IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I hate Windows.
I've been having problems off-and-on for years in not being able to connect to some shared folders in our Windows workgroup network. I'd be able to see the PC in the Windows browser, but on trying to access the share I'd get the "Incorrect password or username for \share:" popup requesting another username and password. Other machines would be able to login to shares on my PC, so something was funky...

I'd see the same thing on trying to use "net use ..." command line.

The error message in the GUI was unhelpful, and searching Google gave zillions of hits with the usual explanation (turn off your virus protection, use the same login name on both machines, etc., etc.).

Others in my group weren't having troubles, and nobody knew what might be wrong.

Today I tried "net use ..." again and took note of the error number: System Error 1326. Hmm.

A little bit of searching turned up this:
http://www.chicagote...ewtopic.php?t=306

Ah! Security Policies! That rings a bell. Let's see, about 3 years ago we changed the policies on our network for some of the machines. Let's see. The machine that can see my shares has "Send NTLM V2 response onlyrefuse LM & NTLM". I've had to reinstall Windows a couple of times, maybe it's different...

And what do you know, my problematic machine was using something different.

Changed the setting, login again, and voila.

It works.

I hate Windows.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: I hate Windows. forgotten all that narsty stuff
New ..when I installed a USB-2 card in eMachine,
foolishly imagining 9.x would then behave and recognize ... at least a plain vanilla dongle:

After I'd had to do tricks to get the Hardware Demon to find the *#^^#& drivers, all-so-visible either on CD or web ones (same#s) -- and it found, finally, 3 of 4 (Couldn't manage the FW one; forgot that was also on card.)

THEN: first dongle ... DOZE is looking for software to access your new device
Oh Yeah.. I Know where that circle-jerk leads.
It's not enough! to have allegedly OK host drivers: must install new ones for every $*^&%# USB device. One-by-one.

Yashure. Maybe someone else can use that card when the plug is finally pulled. On Disconnect day:
Think I'll make a little celebratory bonfire of a few tens of pounds of DOS books, dance naked around the fire with a couple of witches who Know what to mutter to rid self of Bad-juju; maybe pick up some pointers on fabrication of really effective Dolls + Pins; my present Dibbuk-doll is not having the desired effect -- no mass hospital runs reported in Redmond. Yet.

YPB.. every day at work, eh :-/

Windows: pre-9/11 - subsidized by bin-L.
(Now There's a guy who Knows how to take aim at the places already doing his demolition work, beautifully.)

New Windows networking is arse...
It is well known that Microsoft themselves rely on the Samba source code to document their own networking protocol, because their own code has gotten so convoluted over the years. It's kinda surprising it works at all, really.

Wade.

"Ah -- I take it the doorbell doesn't work?"
     I hate Windows. - (Another Scott) - (3)
         Re: I hate Windows. forgotten all that narsty stuff -NT - (boxley)
         ..when I installed a USB-2 card in eMachine, - (Ashton)
         Windows networking is arse... - (static)

DON'T PANIC
49 ms