IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Bike suggestions?
My oldest has suddenly found a passion for bike riding, after spending 13 years blissfully content with not knowing how to ride one.

My wife has one, as do both the boys, but right now all I have is a rusty Schwinn (model POS) 10-speed touring bike that was found by my wife with a sign "free bike" on it in one of the neighbors' yards. Since our bike trails are gravel and a bit rough in places, this is not sufficient.

So, any suggestions on trail bikes?
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Pick a budget. I think they're all about the same...
I've got a Specialized Crossroads XP (a "hybrid" bike) that's served me well. It's beefier than a racing bike, but has narrower tires than a trail bike (700c-32 tires with Schrader valves, 75 psi). It's perfect for paved trails, I think. I bought it new about 15 years ago at a shop that was moving so everything was on sale.

We've also got a couple of recent Jamis bikes (a Coda, and a Coda Comp) that are similar, but they're more like straight-bar racing bikes (700c-28 tires with Presta valves, 90 psi). They're Ok, but I think they use lower-end components than the XP (which makes sense since the list price of the 15 year old XP was higher than the Jamis prices).

I've ridden a friend's Trek aluminum-framed trail bike and it was pretty nice. It was about a $1000 bike that he got for less than half that at a pawn shop. I think it would be tiring to ride on paved trails because the tires are so wide and knobby.

Since all the frames are probably made in the same handful of factories in the far east, and since the components come from a handful of manufacturers, there probably isn't much difference between the brands unless you're paying over $1000. Pick a price point and see what's comfortable. Check the want ads, too. There's probably quite a selection for low prices.

Higher end bikes have Presta valves which should be more air tight than Schrader valves, but they strike me as just being a pain in the neck because you have to use an adapter to pump them up with most air supplies, and they leak as much as Schraders in my experience.

HTH a bit. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New We bought a Haro for Mike
He's about 5'9", 185. I can't be as technical as Scottie but the tires are sturdy, you don't need an adapter to air it up, the frame is lightweight enough with that cool suspension and the braking is superior.

We spent a little over $300 for it at the local bike mart. You could also see if you have Play It Again Sports in your area to pick up a fancy, schmancy bike if that is your flavor.

Smile,
Amy
New here is what you need
[link|http://www.whizzermotorbike.com/|http://www.whizzermotorbike.com/]
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Yep, that will get you in shape! :)
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
New Re: Bike suggestions?
Well, as Scott suggests, start with a price-point. You can easily spend over $5000 on a really really nice bike, but I would think that's not what you're going for.

However, $800 will get you a nice (not top-of-the-line, but decent) 21-speed hybrid that you can use for both road and crushed-limestone/gravel riding. If you're going to be doing lots of chunk gravel riding, I would suggest not getting "road slick" tires (like I use on my bike), but also not full-on heavy knobby tires. There are some "in between" tires that are not-great for either straight-road or straight-gravel riding, but decent for both.

My biggest suggestion here would be to go to a real bike shop, not your local SportMart, KMart, Wal-Mart, etc. Go to a place that sells bikes, and only bikes. You'll get the right attention paid to making sure that you're a good fit for your bike, and vice versa. The *-Mart stores don't know what they're doing when it comes to that. (Trust me, I'm still riding a bike purchased at SportMart, and I've got over 5,000 miles on it.)
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Yamaha RZ-250?
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0  2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
Alternate Fingerprint: 09F9 1102 9D74  E35B D841 56C5 6356 88C0
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2
     Bike suggestions? - (admin) - (6)
         Pick a budget. I think they're all about the same... - (Another Scott)
         We bought a Haro for Mike - (imqwerky)
         here is what you need - (boxley) - (1)
             Yep, that will get you in shape! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Re: Bike suggestions? - (Yendor)
         Yamaha RZ-250? -NT - (folkert)

Holy cow! NONE of us have opposable thumbs!
86 ms