IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Anybody ever do a FULL OUTER ?
>> That's what you tell it with "LEFT" or "RIGHT" (or "FULL"). You *can't* specify outer/inner without telling it that, too -- ex- or implicitly -- so they are *not* orthogonal (=independent). <<

Okay, perhaps "orthogonal" is too strong a word in that they affect the final application of the other. However, the left/right is mostly about which direction to *apply* the other. IOW, They are still very different things.

>> Draw two overlapping circles (or better yet, make them elongated, ellipses) to represent your tables. Orient them horizontally, mark them A and B if .... <<

Time to get out the construction paper........tomarrow.

>>.... "LEFT INNER" query. But your only legal alternatives are "LEFT OUTER", "RIGHT OUTER", "FULL OUTER", and "INNER" -- so they aren't independent. <<

I always thot "LEFT INNER" simply ignored the LEFT (or RIGHT). However, I never tried it. Nor a FULL OUTER. Anybody here ever need that?

I betcha did on your honeymoon.

It is sort of like comparative operations (x > y). The order (left/right) *does* matter *in general*. However, equality (==) is a special case where it does *not* matter. "Inner" is in the same camp as equality comparisons as far as I am concerned. Thus, I conceptually consider INNER a "spacial case".
Collapse Edited by tablizer Feb. 21, 2002, 01:54:34 PM EST
Anybody ever do a FULL OUTER ?
>> That's what you tell it with "LEFT" or "RIGHT" (or "FULL"). You *can't* specify outer/inner without telling it that, too -- ex- or implicitly -- so they are *not* orthogonal (=independent). << Okay, perhaps "orthogonal" is too strong a word in that they affect the final application of the other. However, the left/right is mostly about which direction to *apply* the other. IOW, They are still very different things. >> Draw two overlapping circles (or better yet, make them elongated, ellipses) to represent your tables. Orient them horizontally, mark them A and B if .... << Time to get out the construction paper........tomarrow. >>.... "LEFT INNER" query. But your only legal alternatives are "LEFT OUTER", "RIGHT OUTER", "FULL OUTER", and "INNER" -- so they aren't independent. << I always thot "LEFT INNER" simply ignored the LEFT (or RIGHT). However, I never tried it. Nor a FULL OUTER. Anybody here ever need that? I betcha did on your honeymoon.
________________ oop.ismad.com
     Question on LEFT JOIN - (drewk) - (12)
         An unspecified joining query *is* a left join - (kmself) - (8)
             Hmm, I don't think so - (drewk) - (7)
                 No, "JOIN [tables] ON [condition]" is Standard SQL-92 AFAIK. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Left Join. - (static) - (5)
                     re: inner/outer left/right joins - (tablizer) - (4)
                         Nope, they're really more kind'a the same thing. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                             Anybody ever do a FULL OUTER ? - (tablizer)
                             I like that description. - (static) - (1)
                                 You're welcome! (Both of you... ;^) -NT - (CRConrad)
         been a long time but wouldnt a stripped seek be faster - (boxley) - (2)
             Gaah, just got the answer - (drewk) - (1)
                 Yup. The speed depends more on the dataset - (tseliot)

A few lettuce pieces short of a salad.
37 ms