IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How long has it been since I "bagged on java"?
Thanks, btw, for the help. I'm sure I've slammed java before sometimes with and sometimes without justification. I think I even complemented LimeWire as a java application. I don't like Java. It seems overly complex and, like much of the old VB6 codebase, is far too often poorly done. But I don't think I've ever been real harsh on jsp. I prefer PHP because it has fewer moving parts and does what I need it to do. I'll admit I've cracked on Java applications and the UI components and I stand by that. None of the Java applications I've ever had to use have worked well (iSeries Navigator, EnterpriseDB's admin tool, etc.) They tend to be clunky, feature lacking and slow - not to mention the myriad JDK incompatibilities. Again, that could be a developer problem, but given the complexity of the development platform, I think some of the blame can correctly rest with the architecture of that platform.

If you took the above "$DEITY help me" and "I hate having to ask this..." stuff as a slam to Java, it wasn't intended. I hate doing anything I'm this uncertain about and it appears to me that there is much more to do here than I know or even care to know about. For instance, in this case, the code change is trivial. All I'd have to do if this was PHP is make the code change. See, I'm really lazy. ;0)

I'm only trying to do this because the person here waiting for this to be done is a friend of mine and the Java consultants he hired (the original authors of this app) have been here for 2 billable days and still can't manage to synch up their local versions of tomcat, the jdk, the jdbcc connectors, etc. to actually do the work they were hired to do.
bcnu,
Mikem

Microsoft Vista. The best reason ever to buy a Mac.
New Why Java Sucks: The Roman Army Language
I prefer PHP because it has fewer moving parts and does what I need it to do.

The problem with Java is that you are flooded with Java's frameworks and other frameworks, like Tomcat, that force a certain strait-jacket on you. What I've learned to do is collect light-weight "micro-frameworks" for dynamic languages that can be tossed, modified, or ignored as needed to get the job done. You date micro-frameworks, not marry them. They are a series of functions that one puts into an INCLUDE file.

Often I modify a copy for a particular application. This violates true factoring, but true factoring (aka pure reuse) for domain libraries has never worked right. The Ultimate Generic Thing ends up being an explosion of features needed to handle each blue-moon case like an idealistic feature packrat. It is easier to add niche features to a "core" sample than to try to have a shared version with every niche feature and a giant interface.

Some say microframeworks would not work in a bigger shop that needs to enforce a constistent rowing pattern as the whip is snapped to a rythm, and perhaps they are right. But I try to avoid big beurocratic shops for that reason. Java reflects it's targeted culture: Big tangled money lost in big tangled red-tape armies. I'll take lean and nimble frameworks with dynamic languages instead.
Knowing Your Subject Is Not Required.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?pwhysall|A better terminal emulator]
[image|http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h262/pwhysall/Misc/saveus.png|0|Darwinia||]
New Amen for iSeries Navigator!

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

$DEITY Help Me. - (mmoffitt) - (16)
         Re: $DEITY Help Me. - (Yendor) - (4)
             He might not need to restart - (admin)
             Thanks! - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 Sorry... - (Yendor) - (1)
                     No offense. - (mmoffitt)
         Re: $DEITY Help Me. - (admin) - (5)
             How long has it been since I "bagged on java"? - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                 Why Java Sucks: The Roman Army Language - (tablizer) - (2)
                     Tomcat is a framework? -NT - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                         This Is The Internet. - (pwhysall)
                 Amen for iSeries Navigator! -NT - (imric)
         If you're lucky, ant - (dws)
         Error: $DIETY not found. No such variable exists. -NT - (tablizer)
         Thanks all. Got it working with Yendor's help. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
             Whee! -NT - (Yendor)
             $DEITY="Yendor" -NT - (Arkadiy)

Don't touch that channel!
54 ms