Microsoft Word without a mouse. (Well anything Microsoft, really)

There would be a close approximation. Except Word would be less powerful and flexible.

What about data entry types that have every screen they type to memorized. I've seen them (in the days of serial terms) 10 screens ahead with input.

If you could realistically use Word without using a mouse, I'd imagine people would get far more done in a day. Though yes, the hand would cramp having to do a mind-meld grip to do some formatting options.

Ashton think about Wordperfect BEFORE the GUI came to be realistic. Legal secretaries knew it inside and out... not because it was easy to understand the key bindings... but because they were consistent enough to be able to be trained exceptionally well.

EMACS is very much the same kind of creature. Consistent, easily trainable (though I still don't use it) and very extensible. Extensible as much or as little as you want. Unlike Word.

You need to stop assuming there is a deviant plot to ANYTHING tech we here use. I use Linux, because I have the ability to make it my own and understand it. I could force you to use it and train you as well, rather than WindowsLITE or MAC*R*US, thereby causing you to stop assuming things.

Of course all assumptions are not what they appear to be, now, are they?