IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Shrub commutes Scooter sentence
- omitting outright Pardon, so he does probation, pays a couple bucks.

Can you Do That ???

Amazing how the prodigal has grown in office -- the Compassionate Conservative emerging at last.. over such an excessive punishment.
(and after All Those heaped dead Bodies of the executed Texans who never got a reprieve from such a Compassionate Governor.)

NOTE: hit Edit 'stead o' Reply==idgit - hence 2 Edits to get back to square Uno.

Expand Edited by Ashton July 3, 2007, 07:27:15 PM EDT
Expand Edited by Ashton July 3, 2007, 07:31:03 PM EDT
New Isn't it comme-il-faut - SOP - for this forum to include...
...links to the nooze item under discussion?

[Edit: Never mind. Thanks, Mike! =]

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
Expand Edited by CRConrad July 2, 2007, 06:11:11 PM EDT
Expand Edited by CRConrad July 2, 2007, 06:13:28 PM EDT
New Here you go.
[link|http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/02/libby.sentence/index.html|http://www.cnn.com/2...ntence/index.html]
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Oui, mein Herr - en passant on PBS. I also noted that,
this bucolic hayseed cannot even pronounce Vlad-\ufffd-me'er, in the person's presence - choosing instead, some sloppily Tex-drawled.. vladamurr.

(If the stupid motherfucker ever actually encountered some Brit named Cholmondeley ... chuckles city. Asshole hasn't yet realized that People really do like to hear their Names uttered correctly - because he's 97% unconscious of all others, at all times.)

New nice hair splitting exercise
no outright pardon but no jail time. A solomon like decision, wonder who came up with it? Rove I imagine.
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New The act of a compassionate conservative who has the power.
The fine is nothing but a reimbursable expense. The felony label is but a badge of honor in defending the shogun's administration.

[image|/forums/images/warning.png|0|This is sarcasm...]

The bastard should be executed for treason by CIA agents.
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New 'An administration corrupt to the core'
- a comment phoned in on NPR.

Execution might be a bit too Cheneyesqe an automatic twitch; let's be reasonable here:

A little waterboarding, say?
8 minutes. Or longer, if what's fessed up isn't really Interesting.

Now if only the Unitary Presyudent could Pardon-self from that silly business of, say - some ol disenfranchised 'congress' mumbling about 'impeachment' -- and other obsolescent ideas, left over from a PWPR (Pre-Wartime-President 's Reign.)

New Execution is a bit much.
Even for someone called "Scooter". :-)

There's no remotely plausible reason for Scooter to release her name and occupation without being directed to do so by Cheney. There's a fundamental unfairness of an underling being professionally destroyed while at the same time the immediate boss who ordered the action suffers no consequences. Of course Scooter was guilty and I think he should have served the sentence that Fitzgerald recommended (30-37 months). But Cheney should be kicked out of office for his abuse(s) of power. Stringing only Scooter up won't serve as a deterrent.

Bush should have stayed out of it, but he's too much of a prisoner of his "base" (and I'm sure Cheney put in a good word for the action...). Of course, Scooter didn't meet any of the [link|http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-12-29-bush-pardons_x.htm|conditions Bush previously outlined for getting a pardon] (in December 2005):

Erin Healy, a White House spokeswoman, says everyone pardoned by Bush has "demonstrated full acceptance of responsibility and remorse for their offense and ... they've repaid their debt to society by either becoming an active citizen or by making a positive contribution to their community."

Even after his fine and probation, Scooter won't be out of the woods. It's hard to believe that the Wilson's [link|http://www.wilsonsupport.org/|lawsuit] won't go forward. (A decision on that is expected by the end of the summer according to the link.)

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Well, you're right, of course.
Scooter is taking one for the team. But, if it turns out that some of Valerie's contacts in Niger get executed by al Qaeda, my proposal is back on. :)
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New "Taking one for the team"
I think an underling that "takes one for the team" should get the cumulative hypothetical sentences sentences the entire team would have had without his actions. We'd have a lot less people "taking one for the team".
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Imagine the punishment, though -
for someone proven to have been near Hitler, with a killing device handy - which s/he didn't use...

Omission! is as deadly an action as any other.
(No wonder those huge Morality Books always teach the gullible pure mindless drivel.)

New Plame/Wilson lawsuit dismissed.
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/19/AR2007071901395.html?nav=hcmodule|Washington Post]:

Thursday, July 19, 2007; 3:30 PM

A federal judge today dismissed a lawsuit filed by former CIA officer Valerie Plame and her husband against Vice President Cheney and top administration officials over the disclosure of Plame's name and covert status to the media.

U.S. District Judge John D. Bates said that Cheney and White House aides cannot be held liable for the disclosure of information about Plame in the summer of 2003 while they were trying to rebut criticism of the administration's war efforts levied by her husband, former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV. The judge said such efforts were certainly part of the officials' scope of normal duties.

