IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I didn't understand the reasoning...
I heard a brief discussion of it on the NewsHour rebroadcast on our local NPR station. The argument presented was, supposedly, probation only is applicable after a prison sentence is served. Yet people get probation without serving time all the time.

Perhaps there's some details that get glossed over in reporting (e.g. the prison sentence is suspended pending successful completion of probation) though.

The people I heard talking about it said, IIRC, that the judge was going to hear arguments about it, but they didn't think that Scooter would get out of probation (short of a presidential pardon, of course).

FWIW.

[...]

I guess the technical term is "supervised release" and [link|http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/politics/20070703-1423-cialeak-confusion.html|Judge Walton raised the issue]. He's supposed to hear arguments on Monday.

It would be delicious if Bush messed this up too (by not consulting anyone in the Justice Department and elsewhere about the proper way to do it), wouldn't it?

Cheers,
Scott.
New On that News Hour segment, which I watched,...
the lady that had worked in the DoJ department dealing with pardons in past mentioned that there is a large number of pardon applications in the queue. Some people have served 10 years in prison and have met the typical requirements for consideration. W has pardoned fewer than any president in the past 100 years. Scooter, of course, bypassed DoJ review.
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New If you've got a nickname from W, you're golden. :-/
New .mp3 link to the segment on the NewsHour.
[link|http://www-tc.pbs.org/newshour/rss/media/2007/07/03/20070703_libby28.mp3|20070703_libby28.mp3]. It's ~ 10 minutes or so.

I thought the ex-DOJ lawyer made a much stronger case than the guy who was impressed by the 150 letters that Scooter got in support. :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
     Shrub commutes Scooter sentence - (Ashton) - (25)
         Isn't it comme-il-faut - SOP - for this forum to include... - (CRConrad) - (2)
             Here you go. - (Yendor)
             Oui, mein Herr - en passant on PBS. I also noted that, - (Ashton)
         nice hair splitting exercise - (boxley)
         The act of a compassionate conservative who has the power. - (a6l6e6x) - (8)
             'An administration corrupt to the core' - (Ashton)
             Execution is a bit much. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                 Well, you're right, of course. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     "Taking one for the team" - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Imagine the punishment, though - - (Ashton)
                 Plame/Wilson lawsuit dismissed. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     That's a diappointment. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         Their lawyers "anticipate filing an appeal" - (Another Scott)
         Notice the very odd timing - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             The timing was understandable to me. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 He can always get "anonymous" donations of money later. -NT - (CRConrad)
         This just in (NPR) - (Ashton) - (5)
             I didn't understand the reasoning... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 On that News Hour segment, which I watched,... - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     If you've got a nickname from W, you're golden. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott)
                     .mp3 link to the segment on the NewsHour. - (Another Scott)
             Best thing that could happen for Bush . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Bush may have opened can of worms with rational - (JayMehaffey)
         Mark Morford captures July 4, ought-Seven to a - (Ashton) - (1)
             Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)

I'd probably enjoy it, actually.
105 ms