IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I think Kunstler is more plausible.
Russia's in a much bigger mess than we are, because they're so dependent on oil and gas revenue and their economy is still dependent on foreign investment. Their battle with Georgia made many investors nervous.

http://www.bloomberg...5Vpo&refer=europe

The US isn't going to have a civil war or break up any time soon.

If one wants to consider stresses and consequences for the US, Kunstler is more plausible. In his 2009 predictions, he is talking about the DJIA hitting 4000 after a post-inauguration bump:

http://jameshowardku...ast-for-2009.html (it's pretty long)

[...]

A consensus in the blogoshpere says that the stock markets will rebound strongly during the first Obama months. This is possible just on the basis of pure "animal spirits," but the Obama Bounce will occur against a background of continued dismal business and financial news. It will appear to defy that news. By May of 2009, the stock markets will resume crashing with the ultimate destination of a Dow 4000 before the end of the year. Meanwhile, jobs will vanish by the millions and companies will go bankrupt by the thousands, especially in the so-called service sector, and in all the suppliers of such, along with the landlords in all the malls and strip malls. The desolation will mount quickly and will be obvious in the empty storefronts and trash-filled parking lagoons. In the event, two things will become increasingly clear to the nation: that the consumer economy is dead, and that there is no more available credit of the kind that Americans are in the habit of enjoying.

[...]

As Julian Darley of the Post Carbon Institute put it recently: "There won't be any energy bail-out." And, as many other people have noted, the recent plunge in oil prices strongly implies future supply destruction, since so many planned oil projects have been suspended or cancelled because they are economic losers at $40-a-barrel (or even $70). Even projects well underway, such as Canadian tar sand production, have been scaled back or shut down because they don't make sense at current prices. Some of these other newer projects will now never get underway -- they have missed their window of opportunity with so much capital leaving the system -- and so the hope of offsetting very-near-future depletions in old giant oil fields looks dimmer and dimmer.

Those depletions are very serious. For instance, Mexico's super-giant Cantarell oil field, the second-largest ever discovered after Saudi Arabia's Ghawar field, has shown a 30 percent depletion rate in the past year alone. (Pemex had forecast a 15 percent rate entering the year.) Cantarell provides over 60 percent of Mexico's total production, and Mexico is America's third largest source of imports -- just after Saudi Arabia (#2) and Canada (#1). Obviously, Mexico soon will lose its ability to export oil, and as that occurs, America is going to feel more than pinch -- more like a two-by-four upside the head. In short, remorseless depletion is underway and we are less likely now than even a year ago, to make up for it.

[...]

I'll forecast the that the US dollar is worth 40 percent of its current value by next Christmas.

[...]

There's been a lot of sentiment the past year that as the US and the Europe fall into economic disarray, China would emerge as the great new hegemonic superpower. While it's come a long way in a quarter-century, China's internal problems are still enormous and worsening. They're in trouble with water, food imports, mass unemployment, and energy. They have locked in some oil contracts around the world, but they are still susceptible to vagaries in the oil markets and Black Swan events. As the US consumer economy falls into a coma, and the shipping containers from China to WalMart get sparser, the Chinese government will face the wrath of millions of unemployed workers. I believe they will struggle through 2009, perhaps growing more surly as the US dollar inflates and their holdings of treasury bills begins to look more like a swindle.

Russia may be suffering economically for the moment due to the crash of oil prices, but they are energy resource-rich -- at least for the next couple of decades -- and if they don't like the current price, they can keep more of their oil in the ground until the price looks more attractive. I think Mr. Putin has the confidence of the Russian people and will survive the current malaise.

[...]

I think he's too gloomy about the economy, but there's little doubt that it is going to be painful. I fear he may be right about political events around the world. Russia is a wild card - it's hard to know what people really think there. China as well. I recall reading somewhere that China needs 10% annual GDP growth simply to keep up with the migration to the cities. If China's growth rate falls significantly, very bad things could happen.

I don't see a quick end to the battle between Israel and Hamas, either.

All it takes is the rise of a few Milosovics and the world could get even bloodier, and the conditions are converging for that. :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New I welcome the gloomier predictions --
It is historical Fact that Muricans are so perpetually self-absorbed in trivialities, that only a Huge SHOCK !!! can get noses out of fluff-Tee Vee ... longer than to take a pee and fill up the Nacho bowl.

(I said, 'predictions', I welcome -- nobody in right mind would welcome the actuality.)
But unless there are enough and compelling-enough DOOM-scenarios noised about, Reported! about and actually chewed over:
We Will get the Actuality, IMhO.

(meta-prediction™?)

Fortunately too, the effect of the Unexpected-sort of Shocks-in-series -- can also galvanize a rare earth-wide spirit of cooperation
(unless someone as inept as a Shrub were in full-charge of a pivotal (ex-??) Power, in '09.)

Me.. I go for the Improbable -- as the few reliable (!?) Numbers are too depressingly inexorable.

Luck to us all.
Secret Sevice: no snoozing on the job. Wackos R'US
New geeze, can you at least wait until after 2010 superbowl?
New Not *JUST* Muricans...
Its all about the "It doesn't affect me, why should I care?" blase attitude. We have to be on the Brink of devastation to make changes.

IOW, we'd have to be facing *CERTAIN* extinction to change for the better. To stop pillaging to stop raping to stop back stabbing...

We would have to be facing absolutely overwhelming proof everywhere of our downfall (happening in our backyard type of thing) for people to "get it".

We know that [ most | some | a few ] human individuals are smart, but as [ groups | mobs | packs | gaggles ] humans are DUMB and react horribly as they can't be held accountable, or so they think when acting in "concert". The mentality is all over, corporate greed, the "They got theirs, I am too" stuff. The Government "Only protecting the nation" excuses. Many other examples are available and prove to the most part, humanity is doomed, until its too late... because then most will just say "Ah feck it, lets toke it up on the way out! Now, where was fifth of 35yr Scotch?"

Blah blah blah.
New does he copy and paste :-) its 1973 all over again
oil is going to run out!
drill baby drill!!
snnnzzzzzz

http://www.time.com/...71,944743,00.html
     Russian analyst predicts US breakup - (jay) - (11)
         I think Kunstler is more plausible. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             I welcome the gloomier predictions -- - (Ashton) - (2)
                 geeze, can you at least wait until after 2010 superbowl? -NT - (boxley)
                 Not *JUST* Muricans... - (folkert)
             does he copy and paste :-) its 1973 all over again - (boxley)
         Mythic Collapse - (mhuber) - (5)
             I think you put too much weight on Katrina. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 La República de California, eh?:) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     Hey - (crazy)
                     Our flag is ready. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 New Orleans is two things - (mhuber)

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
45 ms