Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Possibly
Does wanting this man

No
and any other illegal caught violating so much as a jaywalking statue

Possibly

As long as your belief applies to *all* immigrants it is not racism, though it could still be an irrational bias.

Is there a word for somebody biased against immigrants, no matter what their race is?

The reality is that a large percent of the people that say "kick them all out" really mean only Spanish speaking immigrants.

Jay
New No, the reality is different.
The reality is that those in favor of granting amnesty characterize the opposition as being "anti-mexican". This is the point I have been not so subtly making here.

It happens that it will more directly impact the latino population simply because that is nationality of the vast majority of illegals.

However, if the police happen to pull over a 21 yr old Saudi on an expired passport or visa I would certainly rest better knowing that the LAPD actually checked that paperwork. But they don't. They've been told not to. Just let them go ahead and get on the plane :-/ And if I oppose this and if I call loudly for this person of illegal status to be hunted actively and to be placed on that plane in shackles on his way back home...I am told that I am a racist..that I'm afraid of "little brown people". Quite frankly that characterization of my view is beyond offensive to me and I would think would be offensive to any person that has actually bothered to do the right thing in their quest to be a US citizen. I have several friends in that process now.

Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New I don't see any conflict
The reality is that a large percent of the people that say "kick them all out" really mean only Spanish speaking immigrants.

\t
The reality is that those in favor of granting amnesty characterize the opposition as being "anti-mexican". This is the point I have been not so subtly making here.

The left wing certainly does like to tar everybody that opposes their position on immigration as being racist. That doesn't change the fact that a significant percentage are. Not all, probably not even most, but nor is it trivial group.

Jay
New "Xenophobe", while over-broad, is at least not quite *wrong*
HTH! :-)
New Again, not correct.
Because that would mean opposition to LEGAL immigration as well, which is not the case for most.
New Based on the question Jay asked, he described his answer
rather well:

As long as your belief applies to *all* immigrants it is not racism, though it could still be an irrational bias.

Is there a word for somebody biased against immigrants, no matter what their race is?

Xenophobe is overly broad, but I couldn't think of anything closer.

On this issue, I think what you are describing is an immigration culture and not a liberal culture. When the sanctuary came back as an issue the 80's, it was an issue the liberals supported. Now days, a liberal is just as likely to support the labor side of the issue and support immigration reform that limits new immigration and supports supports enforcement.

Conservatives who are pro-business tend to support open borders as a supply of labor that will work hard, will continue to do the work others give up on and happens to be cheap. They also aren't very supportive of laws to increase corp. accountability in hiring illegal aliens.

Using immigration laws to as a tool in the fight against gang violence is something everyone should support, but seem to be afraid of the issue because they don't want to lose a large chunk of the electorate. Labeling it a liberal issue doesn't help anything.

As to the racism issue, I am not sure what I read into Ashton's comment; it doesn't seem to fit his other comments. But, he can defend himself well enough.
Seamus
New The tone was not just...
...in the followup comment...but even worse (i'd say) in the article itself.

I was being specific in the liberal politic regarding non enforcement..the safe harbor policies.

The waters do indeed get more muddied when you bring in hiring and enforcement of work rules..and I agree that the conservative side has alot of problems here. GWB and his ilk don't get a pass from me either.

But labor law and hiring are secondary issues..by this I mean the primary enforcement of immigration rests with law enforcement..which unfortunately has specific policies to NOT enforce laws. That is something with which I (obviously) have a large problem.
New I think the politics behind the non-enforcement is more than
just liberal politics. IMO immigration politics has taken on a life force of its own because of the potentially huge electoral implications.
Seamus
     A great case for amnesty. - (bepatient) - (29)
         Racist? Probably not. - (ubernostrum) - (2)
             Not a straw man - (bepatient) - (1)
                 I'm reminded of certain other forums - (ubernostrum)
         Rereading the article...was he selling drugs to kids - (Simon_Jester) - (15)
             Most customers were in 3rd, 4th and 5th grades. - (bepatient) - (14)
                 It's not a simple problem. - (Another Scott) - (13)
                     On this issue - I do.... - (Simon_Jester) - (12)
                         I slightly agree, but I don't think it's a "liberal" issue. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                             Re: I slightly agree, but I don't think it's a "liberal" iss - (bepatient) - (9)
                                 Where to begin... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     In case you missed it... - (bepatient)
                                 You know, you're really trying way to hard to stir the pot.. - (Simon_Jester) - (6)
                                     Yes. Thats exactly what I'm saying. - (bepatient) - (5)
                                         Close.... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                                             Sure. - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                 Sorry, still disagree on this one - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                                     I guess we will - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                         You don't look very hard - (Simon_Jester)
                             My definition of liberal here - (Simon_Jester)
         Possibly - (JayMehaffey) - (7)
             No, the reality is different. - (bepatient) - (1)
                 I don't see any conflict - (JayMehaffey)
             "Xenophobe", while over-broad, is at least not quite *wrong* -NT - (CRConrad) - (4)
                 Again, not correct. - (bepatient) - (3)
                     Based on the question Jay asked, he described his answer - (Seamus) - (2)
                         The tone was not just... - (bepatient) - (1)
                             I think the politics behind the non-enforcement is more than - (Seamus)
         You rang? inferentially - (Ashton) - (1)
             You linked the article - (bepatient)

Did you, ummmmmmm, see the TPS memo?
95 ms