IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yep, agreed -- but it's also an interesting discussion of
why programmers should consider languages outside of the C / C++ / VB / Java / C# universe.

BTW, from my limited experience with the Java Lobby, they're a pretty reasonable group. They certainly don't always like Sun.

Tony
New language choices
Quote:

why programmers should consider languages outside of the C / C++ / VB / Java / C# universe.

What's left for people like me to learn so we can get our resumes past the HR pinheads and into the laps of PHBs? Learning an esoteric language might be fun, but I have to be a fluent programmer in whatever will put bread onto my dinner table at night.

BConnors
"Prepare for metamorphosis. Ready, Kafka?"
New It can make you a better programmer
by opening your mind to different ways of approaching problems.

Many of the scripting languages interact very well with the 'standard' languages like C / C++ and with Win32 / MS stuff (at least, Python has pretty good COM and Win32 support). So another reason is some languages let you do stuff with the 'standard' languages that would very time consuming to do otherwise.

So far I'm enjoying using Python; it can do some really neat things compared to C++. I think it's a more productive language than C++, but the big reason I'm using it (with VB and C++ COM components) is that I can take advantage of its scripting to build in easy customization. C++ is not a good solution for this.

Tony
New How to avoid the "Catch-22"?
You know, "Can't get a job without such-and-such language(s) in your background, and you don't have them in your background because your current employer doesn't use such-and-such language(s)"
BConnors
"Prepare for metamorphosis. Ready, Kafka?"
New Not to move this into the Job forum, but
Don't sell yourself as a cog. YAN nameless, faceless resource for your employer to use, abuse, and throw away. Interview by telling them how you're going to make them money.
---------------------------------
A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
New censorship
>> BTW, from my limited experience with the Java Lobby, they're a pretty reasonable group. <<

Not! When the discussion area about my anti-OO website grew too popular, they *suddenly* removed it from the top of the "hot topics" list into obvlivion. It was at #2 one hour, and then gone from the list the next, despite many fresh posts.

Of course that may just reflect the owners' 3rd-world idiocracy and not the participants.

language choices - (bconnors) - (3)
                 It can make you a better programmer - (tonytib) - (2)
                     How to avoid the "Catch-22"? - (bconnors) - (1)
                         Not to move this into the Job forum, but - (tseliot)
             censorship - (tablizer)
         Very Good - (tuberculosis)

People from Iowa are often kinda dumb, but their English isn't that bad, even though they come from Central America.
92 ms