IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yeah, but it still bugs me
It's kind of embarrassing when Linux users have more software choices than Mac users do.

Not that I have anything against Linux. I'm teaching UNIX sysadmin next term and I'm giving each of my students an install set of RH 7.2 and I recommended and spec'ed out a Linux build option for the programming classes which includes OpenOffice.

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

- "It could be a torture chamber or a dungeon or a hideous pit or anything!"
- "It's just a student's bedroom, sergeant."
- "You see?"
-- (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)
New Not real surprising there's more Linux than OS X software
I guess there are more Linux boxes out there and they've been around a lot longer. But yeah, I know what you mean about software choice. Sure, good things come to those who wait, but when dealing with computers, most people don't wait. Only clever people who own Macs, I guess :)

Regarding availability of software, I had no reasons to be smug about my Mac ownership recently - there's still catching up to be done in the whole 'digital hub' thing. Sure, it might be 'yesterday-tech', but no support for the White Book VCD filesystem in OS X is a pain, and the software I have for playing SuperVCD files (vlc) has lip-synch issues. Sure, these things will (may) be fixed eventually, but the sad thing is Windows has all this right now.

Of course, this simply means I should quite whingeing and start developing...
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Linux and MacOSX
Yes it is sad that Linux has more support than OSX, despite Macs having more marketshare than Linux. I've also noticed that emulators like MAME and MESS used to come out for MacOS before Windows or Linux, and now it is the other way around?

OSX needs more applications, not just ones in Classic mode, but in OSX native mode. It would be nice if StarOffice or OpenOffice was OSX native. Then they wouldn't need Microsofts MacOffice bloatware.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
     Sun to charge for StarOffice - (admin) - (20)
         Look for more OpenOffice downloads, then -NT - (tjsinclair) - (12)
             I just did. -NT - (imric)
             Did they do an OpenOffice OSX port yet? - (nking) - (10)
                 Re: Did they do an OpenOffice OSX port yet? - (tjsinclair) - (9)
                     Apparently, M$'s MacBU is profitable. - (Meerkat) - (3)
                         Yeah, but it still bugs me - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                             Not real surprising there's more Linux than OS X software - (Meerkat)
                             Linux and MacOSX - (nking)
                     What I'd really like to see... - (screamer) - (4)
                         What kind of finder's fee are you going to ask for ... - (drewk)
                         Makes too much sense, so of course it won't happen. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Bingo! - (a6l6e6x)
                         Hmm, Bill G owns 20% of Corel and Mac owes him - (boxley)
         Thats a shame... - (bepatient) - (2)
             Yes, they do seem to think that - (nking)
             Well, there's always the ZoneAlarm (and others) way. - (a6l6e6x)
         Cool by me - (kmself) - (3)
             That's a neat trick! - (static)
             Sun has to have a way to pay off - (nking)
             I've done that - (cforde)

Perhaps someone needs to clarify a few items in the process so we can actually complete the process.
89 ms