IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Few countries are as bad as Pakistan
Though the Turkish barely understand the concept of human rights, at least they're secular and aren't tribal nor misogynist. That's not saying much but that can't be said of Pakistan or Saudi Arabia.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New {sigh} There really Isn't much to be said, currently
- for a discouragingly large plurality of the human infestation of this once jewel-like planetary oasis, is there?

(Speciecide used to seem the largest imagined horror, yet we could see that.. still, there would likely be replacements.)

With nukes massively everywhere now, Planeticide trumps, as #1 Imaginable Horror -- so that, just maybe, the evolution of 'opposed-thumbs' -??- shall have demonstrated the limits of Evolution itself: another self-terminating process? or just asymptotic to one.

New Re: {sigh} There really Isn't much to be said, currently
(I have noticed some pessimism has crept into some of your replies lately.)

Sometimes

Sometimes things don't go, after all
from bad to worse. Some years muscadel
faces down frost; green thrives; the crops don't fail,
sometimes a man aims high, and all goes well.

A people sometimes will step back from war;
elect an honest man; decide they care
enough, that they can't leave some stranger poor.
Some men become what they were born for.

Sometimes our best efforts do not go
amiss; sometimes we do as we mean to.
The sun will sometimes melt a field of sorrow
that seemed hard frozen: may it happen for you.

- Sheila Pugh

New Sure, I 'count on that effect', too -
The utterly Unlikely is often what we so rely upon, instead of sane action on behalf of recently-clear probabilities of our actions. (I don't worry pretty-little head over whether the species Makes It, rilly I Don't. I think the Cosmos is ever so much 'brighter' than its denizens + egos, I guess.)

But isn't it pathetic that, as homo-sap so regularly gallops off into another quagmire / very-like some recent one ... as it plays out to a seeming dire result, yet again: we. always. hope. for some miraculously better result than the quite most probable one? I just don't much like being associated with such a demonstrated pack of iggerant loosers, y'know?

There *are* nukes now. And the mondo superstitious are feathering their armageddon fantasies - via all the modrin tech tools n'toys, a prayin fer a First Class ticket to the sky: They have {within} embraced the lovely idea of denouement already. No need to try to break suicidal habits: it's Gawd's Will cha cha. Cha.

The Nukes + the fleeing to base superstition, here in Century MM - are a qualitative change in the species' capability of Fucking-up ... not just for a generation or two nor via the massacring of a few millions? \ufffd, ie the usual stuff --always arranged by bloviations and cigars around one Green Table or another. Nope: 'We' are regressing just as the threat is exponentially greater. IMO

As we seem incapable of learning even the most basic things about the patent abuses of power / how to recognize those who crave it for personal psychotic ends -- is it not appropriate to point out, now and again -- perhaps in terms more suited to the modern/average consumer of stuff:

Expecting Luck to Grant You Seventeen Straight Passes at the dice table:
may get you that burned out cinder (mentioned by Klaatu in, The Day the Earth Stood Still -- way back in 1951.)

My cat has superior 'moral's to the whole bloody species. And she's supposed to be a'predator'!
But she'd never incinerate her stalking grounds. >We Would.<

What other reason can it be, that that movie became a cult flic? --
And, two years before the beginning of the somnolence of the Ike Years.
(Few years back there was a bitchin web site with bios, etc. till they ran out of e-$$, apparently..)

-- unless it is ~ because Director Wise + Michael Rennie's alien character pegged the species so starkly, and just as McCarthy began to beat the fear drum rilly hard; fear that -??- just maybe them commies might win the propaganda war! over rugged induhvidual-like capitalism :-0 Etc.

It's been 56 years.. has anything changed?
New My cat, also.
Thank you very much for your reply, it gave me a great deal to ponder. 56 years later, not much has really changed. Politicians wash in and out of office like rotting kelp on the autumn tide. There are wars and rumors of wars.

Two things come to mind with respect to humankind, et al:

1. Bought this about 3-4 years ago, fascinating reading.
[link|http://www.amazon.com/Parasite-Rex-Bizarre-Dangerous-Creatures/dp/074320011X/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-8746655-9167835?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193242687&sr=8-2|http://www.amazon.co...1193242687&sr=8-2]

"Zimmer concludes that humankind itself is a new kind of parasite, one that preys on the entire Earth. "

2. George Carlin's "The Planet Is Fine"

[...] "Besides, there is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are fucked. "

It can be seen on YouTube or the transcript is here:
[link|http://www.habitablezone.com/flame/messages/420992.html|http://www.habitable...sages/420992.html]

So here's a toast to Klaatu, wherever you are, and thank you again, Ashton, for your careful and considered posting.
New Mrrrowr
A nicely provocative selection.. and thanks for kind words. I fear that Michael Rennie has left the stage, though his performance is immortalized - now on DVD. (My first comm'l tape purchase ever, was a Beta copy of TDTESS; it's still good fi.)

Carlin - His Napalm and Silly Putty wasn't up to previous, I thought though he's always irreverent enough for me. But this gem, only a year old - makes clear he hasn't lost focus: we Are (mostly) the arrogant pricks he adequately describes. Yep 200 years.. VS 4.5 Big Ones - and already we're aiming for radionuclides galore: ever in-the-name-of various Princes of Peace\ufffd.

It's also the 50th for Ginsburg's Howl - still as topical as the day its ban was attempted by the SF PeeDee. (Should have had my early one signed! I was living in SF then.)