"The alleged tortious conduct, namely the disclosure of Mrs. Wilson's status as a covert operative, was incidental to the kind of conduct that defendants were employed to perform," Bates wrote in an opinion released this afternoon.

Bates also ruled that the court lacked the power to award damages for public disclosure of private information about Plame. The judge said that was because Plame and Wilson had failed to exhaust other remedies in seeking compensation from appropriate federal agencies for the alleged privacy violations.

[...]

Independent of the merits, and I think there are clearly some there, I'm not terribly surprised that a Federal Judge didn't want to get involved in a case like this. They generally shy away from suits against the Executive Branch.

Cheers,
Scott.
New That's a diappointment.
No mention of an appeal in the article.
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
New Their lawyers "anticipate filing an appeal"
[link|http://www.wilsonsupport.org/|WilsonSupport.org]:

Washington, DC -- Earlier today, District of Columbia District Court Judge John D. Bates dismissed Joe and Valerie Wilsons' civil suit against Vice President Dick Cheney, presidential aide Karl Rove, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby and Richard Armitage. While Judge Bates recognized that the Wilsons' claims "pose important questions relating to the propriety of actions undertaken by our highest government officials," he dismissed their suit on a threshold legal issue: that there is no constitutional remedy available to them.

While the Wilsons' lawyers are reviewing the decision, they anticipate filing an appeal. Melanie Sloan, executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington ("CREW"), one of the Wilsons' lawyers, said today, "While we are obviously very disappointed by today\ufffds decision, we have always expected that this case would ultimately be decided by a higher court." Sloan continued, "We disagree with the court's holding and intend to pursue this case vigorously to protect all Americans from vindictive government officials who abuse their power for their own political ends."

Cheers,
Scott.
New Notice the very odd timing
What strikes me about this is the very odd timing. Libby has not yet finished his appeals of the case, but he has run out his options for staying out of prison.

It seems to me that the only reason Bush (or Rove or Cheney, hard to say which one in this case) would have for this action now is that they where afraid that Libby might talk if he landed behind bars.

Jay
New The timing was understandable to me.
Libby's peanut gallery would have been furious if he had been locked up for a day, so Bush had to act quickly. If Libby were going to squeal, he would have done so at sentencing at the latest. He won't say a word based on conditions as they are now. Of course, if he's found liable for $20M in a civil suit, well that might change his thinking, but I really doubt it.

Remember Bush still has the option of pardoning him after Libby's appeals run out, too... :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New He can always get "anonymous" donations of money later.
New This just in (NPR)
Seems that the Judge who sentenced the Scooter believes that Shrub's conditions "violate Federal Law" - 'probation' may be invoked only after a perp has completed his term..

Ooohh I. Love. It.

An Excuse to just complete the obv. intended, eventual total whitewash!
And get away with it, along with Cheney --
-- because No One Has the Guts to Act -- even Yet {Bets??}

All those dead Texans who never got even a peek at a reconsideration of Their trials or sentencing notwithstanding ...
(Heard also, en passant - that He+Jesus granted commutation only to 2? 3? persons thus far in his Reign
- each of whom served >10 Years before receiving that scarcity, Presidential Compassioneering.
'Course those suckers had no $$, Oil or Buddies; kinda surprising there were so Many.)

Watch those Alabaster cities gleam tomorrow, y'all
..always brings a lump, eh?

New I didn't understand the reasoning...
I heard a brief discussion of it on the NewsHour rebroadcast on our local NPR station. The argument presented was, supposedly, probation only is applicable after a prison sentence is served. Yet people get probation without serving time all the time.

Perhaps there's some details that get glossed over in reporting (e.g. the prison sentence is suspended pending successful completion of probation) though.

The people I heard talking about it said, IIRC, that the judge was going to hear arguments about it, but they didn't think that Scooter would get out of probation (short of a presidential pardon, of course).

FWIW.

[...]

I guess the technical term is "supervised release" and [link|http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/politics/20070703-1423-cialeak-confusion.html|Judge Walton raised the issue]. He's supposed to hear arguments on Monday.

It would be delicious if Bush messed this up too (by not consulting anyone in the Justice Department and elsewhere about the proper way to do it), wouldn't it?

Cheers,
Scott.
New On that News Hour segment, which I watched,...
the lady that had worked in the DoJ department dealing with pardons in past mentioned that there is a large number of pardon applications in the queue. Some people have served 10 years in prison and have met the typical requirements for consideration. W has pardoned fewer than any president in the past 100 years. Scooter, of course, bypassed DoJ review.
Alex

New If you've got a nickname from W, you're golden. :-/
New .mp3 link to the segment on the NewsHour.
[link|http://www-tc.pbs.org/newshour/rss/media/2007/07/03/20070703_libby28.mp3|20070703_libby28.mp3]. It's ~ 10 minutes or so.

