IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How Robust is the Current Economic Expansion?
Some proponents of the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts have argued that the economic and employment growth of the past few years establishes that these tax cuts are \ufffdworking\ufffd and have had strong beneficial effects.

Examination of a broad range of key economic indicators, however, indicates that this economic expansion has not been especially robust. To the contrary, relative to expansionary periods in the past, the current recovery has, on balance, been somewhat weaker than average. In fact, with respect to GDP, consumption, investment, wage and salary, and employment growth, the current period is either the weakest or among the weakest since World War II.

Moreover, the economy\ufffds performance over the past five and a half years has overall been weaker than its performance in the early 1990s, in years following significant tax increases. GDP growth has been slightly weaker than in the 1990s, and job creation, wage and salary growth, and investment growth have been substantially weaker.

From [link|http://www.cbpp.org/8-9-05bud.htm|The current expansion has been weaker than average, only corp profits have grown] 
Seamus
Expand Edited by Seamus Oct. 5, 2007, 01:06:55 PM EDT
New the war costs are going to hit us with massive inflation
just like vietname came home to roost in the late 70's. Your site is a tad biased dont you think? Not a person who believes in profit to be found anywhere on the board.
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Why is it biased? Its stated goal to look at
budget policies from the perspective of low-income citizens. That by itself doesn't make it biased. Now, if they didn't state that up front, then you would have a point.
Seamus
New The fact that it has done this
in the face of a doubling of the cost of energy, and compare that to what happened to the economy mid 70s and I think this expansion, while "ordinary" from a numbers perspective is actually damned surprising.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Or it could be that the ecomony is getting used to
fluctuating oil prices.

The discrepancy in the growth of corporate profits being so much stronger than the other indicators is what worries me for the long term health of the economy.
Seamus
New Some are....some aren't
Look at Toyota and GM.

GM's Hummers, which made them massive profits per unit....suddenly aren't selling as well.

Toyota, with tech licensed from Ford, is still making a bundle.
     How Robust is the Current Economic Expansion? - (Seamus) - (5)
         the war costs are going to hit us with massive inflation - (boxley) - (1)
             Why is it biased? Its stated goal to look at - (Seamus)
         The fact that it has done this - (bepatient) - (2)
             Or it could be that the ecomony is getting used to - (Seamus) - (1)
                 Some are....some aren't - (Simon_Jester)

It was Plato, after all, who wrote that the pinnacle of human inquiry was the listicle.
44 ms