IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Can we trust in criticism of the bible?
[link|http://koti.phnet.fi/elohim/canwetrustcriticismoftheBible|http://koti.phnet.fi...iticismoftheBible]

In this writing we are going to examine the reliability of the Bible especially concerning that of the Gospels. These matters may be problematic for many people and they may lose their faith because of it. Often the statements of many researchers, in which they may doubt the history of the Bible or say things like "In the real world miracles have never happened", may influence people's minds. They may say that the Bible is not reliable in the things that it talks about.

However, it is good to notice that such statements are nothing new but have been presented already during the past two hundred years. Actually it is interesting to notice that as Darwin 's theory of evolution and the theory of the ice age became well-known among people, the said higher criticism of the Bible began to gain ground simultaneously. Researchers, who started questioning the writings of Jesus' life and other events of the Bible, began to spring up. They might have thought that if the creation and the Flood are not true in the light of the previous theories, what reason would we then have to believe in information about Jesus. So it is certainly not by chance that all three matters came out almost simultaneously.

In any case, it is good for us to research this. The purpose is to help especially those people who want to know more about this matter, and to show how reasonable it is to trust in events mentioned in the Bible. If you struggle with this matter, it is worth your while to read the next lines.

New Yes, you can.
It's not an accurate historical document, and well you should know it.

Look, it's a matter of faith, and your web page admits this:

The starting-point for these researchers is that the gospels can't be true! They start from the view that things like being born from a virgin, miraculous healing and rising from the dead can't happen and that's why they have to explain why the early successors of Jesus supposed that these things had happened. The simple and reasonable explanation that these matters really have happened is not regarded as a plausible \ufffdexcuse."

This is simple, childish argument by assertion. That's not an explanation in any reasonable sense of the word.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?pwhysall|A better terminal emulator]
[image|http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h262/pwhysall/Misc/saveus.png|0|Darwinia||]
Expand Edited by pwhysall May 30, 2007, 06:53:40 AM EDT
New miracles do happen, they didnt stop 2k years ago
most people are to busy to notice them.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Can't prove that it didn't happen, therefore it did? Yawn!
I can walk through walls unaided, and have done so in the past, including bank vault walls. I can turn lead into gold. I can cure cancer with the flick of my wrist. I'm going to get my invisible friends to paint rude comments on your front door. You can't say I'm writing rubbish merely because it contradicts the current 'scientific world picture'.

Or to paraphrase your site.
The fact that you may say that no miracles or the supernatural by myself can have happened is, however, a very brave and contraditory claim. It is based on their preconceptions and not on what we can really be sure of. For whenever it is presented such claims we should actually have unlimited knowledge of the world's history. In other words, if it is claimed \ufffdI know that miracles can't happen\ufffd, it is the same as if someone said that he knows all the events of the world's history. It would require him to know everything, that has ever taken place, perfectly.

You certainly don't know my history, let alone the world's. So you can't simply dismiss my claims of supernatural powers and friends as rubbish. Are you checking you've got enough paint thinner and a brush? Of course you aren't as you know my supernatural claims are rubbish. Well, guess what. I know the claim the Jesus walked on water is rubbish.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New can you work thru the walls of the loo at work
and tell the silly fucker to flush? ta,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

New Maybe, but if he did, he'd lose his job
Miracles don't cover unemployment...
jb4
"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment."
George W. Bush, when asked if he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war (Newsweek, 26 Feb 07)
New Ah, but you'd only need...
...five loaves of bread and two fish, and you'd be set for life! ;)

One ticket for the short bus to Hell, please!
Odoru aho ni miru aho!
Onaji aho nara odoranya son son!
New You fergot the lamp oil thingie!
Gotta be able to read, donchano...
jb4
"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment."
George W. Bush, when asked if he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war (Newsweek, 26 Feb 07)
New he's a brit I think, cant get fired ornless
he forgot to blow the shop steward on is birthday
thanx,
bill

New Even the gods can't violate lavatory etiquette.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New trust but verify aside from the kiddie humor below
there is several questions that need to be asked. Do you personally believe the bible literally in all its passages? If so there really isnt much to discuss because the new testament after the resurrection and the hijacking of the movement by people who never witnessed the evens surrounding the crucifiction pretty much tears out everything G_d gave us and tossed Yeshua Ben Yoseph's message into the toilet.
thanx,
bill

New Sigh.

The quality of Christian apologetics has been steadily declining since the thirteenth century; the drivel that passes these days, as exemplified by your link, is undoubtedly causing St. Thomas to spin in his grave.

--\r\nYou cooin' with my bird?
New Indeed, but St. Thomas shows us how dangerous . . .
. . that can be. Taking a break from writing yet another volume of theological argument he accidentally achieved enlightenment.

"All that I have written seems to me nothing but straw compared with what I have seen and what has been revealed to me." No details of course, since he never wrote again, at least not on theology.

He was already scheduled to be a saint, and since he kept his mouth shut beatification went through on schedule despite whatever misgivings church officials may have had.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New A recurrent scenario
One that comes to mind, though much more obscure generally - P.D. Ouspensky, chronicler of the Russian mystic G. I. Gurdjieff -

On his deathbed.. he forced self (well.. 'body') to get up and walk around, against lots of odds. Now this was an "intellectually-centered" kinda guy (whereas Gurdjieff, who always answered, when asked "what you do?" - said, "I am a dancemaster") -- he was a "moving-centered" kinda guy. The one (PDO) trying to make 'expressible'-sense of the other (GIG)

Ouspensky had said, towards the last of his life (unclear recollection of how near to being abed, dying)

"I am abandoning the System" (on which he had spent much of his life / with Gurdjieff and the other students.)

Common thread in all these episodes: Words Fail.
(As does the limited biped imagination.)

But who wants to hear That... when there's fame, glory, $$ and Power to be garnered, peddling - - and jillions of words to fill all those hours 'preaching' - - from all that imagination.

Thomas, IIRC was the One who uttered ~ "the *Kingdom is all about you, yet you Will not See." Seems to me he had by then, also - "abandoned the System" / the popular skits du-that-jour, since cast in solid Impenetrium.

* ~ "Kingdom of 'Heaven'" - in various transliterations

We're all a Hoot. ecce homo
     Can we trust in criticism of the bible? - (PetriFB) - (13)
         Yes, you can. - (pwhysall) - (1)
             miracles do happen, they didnt stop 2k years ago - (boxley)
         Can't prove that it didn't happen, therefore it did? Yawn! - (warmachine) - (6)
             can you work thru the walls of the loo at work - (boxley) - (5)
                 Maybe, but if he did, he'd lose his job - (jb4) - (3)
                     Ah, but you'd only need... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         You fergot the lamp oil thingie! - (jb4)
                     he's a brit I think, cant get fired ornless - (boxley)
                 Even the gods can't violate lavatory etiquette. -NT - (warmachine)
         trust but verify aside from the kiddie humor below - (boxley)
         Sigh. - (ubernostrum) - (2)
             Indeed, but St. Thomas shows us how dangerous . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 A recurrent scenario - (Ashton)

That is not actually a charming anecdote!
63 ms