IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That story jumps all over the place.
I really dislike newspaper stories like that, but it seems it's par for the course.

1) Was anything decided at the ATV meeting? Did Mullan's comments somehow sway any policy decisions, or was he merely giving voice to decisions that were already made? AFAICS, the story doesn't say.

2) The administration executes, or should execute, laws that Congress passes. How they do it is up to them (e.g. they can have different emphasis than their predecessors). We know that there was little effective oversight of the Administration over the past 6.5 years. But Congress funds agencies and sets the mandates. The administration then makes rules based on those laws. Ultimately, these issues will change when Congress changes them.

3) There's nothing new about policy arguments inside an agency, and there's nothing new about political appointees wanting to radically change an agency (e.g. James Watt under Reagan).

Congress can tell the CPSC to ban sales of ATVs to children; remember [link|http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,966434,00.html|3-wheelers were outlawed in 1988]. But there are always ways around that. Honda already recommends that only [link|http://powersports.honda.com/popups/popup_text.asp?Category=BE+A+RESPONSIBLE+RIDER&SubCategory=Sport+ATV&w=539&h=342&bhcp=1|highly experienced riders 16 and over] ride their more powerful 4-wheelers:

Safety

Be a responsible rider. Riding an ATV is an exercise in responsibility\ufffdto yourself, to others and to the environment. So remember, ATVs can be hazardous to operate. For your safety, wear a helmet, eye protection and protective clothing, and never ride on paved surfaces or public roads. Never carry passengers, and never engage in stunt riding. Avoid excessive speeds, and be particularly careful on difficult terrain. And keep in mind that riding doesn't mix with drugs or alcohol. The TRX450R, TRX400EX and TRX300EX are recommended only for highly experienced riders 16 years and older. The TRX250EX is recommended only for riders 16 years and older. The TRX90 is recommended only for riders 12 years of age and older, and riders younger than 16 years of age must be supervised by an adult. Honda recommends that all ATV riders take a training course and read their owner's manual thoroughly. New ATV purchasers should take advantage of free ASI training and completion incentives. For safety or training information, see your Honda Dealer or call the ASI at (800) 887-2887. Whenever you ride off-road, follow the "Tread Lightly" guidelines, and always stay on established trails in approved areas. Keep your riding areas clean and respect the rights of others. Never modify your silencer or spark arrestor. Always obtain written permission before riding on private lands, and obey all the laws and regulations governing your riding areas.

I assume it's similar with other manufacturers.

I think a bigger problem than kids riding ATVs they can't handle, or safety caps on hair relaxers, or jambing BB guns, is the gutting of the CPSC over time. But Congress hasn't prevented it. Why hasn't Public Citizen, or some other group, brought a lawsuit? Or have they? The story doesn't say.

In short, the NY Times story points out some problems, but it makes a cartoon of the issues. It doesn't present enough information to do much more than confirm the readers's suspicions, IMHO.

Why does the story only briefly mention, near the end of the long article, the fact that the CPSC was [link|http://www.ombwatch.org/article/blogs/entry/3720/22|unable to conduct regulatory business since January due to the lack of a quorum]?

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who hates safety caps on pill bottles. They should be available for households with small children, but the rest of the population shouldn't have to suffer with them.)
New The focus of the article is the changes
at the CPSC. The examples it uses to illustrate the changes become the story and make it seem rather disjointed. Politics have and will always play some role in the way this and other agencies are run. What rubs me the wrong way is that this administration just doesn't want to admit it is gutting this and other agencies. If it doesn't believe in regulation it should be open and honest about what it is doing, but it won't because it knows the American people won't agree with them. The American people may believe that government is too big, but they still want to be safe.

This does not mean that I believe that all safety rules and regulations are effective and needed.
Seamus
     Safety Agency Faces Scrutiny Amid Changes - (Seamus) - (31)
         I agree with Mr Stratton on the daisy issue - (boxley) - (23)
             Re: I agree with Mr Stratton on the daisy issue - (Seamus) - (22)
                 Curiously, I side with Bill. - (hnick)
                 my apologies, I read the exerpt not the link - (boxley) - (20)
                     Re: my apologies, I read the exerpt not the link - (Seamus) - (19)
                         you want to discuss the data or just support the puzzled - (boxley) - (18)
                             The agency lawyer who wasn't scheduled to talk - (Seamus)
                             Re: you want to discuss the data or just support the puzzled - (Seamus) - (16)
                                 so the next time your 10yo kid goes to mount an adult - (boxley) - (15)
                                     I tell him to get off also. Nor would I buy him one - (Seamus) - (14)
                                         Ah, never mind him, he's probably just posting drunk again. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                             maybe in the places where you live that one may not - (boxley) - (3)
                                                 Thank you for proving my point again. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                     it was what I was talking about, you were just displaying - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Re: it was what I was talking about, you were just displayin - (Seamus)
                                         you cannot legislate stupidity and shouldnt try -NT - (boxley) - (8)
                                             Re: you cannot legislate stupidity and shouldnt try - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                 difference being nanny et all - (boxley) - (3)
                                                     You have no idea what you are talking about - (Seamus) - (2)
                                                         so why dance around the head of a pin? - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             You are the one doing the dancing - (Seamus)
                                             Re: you cannot legislate stupidity and shouldnt try - (Seamus) - (2)
                                                 there you go, finally admitting it - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     I would, I doubt they would - (Seamus)
         Reply to your OT comment - (Lily) - (4)
             I have never actually been to the box bar - (Seamus) - (3)
                 Well, then you are missing a real treat - (Lily) - (2)
                     Be careful, Seamus! (new thread) - (imqwerky)
                     !! (new thread) - (Lily)
         That story jumps all over the place. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             The focus of the article is the changes - (Seamus)

I've found if I press just the right spot on the base of the laptop while it's running, eCS will crash.
94 ms