.

Anything that matters can't be touched by unprivileged users on my systems.

Peter
Shill For Hire
New 3 year old hackers
I have a habit of leaving myself logged on. Sometimes he comes in and uses the system when I am not there. I made a system for him to use, but he still wants to use my systems in the basement. My wife lets him go into the computer room and type on the keyboards and click the mouse. I am going to set him up with his own account, and use the system lock when I leave so that it won't happen again.

Windows 98 and XP co-existing - (nking) - (26)
         Re: Windows 98 and XP co-existing - (andread) - (25)
             Two notes. - (inthane-chan) - (24)
                 Uh, XP doesn't run everything - (nking) - (23)
                     Doesn't seem to run System Shock 2, either -NT - (wharris2) - (5)
                         Interesting... - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                             Hmmm, details? - (wharris2) - (3)
                                 Nope. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                     Ah, it's the famed XP *consistency* and *reliability* :=) -NT - (wharris2) - (1)
                                         It depends on what happens and what version you have - (nking)
                     Re: Uh, XP doesn't run everything - (pwhysall) - (4)
                         XP does run everything? - (andread) - (3)
                             Mkcompat? - (nking) - (2)
                                 I looked it up for you - (andread) - (1)
                                     Thanks a lot - (nking)
                     What I've found... - (screamer) - (11)
                         NSW 2002 - (nking) - (10)
                             Q - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                 Quite. - (static) - (1)
                                     Correct, better Defrag, and Undelete - (orion)
                                 Paid $US12 for a 2001 - just to get Ghost.. - (Ashton) - (6)
                                     Undelete. Hehehehehehe - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                         Last used ca. 1997 :-) Just.. insurance._____(they all say) -NT - (Ashton)
                                         Now that you mention it... - (static)
                                         Do you have children? - (orion) - (2)
                                             Yes - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                 3 year old hackers - (orion)

Very small hands... and NO Vaseline.
167 ms