IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm no expert...
I haven't played with Parallels 2.x in a while, but AFAIK it uses different graphics drivers than a native install. I'd be surprised if VMWare or the GPL tools were different except in special circumstances. The GUI just isn't as responsive.

I think I downloaded VMWare Server years ago, but don't recall actually using it. I realize things have improved over time. I understand that it's not reasonable to expect that there is *no* overhead in using a hypervisor. I know things are improving, and I applaud the fact that even the free tools are very, very good.

I just wish that if, in a year, I spent $1500-$2000 on a 3.x GHz quad core system with 4-6 GB of RAM, then I could truly seamlessly run Linux, Win2k or XP, and OS X simultaneously on the same desktop. Even if Steve allowed it, I just don't think we're there yet.

It'll be fun to play with it on faster hardware. Maybe next year...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Even in...
VMware Fusion it has accelerated display drivers... and afaict all my first person shooters actually have *HIGHER* frame rates in Fusion (even yes v1.x that I have) than was on the nVidia card I had in the Athlon64 3500+ (GeForce FX 5200 (NV34))

OpenGL perfs are Great, DirectX (whatever version is on my VM) and much other stuff just has ungodly frame rates. (45+ FPS) at most resolutions above 1280x1024.

So, you fail on that line of reasoning.

I literally have *ZERO* performance on video anything in Fusion (nor did I in VMware Workstation for Linux). I don't see your complaint.

Sure Crysis at max resolution and AA and everything enabled SUCKS on everything though... baremetal or not.

If you want a UNIVERSAL machine... PICK ONE and go there. Stop footing around with all of them. PICK ONE AND GO THERE.

I know its easy to say... but I've done it. You are like a crack addict that won't leave it alone. I only have WindowXP on the machine for demonstrable Windows and my Wife's Govt required Daycare reporting application written in Access with remote calls to a "secure" internet DB. (yeah I know) and mainly for her.
New Ok.
I'll shut up when I don't have current knowledge about this stuff.

Oh, and half of the fun about learning is messing around even if it means we don't become experts on one topic because we don't spend enough time in one area. ;-)

Thanks for the info. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who is waiting to see what the next generation of affordable quad-core Apples look like, and trying to decide whether desktops still make sense.)
     OldTimer: Microsoft did it again with Windows 7 - (Another Scott) - (7)
         Doesn't square with my experience. - (pwhysall) - (6)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Ypou've settled for good enough... - (folkert) - (4)
                     I'm no expert... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Even in... - (folkert) - (1)
                             Ok. - (Another Scott)
                     well I use parallels currently - (boxley)

Many died, but in the end, the chickens won.
39 ms