IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Fetchmail is the usually recommended solution.
But it requires setting up an MTA on a local box so it has somewhere to 'deliver' the email.

That said, courier (and courier-IMAP) is actually really easy to setup, as is fetchmail. Bogofilter can help with the spam filtering, but it's not a plug-n-play solution with courier; you do have to write a few lines in the .mailfilter file to glue it together. This is my solution, BTW, except my courier MTA actually handles email from the internet, not from fetchmail. I've had as many as 5 PCs accessing the same IMAP store.

Postfix and Exim are also reputed to be easy to setup, but I don't have any experience at doing that.

Wade.
New Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on "fdm"?
I like what I'm reading about "fdm", but I don't know if I'm missing something that would make it more difficult than I think to implement.

http://fdm.sourceforge.net/

fdm is a program to fetch mail and deliver it in various ways depending on a user-supplied ruleset. Mail may be fetched from stdin, IMAP or POP3 servers, or from local maildirs, and filtered based on whether it matches a regexp, its size or age, or the output of a shell command. It can be rewritten by an external process, dropped, left on the server or delivered into maildirs, mboxes, to a file or pipe, or any combination.

[...]

5.8 From maildirs and mboxes

Fetching from maildirs allows fdm to be used to filter mail on the local machine. This is covered more detail in the later section on archiving and searching.

[...]

Thunderbird apparently uses the "mbox" format.

The only thing keeping me from downloading it and trying it out is that it doesn't have a Win32 port, so I'll have to get Kubuntu running on the desktop I would use as the "server" for this. It also doesn't explicitly say that remote mbox files on the network can be processed, but I assume if that is a limitation, then something clever can be done with local copies.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I use getmail.
It pipes messages through spamc.

Easy peasy.
     Central client e-mail repository for multiple PCs? - (Another Scott) - (6)
         Fetchmail is the usually recommended solution. - (static) - (2)
             Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on "fdm"? - (Another Scott)
             I use getmail. - (pwhysall)
         Thanks all. It looks like Thunderbird will do what I need. - (Another Scott)
         atmail has a free version, very spiffy -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Thanks for the pointer. -NT - (Another Scott)

At least their extensions make something resembling sense.
35 ms