IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: XML < tables
How would you cope with a contacts table that has to store data from international people? You've got UK postcodes (like "TS14 6NG") versus American ones, ("23423")...

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New not sure how internationalism relates to topic
>> How would you cope with a contacts table that has to store data from international people? <<

Why is that a concern related to the issues presented?

I am not sure British "post codes" are the same thing as a zip-code anyhow. Perhaps either make a new field for them, or key the post-codes into the general address textbox.

If 98 percent of all contacts in the DB are U.S., then making special fields or formatting/validation for foreign addresses may not be worth the effort. As long as there is sufficient room to type them in when they do come up.

Making a truely international contact manager with full validation is an entire topic in itself. (I suggest you fork off a new discussion if you want to delve into that).
>> How would you cope with a contacts table that has to store data from international people? <<

Why is that a concern related to the issues presented?
Because the American formatting rules you put there would reject a perfectly legitimate British post code, you numbskull.

I am not sure British "post codes" are the same thing as a zip-code anyhow.
A "zip code" (let's keep the quotes where they're needed) is EXACTLY the same as what the British (and every other civilised country) calls a 'post code', fuckwit. Only in Amerika it needs, apparently, to have a flash-bang name as if it were a toy for five-year-olds.

Perhaps either make a new field for them, or key the post-codes into the general address textbox.
Whoopee, what a great idea! And then we add one column for every bloody country in the world that has different-format postal codes, and fuck up our application logic with selecting *different columns* depending on the value of the Country column!

Even for *you*, that's AWESOMELY FUCKING BRILLIANT, Bryce!

If 98 percent of all contacts in the DB are U.S., then making special fields or formatting/validation for foreign addresses may not be worth the effort. As long as there is sufficient room to type them in when they do come up.
A) And if NOT "98 percent of all contacts in the DB are U.S."?

B) So what's that "validation" _do_, then... If you can just "type them in when they do come up", with no regard to it?!?

Fuck, you're being even more stupid than usual, today...

Making a truely international contact manager with full validation is an entire topic in itself. (I suggest you fork off a new discussion if you want to delve into that).
Let's finish this validation thing *without* any unwarranted assumptions about "98 percent of all contacts in the DB are U.S." first, shall we...? No trying to gallop off into the sunset on fuck-knows-what tangents that come into your, let's be charitable and call it, mind.

So how did you just "type them in when they do come up", again?

And can we have some example code to see how you handle writing adress labels from a database table with ~150 coulmns to choose the postal code from?

Fix basics like that, before you go whining for repositories and other such stuff -- until you do, those are obviously way over your head.

oop.ismad.com
Not half as mad as you, mr Hatter.
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New Trying
Trying to get a discussion moved to the flame forum is not a socially acceptable behavior.

Jay
New Who's trying?
You think *that* was a "flame"?!?

Sheesh...
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New There are a whole range of options. Why fuss about 1sugstn?
>> Because the American formatting rules you put there would reject a perfectly legitimate British post code, you numbskull. <<

Like an IF statement can't fix such?

If rs.country = Brits
....do this
else
....do this
end if

Of course a full-blown int'l system would have to be more systematic. Tables of potential fields and another "link" table of country's to match them to (and a 3rd Country table, of course). A 4th data table may resemble the link table, but with a Value field.

In practice, this is probably overkill except in high-end contact mgmt apps. Looking at the actual pattern, one would probably see there are ways to simplify it.

>> Whoopee, what a great idea! And then we add one column for every bloody country in the world that has different-format postal codes <<

It was only one suggestion among others. Whether we have different fields OR different validation rules for the *same* field is one of those design decisions that would have to be looked into by studying address patterns. If the fields were dynamically generated from a DD-like gizmo, then does not really matter.

>> B) So what's that "validation" _do_, then... If you can just "type them in when they do come up", with no regard to it?!? <<

I don't understand. In the simplest case you just:

If rs.Country = US
. . . validate
end if

IOW, turn off validation if non-US (under the 98% assumption).

Note that not all contacts may have complete info anyhow. IOW, you wouldn't want to force zipcode entry if the keyer does not have zipcode info available. Maybe just a warning. Going with this aproach, we may not need the above IF statement. A British zipcode would simply give a warning, which can be bypassed if not appropriate.

>> And can we have some example code to see how you handle writing adress labels from a database table with ~150 coulmns to choose the postal code from? <<

See above.

If you provide a more specific scenario, I would be glad to exchange psuedo-code with you. You would need to supply things like the country percentages expected, validation intensity needs, etc.

New If one-size-fits-all, then please show your genius
>> That's the second time you have this attitude. Please note that you are turning off validation when it is most useful: on rarely used format which, when mistyped, will cause maximum delay/pain. <<

A small company is generally *not* going to implement a system that checks every country's address for formatting errors.

Do you agree with this?

A large multinational company may indeed want such a system.

And there are millions of in-betweeners who have various ranges of non-US contacts and accuracy needs.

(There might be commercial components for this. I have not checked.)

It is continious. If you have a simple, generic solution for all-size biz's, then lets see it.

Otherwise, stick an object in your pie holes.

Any competent programmer should shudder at a solution like you suggested. Yes, you could leave 5% of the user input unvalidated if you absolutely don't have resources to implement validation. But _you_, the programmer, should explain the risks to your management and fight for a complete solution. You may lose, for a business reason. But you must not fight for the wrong side.

[edited spelling]
Expand Edited by Arkadiy March 1, 2002, 05:07:04 PM EST
New Yes, the programmer should present tradeoffs to customer
I didn't say otherwise. If I accidently implied it, I apologize.
             XML < tables - (tablizer) - (11)
                 Re: XML < tables - (pwhysall) - (9)
                     not sure how internationalism relates to topic - (tablizer) - (8)
                         YAN perfect illustration of the benefits of polymorphism... - (CRConrad) - (7)
                             Trying - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                                 Who's trying? - (CRConrad)
                             There are a whole range of options. Why fuss about 1sugstn? - (tablizer) - (4)
                                 I don't know how to do it, so let's not do it. - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                     If one-size-fits-all, then please show your genius - (tablizer) - (2)
                                         It's not about a small company, - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                             Yes, the programmer should present tradeoffs to customer - (tablizer)
                 Re: XML < tables - (johnu)
         Re: Your favorite UI field management tools/techniques? - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
             Perhaps it is similar to.... - (tablizer)

Diane's as fat can be... aye, Captain aye!
61 ms