IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New As to Astrologers, Homeo - swan song, for here
(This drill has occurred before, and I'm just not going to go back and cut/paste. If I contradict myself.. very well, I too contain legions.) I'll try to provide the more significant l experiences that form my attitude re non-standard approaches; I don't care if these are compelling - it's possible that my intelligence is wanting. Hell, maybe curl grad V !=0 either. I never derived it.

First: nobody despises a charlatan more than I - it is so easy to fool the credulous that, you know you are dealing with someone who could not even get into remedial Business class. You are dealing with an opportunist - and one with 0 empathy for the (possibly ruinous) results of cynical manipulation. (I have a similar aversion to orthodoxies which the holder has never thought to test = including myself, when I lazily go along. 'Best burn treatments' this year, anyone?)

Astrology:
An Indian personage of great moment, alive today
(peddles no 'religion', has many Murican 'students' + from most other countries, in the 100s of Ks who actually make it there, last I checked)
observed when asked, "is there anything to astrology?"

"Astrology good science. [Today] no good Astrologers."
(He can be quite more terse than a Perl script - though usually suiting his answers to the being?/style of the questioner, in several languages. This one was apparently seeking a definitive, brief summary, not a dissertation with ~how/whys.)

I too once maintained the Good Scientist mandated POV re 'astrology'; (it is a catechism amongst all who ever received only a technical education and faked the humanities - with extreme prejudice.) That is I did, until -

A) I encountered One of these "rare Good" Ones, all accidentally, peripheral to reasons of our acquaintance. Specifically, one Bennett T. - mentioned before in these pages (since the style of dealing with these pointless Black/White Right/Wrong dualities Is the bon ton of daily gossip everywhere.) He with degrees in math plus an LLd (I suppose) because he passed the Bar in Illinois. Then found he could not bear to 'do law', had other interests, and apparently Talents as well.

B) I considered.. then agreed-with-self that it is perfectly permissible to dismiss the rubric by which mental connections are made, by those who demonstrate an aptitude for getting to the roots of problems presented to them. ie Performance counts most (just as, a person may employ logic correctly, never having heard of - or at least needed to formally create - 'a truth table'.)

It appears that very many human 'personality' traits can be mapped-to the (only seemingly irrelevant) model of the universe -- a model which thus, all-unfathomably, seeks to correlate some birth-time/location with: this cornucopia of human jelloware, so 'very-differently wired' within any individual person.

(Andrew: When you mention the uselessness of the 'by-rote' interpretations, I believe I can say that Bennett would agree, exactly. Certainly can say re. any prediction nonsense = see below.) He expired way too-early, via too-late treated diabetes.. well before that became one of the US's most popular escalating maladies. His widow filled in lots more material about his unusual life.. He had never mentioned to me his math degree! Causing me to blush retroactively re unnecessarily dumbed-down answers about "electronics". {sigh}

Similarly the Tarot, other potentially-silly means that may assist a clever mind to deal with abstractions, to some named purpose (whether or not I might be able to connect their method with its results - from my different and limited experience.) These are all about the creation of a mental state which permits some form of empathy? with the person at-hand. That it is an invitation to charlatanism? Tell me about Murican bizness. People will Sell anything saleable, especially those with a stunted, say being.

That is, One More Time:
IMO the artifices are no more important than.. whether an artisan drills a hole with a hand-drill or an electric one: is the hole drilled properly / precise enough for intended use?

Shrinks (who are not Scientists, either) attempt to do the very same thing that a 'Good' Astrologer attempts -- or the Oracle at Delphi? And as all know (who have ever dealt direct or been close to those who have done so) -- the ability to deliver Useful insights to people in Language they can Work With -- is by no means guaranteed by the therapist's acquisition of an academic degree. (I know some bi-polar folk - look up the plethora of 'theories + pharm-chem' for That. Changes weekly.)

