IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New AOL To Offer Bounty For Space On New PCs
It looks like the ruling by the Courts has enboldened some of Microsoft's competitors. They realize that that Microsoft can't retaliate the way they used to. This may be the first solid evidence that the ruling is starting to level the playing field. Cool.

[link|http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/168358.html|
AOL To Offer Bounty For Space On New PCs ]

By Alec Klein, Washington Post
NEW YORK, NEW YORK, U.S.A.,
26 Jul 2001, 5:32 AM CST

AOL Time Warner Inc. is moving aggressively to take advantage of Microsoft Corp.'s tenuous legal standing, seeking deals with computer makers to target consumers with subtle and direct marketing pitches that would help AOL grab more control of the computer desktop.
In internal AOL documents, the media giant lays out a strategy that calls on manufacturers to build into their new personal computers icons, pop-up notices and other consumer messages aimed at pushing aside Microsoft by giving AOL's products prominent placement on PCs. It's the latest foray in an intensifying feud between the two technology titans over consumers and supremacy on the Internet.
New Did you see Microsoft's quote...

"AOL's actions are unprecedented and completely anti-consumer," said Microsoft spokesman Vivek
Varma. "AOL is paying [computer makers] to eliminate consumer choice, forcing people to select the
most expensive service in the industry."

Stainless steel traps breed stainless steel rats.
New Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah!!!
New The hipocracy is too blatant for mere words. ROFLMAO :-)
-----
Steve
New But wait. It gets better! :)
Apparently, being stuck in the start-up menu instead of getting your own icon is anti-consumer and egregious! What story will the boys in Redmond innovate next?
[link|http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6691350.html?tag=mn_hd|
AOL wins space on Compaq desktops]

July 26, 2001, 9:10 p.m. PT
AOL Time Warner won an early victory Thursday in its battle with Microsoft for prominent placement of their icons on computer screens.

Compaq said that it has decided to go ahead to feature AOL on its desktop screen, considered the prime piece of real estate on a computer. MSN would be relegated to the "start" menu, where a user would have to click and drag the cursor through at least two steps to get to the service.
"It's not a question of AOL paying computer manufacturers to be present in the new machines. They have always done that," said Vivek Varma, Microsoft spokesman. "In fact, they are already distributed with over 90 percent of PCs. What they are doing here is paying computer manufacturers to eliminate alternatives and we think that's anti-consumer and troubling."

Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer also weighed in at the company's annual analyst meeting, saying, "We've never told an OEM what they can and cannot ship, or tried to restrict what they can put on the operating system. The stuff AOL is doing now is just limiting market choice, it's just egregious."

New Let us all shed a tear for Mr. Balmer
[link|www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New BWAAAAAAHHH!...*snif*...*giggle*...*chortle*...*GUFFAW!!!*
What a lying sack of shit!

Hey Steevo! Guess the shoe don't fit so good on the other foot, eh?
jb4

(Resistance is not futile...)
New So we have 2 scurrilous monopolists battling over sheep
instead of the one.

I guess that's a kind of 'progress' - each imagines it 'owns' or ought to own, the molding of febrile minds towards Slot A or Slot B. I'm still waiting for Slots 3 thru n.

As to this PopUp BS - only way to make that bulletproof is slip it into the BIOS. Wanna read your HD? Read *US* first - which gets (from me) an immediately returned system. The seller re-flashes that Trojan or eats the sale.

Hmmm - maybe Award and Phoenix (if it still lives?) need some competition too: Free-BIOS Ltd: We restore your BIOS to operational condition, free of ugly commercial pollution.. $25 a pop?

Can't this #^@@#%& bizness do Anything without filling every memory-cycle with another fucking Ad guaranteed to piss-off everyone?

Murica 2001 - Buy 24/7 or Die. Ugly. And these machines have enabled this mindset to expand orders of magnitude. What atrocities await us in next 2-4 years?

Ashton
Are we smarter than maze-trained rats?
OK - could we catch up then?
New Hey don't knock it...
It's sorta like AMD and Intel.
Stainless steel traps breed stainless steel rats.
New Re: So we have 2 scurrilous monopolists battling over sheep
Aren't 2 monopolists better than one?
jb4

New Errrr.
I don't think you can have 2 monopolies....

Kinda by definition. :)

(have to have differing markets)

Addison
New Re: Errrr.
Sure you can. One has a monopoly in a market. They are monopolies in different markets. These companies all so happen to overlap in some markets e.g. both are IPSs where neither is a monopoly. Not by choice, however.
Alex

This is my sig. There's another almost like it, but this one is mine.
New You're right but..
One must take into account the fact that, in every Repo heart beats the mantra -

If I spin this right, coerce the right folk far enough and - get away with it long enough to destroy the competition: I too can Own It All.

Thus - yes, only One might be at the top of the razor blade technically: But *every* 'same order of magnitude' contender has Only One Goal. Left unscrutinized fir eine augenblicht:

Well, we know.

A.
(Poor underdog MicroSoft VS Big Bad Blue, anyone? All that lugubrious free sympathy for young Billy and his horde .. and their date with destiny)
New You can't have two monopolIES, but you can have...
...two or more monopolISTS.

Monopolist is a state of mind, one that eschews the mantra (and myth) of "free market" in favor of "it's mine! It's ALL MINE!!! And I'll do WHATEVER IT TAKES to make it ALL MINE!!! The Ends justify the Means!"

Hope that clarifies.
jb4

AOL To Offer Bounty For Space On New PCs - (brettj) - (13)
         Did you see Microsoft's quote... - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
             Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah!!! -NT - (CRConrad)
             The hipocracy is too blatant for mere words. ROFLMAO :-) -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (3)
                 But wait. It gets better! :) - (brettj) - (2)
                     Let us all shed a tear for Mr. Balmer -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         BWAAAAAAHHH!...*snif*...*giggle*...*chortle*...*GUFFAW!!!* - (jb4)
         So we have 2 scurrilous monopolists battling over sheep - (Ashton) - (6)
             Hey don't knock it... - (Simon_Jester)
             Re: So we have 2 scurrilous monopolists battling over sheep - (jb4) - (4)
                 Errrr. - (addison) - (3)
                     Re: Errrr. - (a6l6e6x)
                     You're right but.. - (Ashton)
                     You can't have two monopolIES, but you can have... - (jb4)

Reillusionment... what a concept.
79 ms