Parasites.. pretty good metaphor, sadly - reminds of a similar book, "Life on Man" and those scary looking minidragons which inhabit our eyebrows. Another variant: the wag who noted that - seen from space, as you near the planet - "Man's works appear grey - man appears to be a planetary parasite." QED
Apparently "everything-IS-connected-to Everything else"! as Ashley Brilliant's cute postcard (on fridge) reminds.

Was pondering recently, how it was that (as in my early classes too) 'we' so abjectly infantilize our kids with BS pap about our perpetual National Goodness; I was trying to recall actual moments when - a piece of the pap-fabric was 'found out', rendered forever as another small tile in the mosaic of The Larger Lie? Two came immediately:

One.. a summer in Lewiston, Idaho, before starting in an Institute in fall: working in world's largest white pine mill. A dept. store salesman friend of the (school friend's) family with whom I was staying, mentioned both Veblen and Philip Wylie's *'momism' opus [[link|http://www.library.csi.cuny.edu/dept/history/lavender/momism.html|Generation of Vipers]] -- apparently plumbing the depths of my callowness and seeing the need for a prod or two. (Thanks! guy..)

* Written '42: Twenty printings by 1955. (Wonder if anyone still reads Wylie? Clearly they don't read Sinclair Lewis's take on home-grown fascism of the '30s.)

But well prior to that summer (and *cough* a solo accomplishment) I recall vividly the comic book story [Captain Marvel, most likely] which 'explained' with perfect brevity: what Waste is! -- all in an only seemingly-trite plot involving an alien "stealing street signs because his planet was running out of iron.."

Nay, twas crystalline in its clarity, though only years later was I able to see an Example, then immediately recall the story. (Physics later on, merely gave the tools to Measure the sorts of waste: energy or objects, or maybe if one includes information theory? the 'waste' of bloviating.) Al punte, beyond any of the required texts later.

I do not comprehend how it is that that there are people 50+ today.. who never got past the sensibilities of my pre-cog Lewiston summer. Something in US water which puts a %large of neurons in stasis? There's good news amidst the daily dross, though -- it seems to be always the case that, <1% of the population only ever 'Does' anything. Now if one ever finds self in the majority, well - -

Hard to bear that we have before us: One Whole Year of the asinine and crass Murican-politico Lying / routine character assassination - before any Action is even possible. Ah, to be on Corfu for that year! With NO wireless netstuff. Mail once a month?

Ashton

New Youth
>>> ...apparently plumbing the depths of my callowness and seeing the need for a prod or two.

Ah, callow youth. I, too was pointed to that very tome (..Vipers) while a sophomore in high school. This led to a reading binge which included Vance Packard (Hidden Persuaders), Lionel Tiger (Imperial Animal), Ashley Montegue (Natual Superiority of Women), Konrad Lorenz (On Aggression) and many, many others. Hasn't stopped now, 4-5 decades later. (Of course, my parents helped - led me to the Chicago Public Library and said "this door is not locked".)

For better or worse, school is the place to set youth on their future path. Too bad so many districts suffer from low budgets and other woes.

Thanks for the memory jog!
Expand Edited by dmcarls Oct. 25, 2007, 09:45:42 AM EDT
New Thanks for the reading list
I consider myself well-read, but now find I have some catching-up to do.

Onward to the library!
Smile,
Amy
New For various values of Turkey...
Secular holds for now, but non-tribal and non-misogynist only hold in the European parts. For the rest...

[link|http://www.library.cornell.edu/colldev/mideast/dilberk.htm|http://www.library.c...deast/dilberk.htm]

The above is just a quick grab off Google, but this problem is not getting any better. It is actually spreading through Europe now as immigrant families are forging more connections back to Turkey leading to an increased import of "traditional values".
New Damn! My Turkish geography isn't as good as I thought.
I guess Ataturk wasn't as revolutionary as I thought.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New it isnt much better in Sicillian villages
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
     Turkish / Iraq border on verge of open warfare - (JayMehaffey) - (24)
         Remind me, why exactly should these Asiatic... - (CRConrad) - (23)
             Few countries are as bad as Pakistan - (warmachine) - (10)
                 {sigh} There really Isn't much to be said, currently - (Ashton) - (6)
                     Re: {sigh} There really Isn't much to be said, currently - (dmcarls) - (5)
                         Sure, I 'count on that effect', too - - (Ashton) - (4)
                             My cat, also. - (dmcarls) - (3)
                                 Mrrrowr - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     Youth - (dmcarls) - (1)
                                         Thanks for the reading list - (imqwerky)
                 For various values of Turkey... - (scoenye) - (2)
                     Damn! My Turkish geography isn't as good as I thought. - (warmachine)
                     it isnt much better in Sicillian villages -NT - (boxley)
             Iraq is joining the euro union? - (boxley) - (11)
                 What the ... - (CRConrad) - (9)
                     okies - (boxley) - (8)
                         You know, that's not nearly as silly as it sounds. - (static)
                         Byzantium was not Turkey. - (CRConrad) - (6)
                             1918 was centuries ago? one maybe - (boxley) - (5)
                                 "Lots"? Consult a freaking map, you nitwit - it's ONE CITY! -NT - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                     thrace is not a city, its a province - (boxley) - (3)
                                         Single city and a wee bit of surrounding countryside, sheesh - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                             like we dont have trouble keeping them out now - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 That would be the Neighborhood policy - (scoenye)
                 Disregard, fumble-fingered duplicate -NT - (CRConrad)

It's like an ee cummings poem written using only the usernames a website suggests when the one you want is taken.
67 ms