It's different in Real Science of course. One could ~paraphrase AE at this point, "to the extent that a study concerns human activities, its chances of achieving success via only rote application of scientific axia -- diminishes." I think you cannot do the best medicine without successful human interaction - and it is That which is spoken-about most!- when people offer p\ufffdns to recently deceased 'great doctors'. The other mechanical skills are taken for granted (alas, even when those were somewhat deficient.)

As to 'defending' (or even trying to decribe the Methods of) a so-called "good Astrologer" - especially to the person who requires a neatly-progressive logical syllogism, before imagining that some concept could possibly possess validity re human experience:
I say the necessarily redundant Hah! Go read Hamlet's quip to Horatio; dismiss at some risk to old-age credibility, when you look back at other youthful Certainties picked up by osmosis.

Logic presents a comforting illusion of Certainty (since it works so well in equations.) But even allopathic medicine relies upon insight, discernment, interpretation of oft conflicting syndromes, etc. Except-almost re trauma! (yet even there, the degree of injury affects nice-decisions on whether or not the anaesthesia will become a tipping point For That Person? if there's previous direct experience / whether the burn area will overwhelm? and similar.)

If I could describe How Bennett achieved his insights (attested by many subsequent joint acquaintances, not merely my own amazement) - why then, I could write a manual to crank out ez-clones, now couldn't I? Next: DaVinci. I could say some things about his interactions, but too lengthy. Conclusion: few shrinks attain the 'success rate' he achieved. He made no 'predictions' [that was on his card!] - he only treated personal 'problems', knew the jargon of astrology -- mentioning aspects of that reluctantly, only when queried. No touchy-feely there to snicker at.

Homeopathy:
I've read about Hahnemann, and I can do Avogadro's Number and ratios, with anyone.
On the one hand, he begins with more credibility (to me) than any physician of his day, as he was trained as a physicist; I consider that the history of allopathic medicine is filled with an excess of arrogant mediocre minds, ego-driven and most-often poorly trained in the basic disciplines of science. Today students are trained, as then, by-rote and at absurd rates of force-fed Factoids. There is little room in the PDR (Physicians Desk Ref.) for original discovery - especially given legal responses to bad effects of deviation. There is, simply No Time available in this manic course - for contemplation, experiment - rebuttal to 'current practices' (even after degree acquisition.) People who memorize very well are best candidates for 'passing' - I aver that this is Not a characteristic of the Original mind. (Bethe and other physicists could, however - do elaborate calculations in-head/no-paper - clearly having created Registers! wherein partial-results simply Must have been stored. Go figure - but, You Can't.)

As to Hahnemann and Avogadro; see [link|http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A954740| this] randomly found link which discusses some of his inspirations (Paracelsus), mentors and: here opines -
While Hahnemann had probably never heard of Avogadro's number (which was only determined half a century after Hahnemann published Organon der Rationellen Heilkunde in 1810) he surely must have realised that his dilutions were stretching even the limits of utter impossibility. However, Hahnemann had his own explanation for the skeptic using his potentization-dynamization theory. The vigorous shaking or pulverizing of a substance in between dilutions, he claimed, caused the substance to leave behind a 'spirit-like' essence which, although 'no longer perceptible to the senses', was nevertheless 'remembered' by the water, and thus retained healing properties.
I remain skeptical, as. I. stated. Clearly early-on. I also have observed the cats (also mentioned early-on) - with "terminal HIV" - now ~ 13+ years after their scheduled demise. (One of the three did die a few years back. A really Neat cat named Hamlet. He would wait patiently at feet.. for 'permission' to jump into your lap. Yeah: awww. RIP, Hamlet.)

Whether the 'remedies' have accounted for their survival or (perhaps?) the fact that they are fed healthier food than most Muricans eat, is a larger factor -- who knows. One thing is certain: a 'placebo effect' in CATS? I remain skeptical, yes - but I do not confuse that with certainty of the negative. All 'cures' are 'anecdotal' - it is only in stat. signif. Numbers that they become comparable. The AMA is a Trade Union and has its reasons for applying the quack-word to any experimentalist. Similarly: AMA deems a 'cure' = s/he lived another 5 years (possibly in daily agony relieved only by pharm-chem.) Others define 'cure' as: restoration to 'robust Health'. Take your pick about 'meanings'.

