IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Look at it this way . . .
The center of your stuffing won't reach 180°F until right at the end of roasting. Rice is generally steamed or boiled at 212°F for 10 to 15 minutes and there's plenty of water in the process. There's not going to be a lot of water inside your bird at any time, as is demonstrated by the survival of bread stuffings.

Personally, I wouldn't try it.

On the other hand raw rice is used in casseroles so if you made it as dressing rather than stuffing it should work.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Collapse Edited by Andrew Grygus May 29, 2007, 10:04:07 PM EDT
Look at it this way . . .
The center of your stuffing won't reach 180°F until right at the end of roasting. Rice is generally steamed or boiled at 212°F for 10 to 15 minutes and there's plenty of water in the process. There's not going to be a lot of water inside your bird at any time, as is demonstrated by the survival of bread stuffings.

Personally, I wouldn't try it.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I don't need a crispy skin.
I wasn't thinking of cooking it at normal temp/times. More like 250 F for 5/6 hours, I think that would bring the center of the bird up to a high enough temp for long enough to cook the rice. As for the moisture aspect, with the right kind of fruit, that should also be covered (I also have a turkey baster, the interior can be doused as needed with drippings).

Cooked rice swells to about 3 times its dry size. Add juicy pears, tangy apples, maybe a peach. And citrus from cranberries. Keep the rice to minimum (1/4 - 1/8cup? 1/8th seems right). And just a bit of Vidalia onion. I know what dinner will be this seekend.
-----------------------------------------
Atheism is a religion in the same sense that not collecting stamps is a hobby.
     Using rice to make stuffing - (Silverlock) - (9)
         Can I ask why you'd want to do that? - (Another Scott) - (5)
             Why? Why not? - (Silverlock) - (4)
                 :-) I'll let you try it first. -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     I hope to avoid avoidable mistakes. - (Silverlock) - (2)
                         Look at it this way . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             I don't need a crispy skin. - (Silverlock)
         Update: Don't try this at home - (Silverlock) - (2)
             pixorstfu - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 My duck did not asplode. - (Silverlock)

Note for the linguistically-impaired: That was a rhetorical question. (Second note, for the vocabulary-challenged: That means you're not supposed to answer it.)
52 ms