IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Stop over reacting.
Some updates do indeed have issues.

But, lets remember, exploits (99.999999999999999%) are for ActiveX and Internet Explorer

OSX does not have any problems with these wholly Windows Trojans and while these Trick Pony detectors will detect these problems... they do not affect OSX.

You can disable auto-updates in the proper sections of systems preferences. And they stay disabled.
New Stop imagining my psyche.
(First reply just evanesced.. even after getting its Post# ==> it 'Saved'.. wtf?)

Merely, I am using this likely-trivial 'event' to find out the psyche of This Machine.
Same as when you (well, some of us) get the Factory Manual for a car.
In fact - it Did crash the machine. (And I replaced the seals in my distributor, etc.)

And if Finder is supposed to be a 'file manager' -- I fail (so far) to see why it won't present a box, in all options tried so far, in which I can insert:
/Library/Logs/PanicReporter/2009-02-09-123055.panic

-- I expect it to ask for sudo (apparently) and then
-- Show Me the fucking File!

All sorts of options exist for my making some sense of the 'event', if I really want-to.
(Even the fan-boi mags suggest how Console can be Your Friend, along with Mr. Google. And they're talking to absolute neophytes.)

Maybe I need Rick's actual-File-Manager to do that, but I bloody-well doubt it. Maybe CL will be the only access to the actual File System! given the presumptions about only-GUI users / their Base.

In any event, no paranoia involved. Death to the Uncurious. They are all Bush-league.
If I can't grok enough of the system's normal operations ... I'll have no chance of ever diagnosing something about an abnormal one. That'd be just like walking into a shiny-shiny store and getting a new nb, then finding out It's Got the Vista on it.

(I resolved never to waste the grey-cells, to grok Doze's fluffy-bunny Names. Especially after peering into Extra Pee and its nonsensical menus of Stupid-menus of cutesy process-names.) OTOH, *nix Is parseable and logical. It might even be fun, especially in this incarnation ... because: It Doesn't Piss Me Off.

HTH,

I.

New Shift-Command-G
Type in the path /Library/Logs/PanicReporter.

There's no default application for .panic files, but they're just text and open in TextEdit.
New Thanks - worked
as root. Filed.

Backtrace appears to have nailed the tiny modem or its driver (last 2 dependencies)
com.apple.driver.AppleSM56KUSBModemFamily(1.010)@0x5aea5000 -- to be very very specific, sorta.

(Even if it recurs.. it's borrowed.) Fun.
     iMac panic attack! - (Ashton) - (5)
         Auto-updating... - (static)
         Stop over reacting. - (folkert) - (3)
             Stop imagining my psyche. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Shift-Command-G - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Thanks - worked - (Ashton)

Gleefully participating in the heat death of the Universe!
41 ms