IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nursing Home Hell
[link|http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/23/business/23nursing.html?hp=&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1190556284-GBkzVXUjefoa8PKRpuCWpA|Link] 

Habana Health Care Center, a 150-bed nursing home in Tampa, Fla., was struggling when a group of large private investment firms purchased it and 48 other nursing homes in 2002.

The facility\ufffds managers quickly cut costs. Within months, the number of clinical registered nurses at the home was half what it had been a year earlier, records collected by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services indicate. Budgets for nursing supplies, resident activities and other services also fell, according to Florida\ufffds Agency for Health Care Administration.

The investors and operators were soon earning millions of dollars a year from their 49 homes.

Residents fared less well. Over three years, 15 at Habana died from what their families contend was negligent care in lawsuits filed in state court. Regulators repeatedly warned the home that staff levels were below mandatory minimums. When regulators visited, they found malfunctioning fire doors, unhygienic kitchens and a resident using a leg brace that was broken.

\ufffdThey\ufffdve created a hellhole,\ufffd said Vivian Hewitt, who sued Habana in 2004 when her mother died after a large bedsore became infected by feces.

Habana is one of thousands of nursing homes across the nation that large Wall Street investment companies have bought or agreed to acquire in recent years.

Those investors include prominent private equity firms like Warburg Pincus and the Carlyle Group, better known for buying companies like Dunkin\ufffd Donuts.

As such investors have acquired nursing homes, they have often reduced costs, increased profits and quickly resold facilities for significant gains.

But by many regulatory benchmarks, residents at those nursing homes are worse off, on average, than they were under previous owners, according to an analysis by The New York Times of data collected by government agencies from 2000 to 2006.

The Times analysis shows that, as at Habana, managers at many other nursing homes acquired by large private investors have cut expenses and staff, sometimes below minimum legal requirements.

The typical large chain owned by an investment company in 2005 earned $1,700 a resident, according to reports filed by the facilities. Those homes, on average, were 41 percent more profitable than the average facility.

But, as in the case of Habana, cutting costs has become an issue at homes owned by large investment groups.

\ufffdThe first thing owners do is lay off nurses and other staff that are essential to keeping patients safe,\ufffd said Charlene Harrington, a professor at the University of California in San Francisco who studies nursing homes. In her opinion, she added, \ufffdchains have made a lot of money by cutting nurses, but it\ufffds at the cost of human lives.\ufffd

My mother spent a few weeks rehabing in a nursing home after she suffering from [link|http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/c-difficile/DS00736|c diff]  and even though it was a decent facility, I very glad she didn't have to spend a lot of time there. It is not a job I could do, working at a nursing home.

The fact that there are people who justify flouting the rules and regulations to make millions of dollars and use corporate structures to effectively make the organizations unaccountable to anyone but themselves have the gall to say that they are saving the industry makes me incredibly angry. I am not sure how to close the loopholes mentioned in the story, but I wish I knew.
Seamus
New We're going to see more of this
with the aging boomer population. But I have a strong feeling that it won't last. It is obviously repugnant and as more cases come to light, this type of practice will come to a screeching halt.

/me shakes her head in dismay.
Smile,
Amy
New Yeah, when the "Me, Me, Me" boomers hith the market . . .
. . there's bound to be a ruckus.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Dunno...
I expect some things to change with increased regulation (or at least more enforcement of existing rules) under the Democrats.

But I don't know that there's going to be a huge outcry for better conditions in nursing homes. As long as there are extreme pressures to maximize profit, there's going to be pressure to cut costs. And old, frail people who can't take care of themselves are going to be the easiest target.

IME, nursing home administrators often have a blindness to what really goes on in their institutions. It's very common for the staff to be overworked, to not have consistent work hours, to be under pressure to find ways to minimize their workload to get things done during their shifts. The administration talks the right talk, but they don't really know about what goes on day-to-day.

We had to move my MIL to a local nursing home on the 4th. She was getting to be too much for one aid to handle at home during the day due to her Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, and we had work pressures that meant we were going to have to be away more often (which always increased her confusion). There were looming financial pressures as well. The time seemed to be right, unfortunately. Thankfully, she's adjusting fairly well and doesn't seem any more unhappy there than she was here, but it's been stressful for us because we have to make sure the aids and nurses understand her routine, her idiosyncrasies, and her medications. All for the privilege of paying $260 a day, plus various supplies, services, etc... :-( It's a pretty good facility, but it's nowhere as good as having her home.

I'm not optimistic that the Boomers will cause substantial improvements at nursing homes. Even if you try to be a good guardian, there's only so much you can do. Perhaps there will be pressure to have the government pay more for home care, which is often cheaper and better, but there's always the fact that few are going to want to have their taxes increased to help pay for it. Boomers's kids are going to have a lot to say about any changes - if you believe the hype about them, well... :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
     Nursing Home Hell - (Seamus) - (3)
         We're going to see more of this - (imqwerky) - (2)
             Yeah, when the "Me, Me, Me" boomers hith the market . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Dunno... - (Another Scott)

Huh? Doesn't even rhyme!
110 ms