Finally, as to means of imagining how some of these odd approaches might.. have any conceivable validity [and perhaps - only for certain genetic configurations ?? who knows] I would remind those who imagine that modern allopathy is done "scientifically", to recognize the almost-trivial accumuated 'K'nowledge thus far, of human physiology, particularly the shallow comprehension of the operations of the crucial immune system -- apparent source of all genuine 'Cures' to maladies.

Then too, "the treatment of symptoms" == precisely what allo. Means: is not tantamount to 'cure'.
Nor is the brain/body (let alone the much more complex idea of mind/body) relationship beyond its infancy in comprehension. There has never been more brilliant trauma care than today; saw off a limb playing Mr. Fixit and odds are - it can be glued back. No nostrum is going to attach a limb: D'UH.

But the 'disease' model for symptom treatment -- remains an arguable and most-certainly not final approach to the idea of maintaining actual Health in bipeds. I have many more reservations about '00 medicine which derive from my experience, professionally - including re heavy-ion beam irradiation. (Among this group of MDS) their science was poor, as was their comprehension of the Whys /Hows of this extremely controllable means of applying radiation, only to an exact volume with mm precision. I saw them as technicians, still thinking rote thoughts, utterly uncomfortable with new Possibilities. Pathetic, really..

YMMV. I have no aim to mess with anyone's faith in the way they handle body/mind problems.
I've seen enough of the exceptional, watched enough hospital procedures etc. to operate under different presumptions than do most people. The fact that silly people have always flocked to the possibly-New, completely discrimination-free: says Nothing about the next discoveries, for which there is Much room, I aver.

Many of these seek alternatives because they are intelligent - have observed Too-closely: some trauma involving a family member, done research - and decided they have no choice but to investigate other possibilities. Others just - like to join flocks? I've spoken with a few of the 'cured' and seen the tests; one's prognosis was that of the cats: "x Months." Have also sat with an SO while dying-early - for an unnecessary 'exploratory' operation which promoted metastasis (done in a 'Model' local hospital.) And argued for more pain meds. Successfully - nurses are eversomuch more sensible than rote-MDs, typically.

Reiterate - I Don't Care how anyone else chooses to handle their medical matters - but spare me the sophomoric / patronizing lessons on 'gullibility' and "how obvious it is that modern medicine is perfected" in its knowledge of the workings of our meta-machines. We are a few steps from the caves, in so much that passes for '00 'civilization'. That's my story and I'm sticking with it until I see - something Different happen.

Ashton

New On Avagadro and estimated mortality.
Thanks for your comments.

While Hahnemann had probably never heard of Avogadro's number (which was only determined half a century after Hahnemann published Organon der Rationellen Heilkunde in 1810) he surely must have realised that his dilutions were stretching even the limits of utter impossibility. However, Hahnemann had his own explanation for the skeptic using his potentization-dynamization theory. The vigorous shaking or pulverizing of a substance in between dilutions, he claimed, caused the substance to leave behind a 'spirit-like' essence which, although 'no longer perceptible to the senses', was nevertheless 'remembered' by the water, and thus retained healing properties.

A problem with that explanation, of course, is that such essences would remain from things that weren't in the original preparation. If it works for the 11 herbs and spices prepared by the practicioner, why doesn't it work for the trilobite spit or the coelacanth piss? And if it does work for those other things, then how can one do science on it?

It seems much more likely to me that homeopathy "works" when it does due to placebo effects and due to body finding a way to fight attackers on its own.

There are many deadly diseases, like [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola|ebola]. As deadly the Za\ufffdre ebolavirus variant is, 10% of people who get it survive. Estimates of survivability are always estimates. As you say, too many physicians memorize numbers and put much more faith in that than actual observation and thinking about the patient.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Well, the water's supposed to be purified first . . .
. . and free of coelacanth piss - but the operational factor may well be intent.

