IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That's a word that conjures up bad memories
With my son's sensory integration dysfunction came a lot of therapies. Physical therapy, occupational therapy and the dreaded vision therapy. His eyes werent working together and were sending inconsistent and inaccurate information to his brain. He had a difficult time interpreting the world around him. We would have to sit for an hour a night for months on end, doing his vision exercises, one of which was saccades. It was grueling.

I never thought of it in terms of objective reality framework, though. I will have to give this some more thought.
New Sorry to bring back grueling memories. (Test enclosed.)
:-(

Another part of that NS article talks about false memories. :-D

6 Made-up memories

A FEW years ago, the actor Alan Alda visited a group of memory researchers at the University of California, Irvine, for a TV show he was making. During a picnic lunch, one of the scientists offered Alda a hard-boiled egg. He turned it down, explaining that as a child he had made himself sick eating too many eggs.

In fact, this had never happened, yet Alda believed it was real. How so? The egg incident was a false memory planted by one of UC Irvine's researchers, Elizabeth Loftus.

Before the visit, Loftus had sent Alda a questionnaire about his food preferences and personality. She later told him that a computer analysis of his answers had revealed some facts about his childhood, including that he once made himself sick eating too many eggs. There was no such analysis but it was enough to convince Alda.

Your memory may feel like a reliable record of the past, but it is not. Loftus has spent the past 30 years studying the ease with which we can form "memories" of nonexistent events. She has convinced countless people that they have seen or done things when they haven't - even quite extreme events such as being attacked by animals or almost drowning. Her work has revealed much about how our brains form and retain memories.

While we wouldn't want to plant a memory of a nonexistent childhood trauma in your own brain, there is a less dramatic demonstration of how easy it is to form a false memory called the Deese-Roediger-McDermott paradigm. Read the first two lists of words and pause for a few minutes. Then read list 3 and put a tick against the words that were in the first two. Now go back and check your answers...

List 1
apple, vegetable, orange, kiwi, citrus, ripe, pear, banana, berry, cherry, basket, juice, salad, bowl, cocktail

List 2
web, insect, bug, fright, fly, arachnid, crawl, tarantula, poison, bite, creepy, animal, ugly, feelers, small

(Now wait a few minutes)

A follow-up to this post will have List 3.

Cheers,
Scott.
New List 3.
Don't read this list until a couple of minutes have passed since reading List 1 and 2. Otherwise, you're a cheater!!!!111

:-)

List 3
happy, woman, winter, circus, spider, feather, citrus, ugly, robber, piano, goat, ground, cherry, bitter, insect, fruit, suburb, kiwi, quick, mouse, pile, fish

:-)

The refer the reader to [link|http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Hacks-Tricks-Using-Brain/dp/0596007795|Mind Hacks] for more information. It is pretty good.

Cheers,
Scott.
New My list
So I imagined one (or tightened / broadened a category)
and almost forgot one.

spider, <- Arachnid / tarantula
citrus,
ugly,
cherry,
insect,
kiwi,

maybe fruit
     Saccades - (Another Scott) - (5)
         Thanks! Interesting indeed. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         That's a word that conjures up bad memories - (Lily) - (3)
             Sorry to bring back grueling memories. (Test enclosed.) - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 List 3. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     My list - (crazy)

Pre-Pass Follow in-cab signals.
147 ms