IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Political breakdown of 2007 candidates
[link|http://politicalcompass.org/usprimaries2007|Politcal Compass US Primary 2007]
Interesting breakdown of the positions of the candidates on the political compass scale.

All of the candidates except Kucinich and Gravel come out as being right wing / authoritarian.

I think this reflects several things beyond the actual political positions of the candiates. First, the political compass is staged against a global perspective and the compared to that, the US is shifted towards the top right. Second, the center of their chart is the middle politically, but that probably doesn't match the middle in peoples actual position. And third, the nature of campaigns in the US probably causes people to publicly take a position somewhat north-east of their actual beliefs.

Jay
New Why I don't like any of them
me = x1, y-4
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Im slipping! AIEE!
Economic Left/Right: -1.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Get back on the right side of the line!
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New I want a "No opinion" to some of those questions
\t
Economic Left/Right: -1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03
New Me too.
Economic Left/Right: -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

I'd have a hard time with the current crop of presidential candidates. (I wonder where the Australian politicians map on that?)

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

New As Ashton often says, there's only one wing.
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
New Me.
Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.13

I can't find my previous scores just yet.

[edit:] My previous scores are [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=211267|here]. I've moved left a tiny little bit, I guess.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott July 19, 2007, 08:39:40 PM EDT
New I've become more Libertarian since early 2003.
I've grown as a Libertarian... This DHS and Patriot Act crap is really bugging me lately.

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.15

compared to: [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=72029|Post #72029]

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -2.36

Just don't call me a Democrat, mainly because I am not one. Looks like Ghandi and Nelson Mandella are right around my scores.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0  2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
Alternate Fingerprint: 09F9 1102 9D74  E35B D841 56C5 6356 88C0
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2
New Could I go farther left?
Well, no.
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.51

According to this, Ghandi is too right wing for me.
-----------------------------------------
Atheism is a religion in the same sense that not collecting stamps is a hobby.
New Smack dab in the center - of the Libertarian Left
Not far from where I was last time - maybe a touch more radical.
-5.25 Left -5.49 Liberal.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Won't give me a result. I must be way off the chart. :-)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New A Rudy/Romney diversion - with sarcasm
[link|http://www.salon.com/opinion/conason/2007/07/20/rudy_and_romney/index.html?source=newsletter| Salon]
Rudy and Romney: Artful dodgers

When the most belligerent Republicans start to beat the war drums, it's important to look at what they're trying to hide.

By Joe Conason

July 20, 2007 | Nothing unites the Republican candidates for president or excites the conservative base more than their bellicose barking about war and confrontation. The GOP presidential debates often sound like a tough-man competition, with Rudolph Giuliani denouncing the "cut-and-run" Democrats, Mitt Romney demanding a double-size Guant\ufffdnamo detention camp, and the rest of the pack struggling to keep pace with the snarling alpha dogs.

Yet while their rhetoric is invariably loud and aggressive, none of these martial orators has seen a day of military service -- except for John McCain, whose prospects are rapidly deflating, and Duncan Hunter, whose campaign never got enough air for a single balloon. Unfortunately for those two decorated veterans, their party seems to prefer its hawks to be of the chicken variety.

None of this may matter much. Most of the Democratic candidates lack military experience, too. But when the most belligerent Republicans start to beat the war drums, it's important to look at what they're trying to hide.

Consider Giuliani, the former New York mayor who has remained among the most vocal supporters of the invasion and occupation of Iraq. He never hesitates to suggest that politicians with differing opinions simply lack guts. When he spoke at the 2004 Republican convention, he gleefully insinuated that Democratic nominee John Kerry lacked the fortitude to combat terrorism. Now he denigrates the supposedly spineless Democrats running for president in 2008.

But he has always confined his enthusiasm for war to podium speeches and position papers. Born in 1944, young Rudy was highly eligible for military service when he reached his 20s during the Vietnam War. He did not volunteer for combat -- as Kerry did -- and instead found a highly creative way to dodge the draft.

During his years as an undergraduate at Manhattan College and then at New York University Law School, Giuliani qualified for a student deferment. Upon graduation from law school in 1968, he lost that temporary deferment and his draft status reverted to 1-A, the designation awarded to those most qualified for induction into the Army.

At the same time, Giuliani [link|http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/giu0int-2| won a clerkship] with federal Judge Lloyd McMahon in the fabled Southern District of New York, where he would become the United States attorney. He naturally had no desire to trade his ticket on the legal profession's fast track for latrine duty in the jungle. So he quickly applied for another deferment based on his judicial clerkship. This time the Selective Service System denied his claim.

That was when the desperate Giuliani prevailed upon his boss to write to the draft board, asking them to grant him a fresh deferment and reclassification as an "essential" civilian employee. As the great tabloid columnist Jimmy Breslin noted 20 years later, during the former prosecutor's first campaign for mayor: "Giuliani did not attend the war in Vietnam because federal Judge Lloyd MacMahon [sic] wrote a letter to the draft board in 1969 and got him out. Giuliani was a law clerk for MacMahon, who at the time was hearing Selective Service cases. MacMahon's letter to Giuliani's draft board stated that Giuliani was so necessary as a law clerk that he could not be allowed to get shot at in Vietnam."

[More . . .]
Deferments?
cf. The Green Table

It takes a reliably docile, disinterested flock Never to Notice the sending of Others to fulfill the half-vast notions of the loudest mouths; never to ponder the What If It Fails?
Boy have we got a Flock for You!

Political breakdown of 2007 candidates - (JayMehaffey) - (12)
         Why I don't like any of them - (bepatient) - (4)
             Im slipping! AIEE! - (boxley) - (1)
                 Get back on the right side of the line! -NT - (bepatient)
             I want a "No opinion" to some of those questions - (crazy) - (1)
                 Me too. - (static)
         As Ashton often says, there's only one wing. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Me. - (Another Scott)
         I've become more Libertarian since early 2003. - (folkert)
         Could I go farther left? - (Silverlock)
         Smack dab in the center - of the Libertarian Left - (Andrew Grygus)
         Won't give me a result. I must be way off the chart. :-) -NT - (jbrabeck)
         A Rudy/Romney diversion - with sarcasm - (Ashton)

Can you stand the excitement?
119 ms