IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Overstating
you've been watching the Walmart "documentaries", havent you?

May Co and other retailers don't have the same practices of underpaying..so what you are doing is assuming that everybody operates the same way.

1) X-mas help is part time business and filled by flex workers, high school/college kids that are not supporting families. Many of the others are second workers in a homestead. (as is my sis-in law and my niece in law).

2) Full time jobs at retailers do exist and do pay benefits. Not everyone is an hourly front-liner.

3) Your estimates are a shade on the high side.

And there are places where it could be much worse to be unskilled labor...really my main point. I survived 2 years at min wage (5.75). Was it fun? No. Was it possible? Yes. (at least in the part of WV where I was located). Could I have raised a family on it. Not a chance. (your point).
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Ah, the good old days... I remember $2.90/h. ;-)
[link|http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/anth484/minwage.html|Minimum Wage History]. It sure didn't feel like ~$8+ an hour at the time, though.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who is ambivalent about "living wage" rules, but thinks the federal minimum wage is too low.)
[link|http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=006978452673906630972%3A_5xhnlvpsn4|IWeThey Custom Search Engine]
New local prices, local wages
you are right, some retailers have full time with bennies. BJ pays 10.50 an hr for those. I know a woman who has 3 kids that works there, luckily her ex helps out with child support.
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Ummm. No. Dead on.
I was there, remember?

And _I_ was working graveyard at $10/hour - pay that was extraordinary for Macy's. If it wasn't for the fact that I worked like a dog all the time, the job would have gone to the many others that wanted it.

1) X-mas help is part time business and filled by flex workers, high school/college kids that are not supporting families. Many of the others are second workers in a homestead. (as is my sis-in law and my niece in law).

Nope. By either those 'in' with the managers and were permitted overtime (NOT the norm) or by adults using these extra jobs to be able to survive. At least that's the way it was at Macy's.

2) Full time jobs at retailers do exist and do pay benefits. Not everyone is an hourly front-liner.

The ONLY jobs that paid anything more than a wage you could scrape by on were the managers above the sales managers. And THEY weren't rich.

3) Your estimates are a shade on the high side.

Not in my experience.

And it's gotten worse than when you got min wage in WVU. Hell, I wouldn't have believed how bad it is until I experienced it.

I only survived because I had good friends (you included!) that helped. I met people there that did not have friends better off than them. I've helped them when I could since.

The Christmas season and extra work that it provides is vital for the rank and file of America.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

Black Friday shoppers up, but actual sales down - (JayMehaffey) - (9)
         "Pretty much says it all"???? - (bepatient) - (8)
             Every weekend is a horrible weekend for retailers - (hnick) - (7)
                 Ah, forgot. Everyone should get paid like a 6yr college grad - (bepatient) - (6)
                     a living wage in todays economy couple 1 child - (boxley) - (5)
                         Overstating - (bepatient) - (3)
                             Ah, the good old days... I remember $2.90/h. ;-) - (Another Scott)
                             local prices, local wages - (boxley)
                             Ummm. No. Dead on. - (imric)
                         Morgan Spurlock tried it. - (static)

She's kinda got that "tornado bait before the DingDongs work their magic" look.
118 ms