IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Notice to all
I am going to be out of the country for a week or so starting late next week. During that time, if something happens to the server, I will not be around to restart either the server or any services on it. As usual, fallback is to the mailing list, which is still functional.

My apologies in advance if anything unscheduled does happen, but belated honeymoons to Rome take precedence. ;-)
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New belated honeymoon in rome?
for that a motel 6 by the airport works nicely, enjoy rome :-)
New Have a great time! Careful about your money.
J and her sister just got back from a trip there. They had a good time, but there were a few problems that tried to spoil it.

One example: They got some Euros from an ATM after arriving. (It took a while to find one that worked, but that's another story.) The machine only spit out 50E notes. They went to a restaurant and got a pizza. The bill was less than 20E. They paid with a 50E. The waitress only brought back change for a 20E. They argued, but nothing could be done to change things. So, their pizza dinner cost about $50 more than it should have.

:-(

Pick-pockets are bad, too. My dad had his wallet lifted from his front pants pocket on a bus to the Vatican...

So, keep your wits about you and have a great time!

Cheers,
Scott.
New the eurochange scam
That is, unfortunately, a common game played upon obvious (or oblivious) Americans. Anecdotes and testimonies are plentiful, and go back years. It probably helps, when paying with a large denomination bill, to make a point of identifying this when it first changes hands. A particularly brazen or contemptuous waitron will likely deny to your face, upon returning with change, that you ever pointed to the "50," but I would guess that the average petty criminal in the serving class will prefer to prey upon the inattentive, as requiring less effort to lie to.

cordially,
New Yeah, I remember that
made my own change on the establishment, quite the ugly american I was too
New When in Rome....
enjoy. we can wait if something weird happens.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New Also...
...if you're having grief with the list, ping me at peter.whysall@gmail.com and I'll sort you out.
New I hath returned.
Looks like all remains well here. Glad to see the world didn't end while I was AFK. :)

Unedited pictures online at http://www.mikevitale.com/Camera/Rome/ .

Edit: I've now done my usual, and broken them up into "big" and "small" directories. The "big" one is simply original size (which is to say, huge, fit for printing posters from), and the "small" size is 600x400. All photos should otherwise be the same. And they should all be rotated properly, now.
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Expand Edited by mvitale June 6, 2009, 08:27:13 PM EDT
New Woot! It looks like you had a great time. Welcome back!
New awesome, how was the groceries?
New Awesome!
Not a bad thing to eat the entire time we were there -- from sfogliatelle and pizza in Naples (where both originated) to just about everything we ate in Rome. We so need to move there simply for the food. Already considering taking an Italian course so I can learn the language more.
-Mike

New Nice pics- I'm way jealous!
They said I was gullible ... and I believed them
New Thanks for fixing the server!
Glad you had a nice trip!

Brenda
         Have a great time! Careful about your money. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             the eurochange scam - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Yeah, I remember that - (boxley)
         When in Rome.... - (beepster)
         Also... - (pwhysall)
         I hath returned. - (mvitale) - (5)
             Woot! It looks like you had a great time. Welcome back! -NT - (Another Scott)
             awesome, how was the groceries? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Awesome! - (mvitale)
             Nice pics- I'm way jealous! -NT - (Meerkat)
             Thanks for fixing the server! - (Nightowl)

Hey, it's a hard day's work in the pits of Minas Morgul, orking cows all day...
56 ms