IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sweet Grass isn't much used around here except . . .
. . by visiting dignitaries from the plains states and other inland regions.

The general procedure here is to pull some hot coals from the fire (with your fingers if you've got the balls, muscular coordination and experience to know where to grab them) and place them in a large abalone shell. The sage is then piled over and fanned with a hawk wing or whatever you have. The smoke is spread about the premises accompanied by prayers, chanting, drumming or whatever combination works for you.

Of course large abalone shells are hard to get in most places and hawk wings are illegal except for Indians** - and even then are supposed to be certified as natural kill (power line maintenance crews sometimes find freshly killed eagles and hawks and turn them over to local tribes). All is not lost because other natural items can be used.

Note that sweet grass, native to both North America and Eurasia (north of Switzerland), was used on the doorsteps of European churches long before the discovery of America.

** Indians. I've dropped the "Native American" tag on advice. When the film Pocahontas was being made the crew employed a well known cultural figure as a consultant. When asked if they were doing anything that would be particularly offensive to his community he answered, "No, except stop calling us 'Native Americans'. We're Indians". My source here is an interview on KUSC of the guy who wrote the score for the film.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Dec. 2, 2007, 08:26:51 PM EST
New fits for sothron native americans I guess
yupiks just liked to be called people :-) We have the abalone shell. use sweet grass, white sage or cedar to fragrance the house. Have eagle feathers but they stay in the drawer. Our drum hangs on the wall along with other tools and art.
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
     Smudging and psychic vampires - (bionerd) - (13)
         Re: Smudging and psychic vampires - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             I bought a big fat bundle - (bionerd) - (1)
                 "The road of excess leads to a palace of wisdom" - Wm. Blake - (Andrew Grygus)
         And as far as the kids are concerned . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             They get freaked out when I hold a steak knife - (bionerd)
         sweet grass is good for smudging, I like it -NT - (boxley) - (2)
             Sweet Grass isn't much used around here except . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 fits for sothron native americans I guess - (boxley)
         Cool! - (imqwerky) - (1)
             Well, I gotta tell you - (bionerd)
         Wish computers responded... - (folkert) - (1)
             It was also recommended that I smudge my office - (bionerd)
         You were partly stunned? - (warmachine)

Achtung, Laddie!
42 ms