1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New curious, how long does it take for a competent java
developer to learn to maintain PHP?
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New The question is...
... would a competent Java programmer *want* to maintain PHP? :-P

Any decent OO programmer should be able to pick up a new language relatively quickly. It's the libraries and techniques specific to the language that take time to learn.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New well, its a submarine project at this point
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New PHP is a pretty simple language
Anybody that can handle Java should be able to handle PHP. I went from knowing nothing to being able to do an entire simple project in one week, but I already had experience with web scripting. It would take a bit longer if they don't have some experience with designing for web sites and scripting.

The only hard things in PHP are the subtle issues of security, error handling and performance, particularly if the site is open to the public on the internet. But those issues are hard and subtle is every language.

Jay
New This is not hard to answer.
If the 'competant Java programmer' knows a half-dozen languages then PHP is just one more to learn and he should have no problems.

If he knows only Java, then all bets are off.

Wade

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

New Depends

PHP 5 has a much more Java-like feel to it than previous iterations of the language, but it's still a very different beast and so the superficial similarities might be misleading.

\r\n\r\n

And, personally, I wouldn't do "raw" PHP these days for any amount of money; several good frameworks (CakePHP seems to be the best of the lot) have popped up to make the development process quite a bit less painful.

--\r\nYou cooin' with my bird?
     curious, how long does it take for a competent java - (boxley) - (5)
         The question is... - (admin) - (1)
             well, its a submarine project at this point -NT - (boxley)
         PHP is a pretty simple language - (JayMehaffey)
         This is not hard to answer. - (static)
         Depends - (ubernostrum)