IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Freddie Mac takes surprise big losses
[link|http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/20/news/companies/freddiemac/index.htm?cnn=yes|CNN]
Mortgage financing firm Freddie Mac rocked the credit markets further Tuesday as it reported a large loss along with an $8.1 billion drop in the value of its assets, as it set aside $1.2 billion to cover credit losses.

The firm reported a net loss of $2 billion, or $3.29 a share, in the period, wider than the loss of $715 million, or $1.17 a share, a year earlier.

Analysts surveyed by earnings tracker Thomson First Call had forecast that Freddie would trim losses to 22 cents a share in the period, although how the reported net loss compares to those forecasts could not immediately be determined.

Freddie Mac is supposed to buy only the best quality mortgages and loans, so it was expected to avoid the worst of the credit market problems. But instead it has taken a large hit. Should make for a bad day in the markets, the DOW is down more then 200 already.

It is almost getting funny to watch. We have all these market guys and investors who have been raised on nothing but rising markets and heavily trained to move into the markets on down turns to pick up bargains. But of late it has been a steady pattern of bad news, every time the bargain hunters move in and buy, there is more bad news and the market goes down again.

Eventually however, these guys are going to run out of money to move in with. And then things could get ugly.

Jay
New I picked a great time to start a 401k :-(
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Yes you did. Seriously. Remember, you can't time the market.
[link|http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=006978452673906630972%3A_5xhnlvpsn4|IWeThey Custom Search Engine]
New You buy "when there\ufffds blood in the streets."
You'll be glad you did.

"If you expect to be a net saver during the next five years, should you hope for a higher or lower stock market during that period? Many investors get this one wrong. Even though they are going to be net buyers of stocks for many years to come, they feel elated when stock prices rise and depressed when they fall. Only those who will be sellers of equities in the near future should be happy at seeing stocks rise. Prospective purchasers should much prefer sinking prices."
-- Warren Buffett
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
New well Im at the point where I can save a little
with a match up to 3% Im effectively buying at 1/2 price
40% fund of gommunt securities
15% aggressive overseas
balance in an index fund
Ive been in realestate most of the time but bench periods ate up my winnings, with real estate stagnant I cant hope to build equity.
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Anyone not taking advantage of company match is...
an utter idiot! It's free money for crying out loud! Granted it's tying up some funds that would otherwise be pissed away.
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
New "I picked the wrong time to stop sniffing glue." :-D
Smile,
Amy
New Looks like I picked the wrong time to quit amphetamines.
Just kidding!

Where did you get that dress? Its aweful . . . and those shoes, and that coat, geez!
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
     Freddie Mac takes surprise big losses - (JayMehaffey) - (7)
         I picked a great time to start a 401k :-( -NT - (boxley) - (6)
             Yes you did. Seriously. Remember, you can't time the market. -NT - (Another Scott)
             You buy "when there\ufffds blood in the streets." - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                 well Im at the point where I can save a little - (boxley) - (1)
                     Anyone not taking advantage of company match is... - (a6l6e6x)
             "I picked the wrong time to stop sniffing glue." :-D -NT - (imqwerky) - (1)
                 Looks like I picked the wrong time to quit amphetamines. - (bepatient)

My Mom, who is vacationing in Aruba...
93 ms