I thought the ex-DOJ lawyer made a much stronger case than the guy who was impressed by the 150 letters that Scooter got in support. :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Best thing that could happen for Bush . . .
would be:

He's pleased his "base" by letting Scooter off. Now if a judge puts him back in prison on a technicality, that would please everyone else - best of both worlds.

Of course there would be some pressure for a pardon, but Bush can ignore that, he's already made his point - and soon the whole thing will be forgotten
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Bush may have opened can of worms with rational
[link|http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/04/washington/04commute.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin|NY Times]
In commuting I. Lewis Libby Jr.\ufffds 30-month prison sentence on Monday, President Bush drew on the same array of arguments about the federal sentencing system often made by defense lawyers \ufffd and routinely and strenuously opposed by his own Justice Department.

Critics of the system have a long list of complaints. Sentences, they say, are too harsh. Judges are allowed to take account of facts not proven to the jury. The defendant\ufffds positive contributions are ignored, as is the collateral damage that imprisonment causes the families involved.

On Monday, Mr. Bush made use of every element of that critique in a detailed statement setting out his reasons for commuting Mr. Libby\ufffds sentence \ufffd handing an unexpected gift to defense lawyers around the country, who scrambled to make use of the president\ufffds arguments in their own cases.

Bush may have created a whole new legal defense argument against federal sentencing rules. When Bush gave his reasons for the action, he used exactly the sorts of arguments his Justice department has rejected. While Bush's rational has no direct legal standing, it will be much harder for the Justice department lawyers to dismiss them when the defense lawyer is quoting the President.

It is so typical of the Bush administration that not only have they done something stupid that they should not have done at all, but they managed to do it badly.

Jay
New Mark Morford captures July 4, ought-Seven to a
[link|http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/04/DDGDQQPS1C1.DTL&hw=Mark+Morford&sn=001&sc=1000| fare-thee-well]. (sfgate) W.P.B.
Even Paris did more time than Scooter will do

Mark Morford

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

So there you have it. Bush shrugs and smirks and then commutes the easy, soft-focus, sit-on-your-ass-all-day-and-knit, white-collar prison sentence of a hollow political lackey who took a bullet for his sneering Mafia thug of a boss, Dick Cheney, who was complicit (along with lead flying monkey Karl Rove) in the appalling illegal outing of a CIA operative, which itself was a tiny but particularly nasty link in the giant chain of lies and deceptions undertaken to lead our wary and tattered nation into an unwinnable, impossible costly, brutally violent war that will now last, if current estimates are correct, until the goddamn sun explodes.

You have to laugh. You have to laugh because if you do not laugh you will probably be overcome with a mad desire to stab yourself in the eye with a sharp feral cat and/or shoot yourself in the toe with a high-powered staple gun, over and over again, all while tearing out pages of the U.S. Constitution and crumpling them into tiny balls and hurling them into the smoldering fire pit of who-the-hell-cares as you shiver in the corner and swig from a bottle of Knob Creek and wail at the moon. Or maybe that's just me.

But really, you do have to laugh at the vicious antics of this administration, and perhaps Dick Cheney in particular, that most nefarious molester of U.S. law and ignorer of all political integrity and deeply homophobic father of a creepy lesbian daughter and overall gruntingly gruff sneerer at all moral principle, masterful mocker of everything you still manage to think, even in your most despondent and ethically disillusioned state, that American politics is supposed to be about.

For it was Cheney, you well know, who yanked Bush's puppet strings to get Libby off the hook. It was Cheney who whispered sweet, oozing nothings into Dubya's ear to persuade him to screw the law and mock the American jury system and further lock down America's standing as the most corrupt and least accountable nation in the developed world.

What, are you surprised by all this? Of course you're not. It is, of course, all about the cover-up, all about preventing Libby from revealing the real criminals in all this, about Cheney's nefarious role in the Plame case, all about ensuring that the cabal remains intact and unassailable and throbbing with misprision.

It was so cute as to be actually damaging to the soul. Bush ambled forth and said that, while he "respects the jury" in the Libby case, the 2 1/2-year sentence was simply "too harsh." Baby, if 30 months in a comfy, well-stocked, rape-free Martha Stewart-decorated facility for compromising national security is too harsh, I've got a draconian little thing called the Patriot Act to sell you, cheap.

Here's a swell side note: You know who gets harsher sentences than 30 months in white-collar prison, George? Pot dealers. That's right. The average sentence for a convicted marijuana dealer in California is 3.3 years. In real prison, George, not that namby-pamby Club Fed where Scooter would've played badminton and sipped tea for two years. In places like Oklahoma and Alabama, you can get a life sentence for possessing a single marijuana bud, which is ironic indeed, given how if you live in Oklahoma or Alabama, there is nothing that would serve your miserable id better than to be deeply and thoroughly stoned every single day and twice on Sunday. But that's another column.

