IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Gack
Just what I need!

Saturday I took my wife shopping. Afterwards, I took off to go to my old house (6 months on the market and no offers :-( ) to do some more housekeeping. On the way I noticed that it seemed warm in the car. A/C went out.

Now I can live without A/C. But it was the compressor that died. On a Chrysler Cirrus, the compressor is run on the serpentine belt. This morning, the compressor completely seized up, in the driveway. With the compressor seized, the belt won't turn, no car. And I live 65 miles from work. At least the breakdown was at home. Drove my truck to work, will pick up a tow dolly tonight, drop off the car tomorrow at the shop. Car will be ready tomorrow night. Cost between $700 - $1200, depending if I take it to the local mechanic or the dealer.

Oh well, its only money. And with two mortgage payments, wife's medical expenses, what's money?

Anybody want to buy a house? :-)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New Yuck! :(
Too bad about the single point of failure belt!

Any chance you can bypass the compressor and use a shorter belt? Even if you have to pull off the pulley on the compressor. It could postpone the agony.

I had a similar instance on a Volvo many years ago. The compressor seized on route on an Interstate. The belt started smoking! I forget what else was driven by the belt, but it wasn't critical. I just cut off the belt and proceeded. As I recall, the A/C was under warranty.
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
New Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth
All have versions of that car. All had A/C. Therefore no shorter belt is available. Unless I wanted to try the hit or miss with belts.

Towed it in last night. Should have it back today. We'll see what additional charges are added. However, this mechanic has done good work for me in the past and at a reasonable rate.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New :-( Hang in there.
New hope it doesnt hurt too bad :-(
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
     Gack - (jbrabeck) - (4)
         Yuck! :( - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth - (jbrabeck)
         :-( Hang in there. -NT - (Another Scott)
         hope it doesnt hurt too bad :-( -NT - (boxley)

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!
54 ms