IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Forget the paper, what are the *houses* worth?
Historically home prices track inflation. Let's go back pre-bubble, the the last time that correlation was true. Based on that trend line, what should the total value of current mortgage paper be? The difference between that number and the current book value of mortgage deals is the total size of "the problem".
--

Drew
New I think it depends on which "history" you pick.
Apparently houses used to be priced around 2x average annual salaries. Of course, one would exclude areas like SF and NYC, but even then if that were taken as what houses "should" be priced at, then they would still have to fall a lot. Perhaps scaling for increases in average square footage makes sense, but I don't think it would make a huge difference. Over the long term, housing should track real wages.

Another way to look at the prices is here (which covers up to 2006):

http://graphics8.nyt..._graph2.large.gif

Clearly, there was a huge bubble...

Ultimately, houses are worth what people will pay for them. If the prices drop far enough, the market will pick up. Until then, the true value is just a guess. But, at the micro level, it's clear that many many houses have become worthless (or nearly so) in areas that were subject to speculation - http://www.calculate...f-peak-price.html

Cheers,
Scott.
New That graphs shows the issue nicely
And yes, it suggests that home prices still have to come down a lot. I wonder if the new stated value of refis goes into that graph?

What's funny (sad) is the horrible analysis that was going on during the boom. For instance, the FDIC published a report in 2005 titled "U.S. Home Prices: Does Bust Always Follow Boom?" http://www.fdic.gov/...05/050205fyi.html

The sad part about it? "Our February 2005 FYI report examined the historical pattern of home price booms and busts for U.S. metropolitan areas from 1978 through 2003." 1978! That's as far back as the government was looking for trend data and historical reference. Maybe if they'd gone back a bit farther they would have had some more data points in their models.
--

Drew
     Comment on Geithner plan at DeLong's blog - (Another Scott) - (8)
         Depends on what you define as "toxic" - (beepster) - (6)
             Dunno. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Value of those is not price based - (beepster) - (1)
                     See CR. Citi's dumping property and leaving lots of $s. - (Another Scott)
                 Forget the paper, what are the *houses* worth? - (drook) - (2)
                     I think it depends on which "history" you pick. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         That graphs shows the issue nicely - (drook)
         That's not what "everyone" keeps saying - (drook)

Satire is now officially dead. It died from laughing too hard and choking on its own vomit.
34 ms