Just a hint of perspective, George. See, we all know you drank like a monosyllabic fish and were rumored to enjoy your share of premium flake during all those years you were skipping poli-sci class in college as you snorted money from the silver spoon you were born with, so maybe you can appreciate this viewpoint. Or, you know, maybe not.

You know who's now done more jail time that Scooter Libby? Paris Hilton. Paris Hilton has now accomplished more in the eyes of the law to pay her debt to society than the VP's former chief of staff ever will for assisting BushCo in corrupting the soul of the nation. Isn't that cute? Cute enough to cause sharp stabbing pain in your abdomen requiring great amounts of scotch and marijuana to anesthetize? You bet it is.

Lest we forget, Dubya's latest abuse of law follows hot on the heels of Dick Cheney declaring himself a unique and unassailable branch of government, free to ignore the law and refuse to hand over detailed reports of how he's handled classified information to the federal, Bush-approved oversight agency in charge of making sure people just like Dick don't take too many liberties with power and ego and dictatorial megalomania. Whoops, too late.

Just another appalling notch in the belt for Dick. To be added to the collection, right alongside the ones for endorsing torture, and initiating the secret detention of foreigners in brutal Eastern European prisons, and loving military tribunals, and detaining foreigners illegally for years at Guantanamo Bay, and working to derail freedom of the press, and abusing environmental law and rearranging the federal budget as he sees fit all while sucking up Halliburton kickbacks, and ...

Oh my. The blog.washingtonpost.com/cheney list is long indeed. And it is, in its way, far uglier and more dangerous than that of his bumbling, inept boss. But you already knew that, right?

All in all, you could say it's much like a very bad episode of "The Sopranos," all thick-minded thugs and boorish Mafia tactics and the childish calling in of violent favors, all about ruthless loyalty at the expense of, well, everything else: humanity, integrity, decency, the will of the people. And there is Bush, the hollow figurehead, the smirking decider, with Cheney as the henchman, the hangman, the guy at the door with the black gloves and the baseball bat and the black van waiting outside.

Except wait a minute; in this endless episode, there's no deeper sense of existential angst, no therapy sessions full of humor and revelation, no hint of greatness, no darkly heroic Tony Soprano character who transcends it all and suspects that there is more to life than this world of blood and violence and war, and even craves, somewhere in his soul, finding it.

OK, check that. It's not "The Sopranos" at all. It's more like an particularly noxious episode of "Mama's Family," all Neanderthal inbred imbeciles doing bad accents and idiotic pratfalls and slapping each other in the face to the tune of an insufferable, forced laugh track, all centered on a laughably dreadful character who blurts out sarcastic one-liners so stupid and inept they make your skin crawl.

Except no one's laughing. And tens of thousands of people are dying. And the country is rotting at its core. And the world, oh the world, the world knows this degrading, deeply humiliating show cannot be canceled fast enough.

Mark Morford's column appears Wednesdays and Fridays in Datebook and on SFGate.com. E-mail him at mmorford@sfgate.com.

Not bad for a Young-curmudgeon, eh? Perhaps HL Mencken's gene pool hasn't been diluted to nothingness by the fecund mouth-breather legions of Murica [?] Maybe..

New Thanks.
     Shrub commutes Scooter sentence - (Ashton) - (25)
         Isn't it comme-il-faut - SOP - for this forum to include... - (CRConrad) - (2)
             Here you go. - (Yendor)
             Oui, mein Herr - en passant on PBS. I also noted that, - (Ashton)
         nice hair splitting exercise - (boxley)
         The act of a compassionate conservative who has the power. - (a6l6e6x) - (8)
             'An administration corrupt to the core' - (Ashton)
             Execution is a bit much. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                 Well, you're right, of course. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     "Taking one for the team" - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Imagine the punishment, though - - (Ashton)
                 Plame/Wilson lawsuit dismissed. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     That's a diappointment. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         Their lawyers "anticipate filing an appeal" - (Another Scott)
         Notice the very odd timing - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             The timing was understandable to me. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 He can always get "anonymous" donations of money later. -NT - (CRConrad)
         This just in (NPR) - (Ashton) - (5)
             I didn't understand the reasoning... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 On that News Hour segment, which I watched,... - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     If you've got a nickname from W, you're golden. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott)
                     .mp3 link to the segment on the NewsHour. - (Another Scott)
             Best thing that could happen for Bush . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Bush may have opened can of worms with rational - (JayMehaffey)
         Mark Morford captures July 4, ought-Seven to a - (Ashton) - (1)
             Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)

Shiny buttons are human catnip.
106 ms