IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 4 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Record losses on Wall Street, Record bonus payouts
[link|http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ahE8xVisWsbE&refer=home|Bloomberg]
Shareholders in the securities industry are having their worst year since 2002, losing $74 billion of their equity. That won't prevent Wall Street from paying record bonuses, totaling almost $38 billion.

That money, split among about 186,000 workers at Goldman Sachs Group Inc., Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch & Co., Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and Bear Stearns Cos., equates to an average of $201,500 per person, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The five biggest U.S. securities firms paid $36 billion to employees last year.

Nice, the average Wall Street employee will get a bonus more then twice my yearly salary. This despite it being a terrible year on Wall Street in general.

Jay
New Goldman Sachs was "net short" on the sub-prime mess.
In other words they made a buck on the situation. As far as I've heard, they are the only ones of the firms listed that did so.

So, perhaps the GS folks deserve their bonuses. I agree the bonuses are on the obscene side.

At the moment, I am a GS stockholder. GS is up over 40% since purchase in August of last year.
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
     Record losses on Wall Street, Record bonus payouts - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
         Goldman Sachs was "net short" on the sub-prime mess. - (a6l6e6x)

TARDIS powered!
39 ms