IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Argument ad Definition
I think Old Ben had it right
[link|http://www.antiwar.c...alic/m050103.html|http://www.antiwar.c...alic/m050103.html]
> Misconceptions of the beguiled masses aside, Democracy clearly destroys freedom, and its fundamental disrespect of property rights is unquestionably opposite to prosperity. To quote what is attributed to Ben Franklin, "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." Put that way, it seems humorous \ufffd but it is also lethal, more so because most people still believe in it.
checks and balances, we needem back

Election of the president is one of the primary balances of the American system. But changes in technology (and to a certain extent politics and society) have badly broken the election system in the US. Moving towards direct election would be a step towards more balance, not less.

In many ways you could argue that much of the US's current problems are an example of a problem with Republics not Democracy in general. One of the basic problems facing us right now is that our elected representatives no longer do. Rather then representing our interests in government the process has been corrupted to the point where a Congress person is more interested in doing what big corporations and rich special interests want then what the people who elected them want.

On another level this gets into a huge argument ad definition. Most people (including historians and political science people) would consider Republics a form of Democracy.

Jay
New so urban New Yorkers, Californians, Chitown and the dead
folks Florida shall determine how the rest of the country shall behave.... WAIT!
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New It couldn't be any worse
It couldn't be any worse then rednecks, country folk, white trash and people that think the south will rise again.

Jay
New why there is a electoral college keeps the freaks even
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Um, it can always be worse. ;-)
You're not enough of a cynic if you think that it can't get worse!

:-)

For instance, one could imagine a time when the mid-west is under even greater stress due to a collapse in the [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogallala_Aquifer|Ogallala Aquifer] and associated water sources. If our national representatives are chosen purely based on population, there would be much less pressure for them to address such issues.

Of course, one could point at post-Katrina New Orleans and say that that future is already here, so what's the big deal... :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
     on that popular vote thing for pres - (boxley) - (6)
         Philip Atkinson agrees. - (Another Scott)
         Argument ad Definition - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
             so urban New Yorkers, Californians, Chitown and the dead - (boxley) - (3)
                 It couldn't be any worse - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
                     why there is a electoral college keeps the freaks even -NT - (boxley)
                     Um, it can always be worse. ;-) - (Another Scott)

The tautological prime conjecture states that the tautological prime conjecture is true.
96 ms