IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No DirectX10 hardware will support DirectX10.1
[link|http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=41577|Inquirer]
Microserfs were there to espouse the greatness of DirectX 10.1, the next revision to the DX graphics spec, which is due to arrive with Windows Vista SP1.

Here's the thing. DX10 hardware - such as the GeForce 8800 or the Radeon 2900 - won't work with the new 10.1 features. The 0.1 revision requires completely new hardware for support, thus royally cheesing off many gamers who paid top whack for their new hardware over the last few months on the basis of future game compatibility.

If this turns out to be true and there is any significance to DirectX 10.1 there are going to be some upset people. I know a couple, including myself, that just moved up to DirectX 10. If DirectX 10.1 turns out to have a significant advantage and I have to buy another video card next year I'm going to be rather irked.

Jay
New And this surprises... ANYONE?
Microsoft has a bad habit and very long history of doing this.

And, what is that going to do to the way it runs things? NOTHING.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0  2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
Alternate Fingerprint: 09F9 1102 9D74  E35B D841 56C5 6356 88C0
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2
New It is sad that I can't tell if it's BS or not
I would normally say this is bullshit as requiring a different set of hardware is a major revision, making it DX 11.0, and a professional software house like Microsoft would know this. Even if non-techs run a software house, the engineers still stick to engineering conventions, such as the version numbering scheme. However, Microsoft violate all manner of standards.

Neither can I say Microsoft wouldn't screw over the graphic card market for their own ends and let the game publishers and players suffer. They did it for Direct3D.

It is sad that I can't tell if this atrocity is bullshit or not.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New Re: No DirectX10 hardware will support DirectX10.1
DirectX 10.1 adds 5 functions, 3 of which are used to access the other 2. Each of those expose a new feature not available on current hardware.

In addition, DX10.1 requires a few features be available on compliant hardware that were optional in DX10.

DX10 and DX10.1 (and presumably 10.2 etc) exist side by side. It's up the the game developer to chose which one (or both) to target. They will likely target both until there is significant market penetration of DX10.1 compliant cards. Are there even a significant number of DX10 only games yet?
--
Chris Altmann
     No DirectX10 hardware will support DirectX10.1 - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
         And this surprises... ANYONE? - (folkert)
         It is sad that I can't tell if it's BS or not - (warmachine)
         Re: No DirectX10 hardware will support DirectX10.1 - (altmann)

That'll be $8.50, Mac.
35 ms