Of course intent is a factor entirely outside the realm of current science, so while it may not be outside the realm of future science, many will now deny it is possible at all.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New But you can't purify out coelacanth piss essence... ;-)
There may well be things that we can't detect now that may be detectable in the future. And those things may be important in treating disease. But at the moment, the explanations sound too much like jibber-jabber.

After all, our picture of the body is that it responds to stimuli and that physical things are incorporated and excreted. Chemistry and electromagnetism are the foundation. If something isn't detectable, then how can the body respond to it? If someone wants to come up with a new picture of how the body works, it needs to take what we know and build upon it - not expect us to rely on explanations without evidence.

Cheers,
Scott.
New folks dont really understand how drugs work
opiates crank a chemical reaction in the brain
if a substance is given that reliably cranks the same chemical connection as opiates then it is useful
note I said reliably. if it works for you whether chicken blood or Dr Scott or National Health Service clinic it has value.
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New The fundamental problem
There is a fundamental problem that astrology, homeopathy, creationism and any number of possible beliefs, treatments and way of understanding the universe have never overcome. And that is they don't work.

As soon as you pull them out of their own anecdotal and subjective environment and put them in a rigorous test they don't produce result better then chance.

Homeopathy has been put through double bind tests many times, and has produced results that are well within range expected by chance. And that range is very important here. Homeopathy is among the group of methods that has been tested so many times that it is expected to pass some of the tests by luck. That is why science puts so many demands on repeated tests by independent groups.

None of creationisms predictions about the structure of the world or the evolution of terrain features or variations in atomic decay over time hold up. Intelligent design solves this problem by avoiding making any predictions at all, spending all of it's time attacking evolution and pushing itself as the only possible alternative.

In the face of actually working everything else is secondary. Doctors would be perfectly willing, if not happy, to use method that work but for which nobody understands why they work. There are currently any number of drugs for which the method of operation is only partially or not at all understood. Doctors don't like this because it makes it very hard to gauge how much medication a person needs or what side effects to watch out for or how it will interact with other drugs. But if it works it will be used.

That doesn't mean they might not work under some situations for some individuals. Particularly in something as subjective as astrology, it is very likely some will be successful. However, it isn't because of astrology, rather it is their innate intelligence and intuition working behind the scenes.

Nor should that be taken as belief that medicine or science is perfect. The medical field has many flaws that stem from it's practices that treat mental and physical health as being independent entities, even though it is well documented that they are heavily intertwined. While science in general is dealing with problems stemming from the flood of corporate money that has more to do with advertising then real research and outright falsification stemming from excess competition to be the first to reach certain goals.

Jay
New oh sage, does hypnotherapy work ?
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

New I really don't know
Hypnosis is not something I have ever investigated. From what I have seen, it falls into the marginal area. By it's nature it is very hard to test, it is grounded in personal interaction in a way that makes blind testing nearly impossible nor is there any way of directly measuring it's effects on the mind.

There is a consistent enough effect that there has to be something there. But without any complete theory of what it does or how it works or any way of directly measuring it's effects it is relegated to the borderlands of science.

Jay
New have a link or 3, be surprised
[link|http://www.institute-shot.com/hypnosis_pain_utility.htm|http://www.institute..._pain_utility.htm]
[link|http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/inside.asp?AID=888&UID|http://www.mayoclini...e.asp?AID=888&UID]
[link|http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10781270&dopt=AbstractPlus|http://www.ncbi.nlm....dopt=AbstractPlus]
thanx,
bill

As to Astrologers, Homeo - swan song, for here - (Ashton) - (8)
         On Avagadro and estimated mortality. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Well, the water's supposed to be purified first . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 But you can't purify out coelacanth piss essence... ;-) - (Another Scott)
         folks dont really understand how drugs work - (boxley)
         The fundamental problem - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
             oh sage, does hypnotherapy work ? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                 I really don't know - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                     have a link or 3, be surprised - (boxley)

We're gonna make this night... last fo-evah!
55 ms