IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Unresolvable, of course -
You deem the EMACS command set to be as easily grokked by the Utterly Nontechnical as ... WS.

(I'd agree re 'Patty' - but she was hardly an average 'typewriter-trained' office employee, nor was she intimidated by as-yet unfamiliar techno. Now about all those flashing 00:00:00s on all those Difficult-VCRs, then and almost-still: the pool from which typists were drawn... And Presyudents.)

Unresolvable by logical what-ifs, I wot.

New Imagine using
Microsoft Word without a mouse. (Well anything Microsoft, really)

There would be a close approximation. Except Word would be less powerful and flexible.

What about data entry types that have every screen they type to memorized. I've seen them (in the days of serial terms) 10 screens ahead with input.

If you could realistically use Word without using a mouse, I'd imagine people would get far more done in a day. Though yes, the hand would cramp having to do a mind-meld grip to do some formatting options.

Ashton think about Wordperfect BEFORE the GUI came to be realistic. Legal secretaries knew it inside and out... not because it was easy to understand the key bindings... but because they were consistent enough to be able to be trained exceptionally well.

EMACS is very much the same kind of creature. Consistent, easily trainable (though I still don't use it) and very extensible. Extensible as much or as little as you want. Unlike Word.

You need to stop assuming there is a deviant plot to ANYTHING tech we here use. I use Linux, because I have the ability to make it my own and understand it. I could force you to use it and train you as well, rather than WindowsLITE or MAC*R*US, thereby causing you to stop assuming things.

Of course all assumptions are not what they appear to be, now, are they?
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0  2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
Alternate Fingerprint: 09F9 1102 9D74  E35B D841 56C5 6356 88C0
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2
New Crtl-F for forward, Ctrl-B for back . . .
. . Ctrl-D for delete - yep, real esoteric it is. And Ctrl-X for extended commands is just so much more difficult to comprehend than Ctrl-K.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New upper case D to delete rest of line, lower case x to delete
character much better. EMACS makes a fine programming tool. vi is the best editor. Although I was partial to the editor that came with brown bag software... cant recall the name at the moment
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Just further proof that using vi cripples the mind.
A modal (text vs. command) editor with case sensitive commands is an abomination on two counts.
New "Electric Pen"?
New I recall "Electric Pencil", but not "Pen"
New Ah - got it!
It was [link|http://www.dans20thcenturyabandonware.com/text/sw-catalogs/software-catalog-dos-sw.txt|PC-Outline!]. Seems they [link|http://www.allbusiness.com/technology/computer-software/326731-1.html|sued Symantec for copyright infringement] too.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New close, it was pc-write, good list!
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New I loved PC-Outline
Never found an Outliner that worked like it again.
     Whatever happened to WordStar? - (lincoln) - (32)
         I never liked it. - (Andrew Grygus) - (27)
             Who ever said it was supposed to be a "text *formatter*"? -NT - (CRConrad) - (14)
                 Because it is. - (Andrew Grygus) - (13)
                     No it (HTML) is not; as you say, it is the browser that is. - (CRConrad) - (10)
                         That's just nuts. - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                             Incorrect. - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                 CSS sucks for table-like things, though. - (admin)
                                 I think you're unfamiliar with the days . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                                     Eye Sea Elle ARRRR Peedee. (new thread) - (folkert)
                                     Jeez.. I think you just described - (Ashton)
                                     SGML isn't a layout language. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                         Pretty cocky of you to think I wouldn't know any of those - (drewk) - (2)
                                             Well, I've heard of the BBC Micro and Acorn . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                 mmm, marrowfat peas. - (pwhysall)
                     No, not "like any wordprocessor". - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         See above . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Harrumphhhh - (Ashton) - (11)
                 I can dis it all I want . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
                     Unresolvable, of course - - (Ashton) - (9)
                         Imagine using - (folkert)
                         Crtl-F for forward, Ctrl-B for back . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                             upper case D to delete rest of line, lower case x to delete - (boxley) - (6)
                                 Just further proof that using vi cripples the mind. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 "Electric Pen"? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     I recall "Electric Pencil", but not "Pen" -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Ah - got it! - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                     close, it was pc-write, good list! -NT - (boxley)
                                     I loved PC-Outline - (crazy)
         It sucked. It deserved to die. -NT - (bepatient) - (3)
             Any who were Real- (and fast-) *touch-typists* will demur - (Ashton) - (2)
                 As a very fast touch typist - I still demur . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     I do 70wpm on a good day... - (pwhysall)

Fighting and romance are weirdly similar in many ways. Two people lock eyes in a crowded room. Everybody can feel the intensity of the emotions between them. One of them suggests that they step outside. “Come on, just you and me.” It starts out dignified, but they end up rolling around, tearing at each other’s clothing.

Also, both fighting and romance tend to look a lot better in movies than they do in real life.
154 ms