IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Mythic Collapse
I've been predicting it for a while. My first clue: slow, surly service at McDonalds.

The real end: Katrina. Not the storm, the dissonance between our mythic power to overcome all disasters and what we actually did. In the American myth, which I believed as much as anybody, New Orleans might have suffered a setback, many people might have died, but within a few months, a year at the outside, there would be a need to put up memorials to remind people that something bad had happened. Old locals would know that it wasn't exactly as it used to be, but newcomers would have to read the historical markers to distinguish between the restored and the rebuilt.

Mythic collapse is the failure of the stories we tell ourselves that make us who we are. I'm not just talking about mytho-poetics here, although those are vital. There are harder and less pretty myths, like cash (what is unbacked currency?) and credit and the ideas that make technologies work. And constitutions, chains of command, etc. It is all story at heart. And it makes us who we are and gives us meaning and value.

I'm pretty sure that's what happened to the Maya - the story stopped making sense. Remember, they still exist, they just stopped being a major civilization and turned into a bunch of farmers. I know that's what happened to the USSR. Back in the early 1990s, it became obvious that it wasn't the Worker's Paradise and wasn't moving that way and the evil capitalists were actually doing a lot better at providing all the stuff Marx promised. The story stopped compelling, stopped making them who they were, stopped providing meaning. The little story, the ruble, had stopped providing meaning and value a lot earlier.

When the myth holds, the nation/culture does too. It is very, very hard to kill a nation/culture when the mythology is strong. You pretty much have to wipe it out to the last individual. But when the myth fails, the rest just melts away.

I think we are pretty close to that here.

But I don't see the USA breaking up like the USSR. The states LIKE being part of the US. Even in Palin's "pro-America" states, cessesionist movements have no traction. The USSR was held together by force. I have no idea what the wreckage will look like. But I think Obama will be it's first leader, which is pretty much the only bright spot.

New I think you put too much weight on Katrina.
The problem here is New Orleans needs to be abandoned and Katrina gave us the excuse. What do you do with a city that needs giant pumps running 24/7 to keep it above water? Especially in the face of global warming and rising sea levels? What do you do with a city that's tried to contain one of the world's great rivers - and is losing control.

I tell you what you do - you kind of neglect it until the river does what rivers do and we don't have to worry about it any more. That's what's happening there.

Here in California we belong to the Disaster of the Month Club, and it doesn't bother us, but we do laugh at those who bravely say, "We will rebuild" when they are in the very path of disaster - like New Orleans. Well, they're rich so we'll take their money to rebuild and wait for the next opportunity.

Of course, it the US does fall apart - we probably don't want Utah, but we're taking Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon and Washington. If things are really a mess we'll take Baja too. We'll think about Idaho. We don't really want Oregon but it's in the way, between us and Washington.

Our armies will be named DWP and MWD and we'll raise the price of our exported lettuce, artichokes and grapes to pay for it all.

On the other hand, we could decide the Mississippi makes a nifty border.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Dec. 31, 2008, 01:49:56 AM EST
New La República de California, eh?:)
Alex
New Hey
Sometimes you gotta revisit bad decisions.
New Our flag is ready.
Says "Republic of California" right there under the bear.

No, we won't be switching to Spanish. The Chinese, Vietnamese, Thais, Koreans, Armenians, Persians, Tibetans, Indians, Russians and most of the Mexicans and Salvadorans already know English.
New New Orleans is two things
The real, live population center may be disposable, perhaps it would even be better to get rid of it.

The mythical version, however....

We LOST A CITY. We didn't decide to abandon it (ahem - rebuild at a better location) we LOST it. We said we would rebuild it and we FAILED. We lost one of our own cities. Not just any city, one a good many of us have been to. America the invincible does not lose cities.

Russian analyst predicts US breakup - (jay) - (11)
         I think Kunstler is more plausible. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             I welcome the gloomier predictions -- - (Ashton) - (2)
                 geeze, can you at least wait until after 2010 superbowl? -NT - (boxley)
                 Not *JUST* Muricans... - (folkert)
             does he copy and paste :-) its 1973 all over again - (boxley)
         Mythic Collapse - (mhuber) - (5)
             I think you put too much weight on Katrina. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 La República de California, eh?:) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     Hey - (crazy)
                     Our flag is ready. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 New Orleans is two things - (mhuber)

Pilkunnussija.
43 ms