IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New All of which causes me to pine for my 'Ami-6' ...
That's a Citro\ufffdn "six taxable HP, en Francaise". A kinda upscale, less-slab-sided version of that legendary Deux Cheveaux (2-CV) which most would recognize.

{Sob} - was destroyed many moons ago by a jerk gawking at a friend in a filling station, about 4 blocks from home. Gutless, indestructible 2-cyl. air cooled engine - beat MPG of transistorized $20K+ toys du jour -- designed ~ 50 years ago. Rubber bands formed the seat bottoms; it was a comfortable baby-buggy, entirely suited for non-manic motoring, with the usual caveat in a land of cel-fone distracted speeding Assault Vehicles: vulnerable to F=MA (especially '-MA'.)

I see present luxo-barge being retired long before its half-life is even dented. Will welcome that, even (just as I'd hoped in '73) - but Muricans will fight to the end for those $Gawd-given Rights-to-Excess. Predictaby.. even as foreclosure looms.

But we knew that.

New There's a 2CV on the road around here that I see sometimes.
She commutes on the Beltway in the mornings. Brave woman. :-)

I've never seen an [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_Ami|Ami]. They still made them until 1978! You must have some fun memories. There's one on [link|http://cgi.ebay.com/CITROEN-AMI-6-1961-1-43_W0QQitemZ110145203209QQcmdZViewItem|ebay].

;-)

There are going to be a lot of business opportunities when the oil production plateau becomes common knowledge. It would be nice to think that it'll cause real changes in [link|http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/cafe/overview.htm|CAFE] and the like, but I can't help but think back to the late '70s and the giant conversion vans that were popular during those times... :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks for nostalgia link -
Esp. [link|http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-cars/michelin/ami/ami-6/ami-6-01.html| this one] showing a factory lot-full. {sniff} Alas, I can't even recall its year (as regards the gradual HP increases.)

Pity that we lost the Citro\ufffdn US distributor, when it became clear that Muricans just would Not keep the hydraulic fluid changed/clean -- thus eating away at everything from brakes to suspension.. thus an undeserved 'unreliable' tag; yeah: blame the mfg for your slovenliness.

(I owned several of the larger DS ~'Day-Ess' == Goddess; two bought new, one DS-21 picked up in Paris. Nary a problem, just ordinary pretty simple maintenance. Slick body drag coeff. == decent mileage cruising at 80+)

I'd have one now, most likely, if US distrib. had remained -- despite awareness of the overall mechanical, assembly superiority of the early-'90s Japanese sleds built for the Upwardly Mobile.) No matter that the Ami had none of that complexity, either; then as now, only few Muricans appreciate the stress-free simplicity of underpowered things (does Puritanism cause National penis-envy?) I see why they left -- no change in our HP obsession.

Should be an Interesting next decade - maybe old 2-CVs will bring $10K+ -??- perfect reverse-status symbol while sneering at the expense of the hybrids, especially when the battery packs die. Love. It.

The Oil Drum: 12.5 MBbl/day oil production shortfall by 2015 - (Another Scott) - (12)
         The fun part of oil.... - (Simon_Jester) - (8)
             And vice-versa. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott) - (7)
                 The Wall Street Journal came out against ethanol . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                     And why does **anyone** believe anything ... - (jb4) - (5)
                         It tells you what the Capitalist Running Dogs are . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                             Rather beg to differ - (jb4) - (3)
                                 Can't agree to that - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                     A guy where I worked many years ago . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Barron's sample. - (a6l6e6x)
         All of which causes me to pine for my 'Ami-6' ... - (Ashton) - (2)
             There's a 2CV on the road around here that I see sometimes. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Thanks for nostalgia link - - (Ashton)

You got the chainsaw. Now find some meat!
69 ms