IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Heard an interesting comparison of French politics.
[link|http://www.abc.net.au/correspondents/|Correspondent's Report] on [link|http://www.abc.net.au/rn/|ABC Radio National] asked their European Correspondant to [link|http://www.abc.net.au/correspondents/content/2007/s1921259.htm|interview himself about the current changes in France and the UK].

You have to love a city where the simple act of buying a ham and cheese sandwich and a double espresso can be so nourishing - the smell, the workmen chatting at the bar, the guy behind the bar producing it all with a flourish.

And then the harsh, impatient Anglo-Saxon reality of my job clashes with that delightful, yet laid-back, French attitude. I need to pay and quickly run a couple of hundred metres and get back to the camera position looking over the Eiffel Tower.

But the guy behind the bar, the one with the flourish, is in the middle of a relaxed but animated chat with a suave looking couple. I'm waving around my money, but he hasn't noticed, and he's in no rush.

As the minutes click down, and in my mind's eye I hear Lateline's theme tune going to air in Australia, it suddenly hits me - this is what the left in France fears will be destroyed by Nicolas Sarkozy, their way of life, their passionate resistance to what they see as an Anglo-Saxon led rat-race fuelled by turbo-charged globalisation.

But I made it back in time, all the while thinking French politics is so far to the left of politics in the UK and Australia that Kevin Rudd's industrial relations policy would be seen as more right-wing than that of the supposedly divisive and newly elected French President.

It may not make much sense to anyone not up on Australian politics, but it was an illuminating look. And even if that quote doesn't make sense, Epstein goes on to talk about Tony Blair's farewell speech and how England in that context compares to France.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

New OT: what is it with tiny text?
I'm going to stab, in the face, over the Internet, the next Web 2.0 haiku-writing motherfucker who puts body text in 7 or 8 point [link|http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/stuff/crapstuff/verdana.html|Verdana]. Bonus face stabbings for making said text medium grey.

Fuckheads. Don't you want us to read it?

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?pwhysall|A better terminal emulator]
[image|http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h262/pwhysall/Misc/saveus.png|0|Darwinia||]
     What the f*** kind of question is that. - (bepatient) - (104)
         I blame Jimmy Carter. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             I was looking for his 'lust in my heart' line -NT - (Seamus)
         Same as the rest of the media and the American public. - (n3jja) - (5)
             Just caught that episode tonight - - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Re: those Stupid French! - (a6l6e6x)
                 In true noo-meeja style... - (pwhysall)
             Heard an interesting comparison of French politics. - (static) - (1)
                 OT: what is it with tiny text? - (pwhysall)
         Scratching head.... - (Simon_Jester)
         Yeah, almost as bad as elevating extramarital blowjobs to... - (CRConrad) - (94)
             WHAT! - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                 Oh, not at all unheard of. There is the small consolation... - (CRConrad)
             lying about blowjobs under oath is the same as - (boxley) - (91)
                 Point missed. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     because of the paula jones lawsuit claiming sexual assault - (boxley) - (1)
                         Ah, the Paula Jones lawsuit. - (pwhysall)
                 NFW are they the same - (Seamus) - (30)
                     yawn, quick poll - (boxley) - (15)
                         Yes on both - HTF could anyone vote any other way?!? -NT - (CRConrad)
                         If Starr was going after Gringrich - (Seamus) - (13)
                             Im no champion, you have me confused wit someone else - (boxley) - (12)
                                 You were when the subject was Hillary - (Seamus) - (11)
                                     lets reason on this - (boxley) - (10)
                                         Yes, lets reason on this - (Seamus) - (9)
                                             I see, so getting a hummer while talking to senators - (boxley) - (8)
                                                 The Senate is PART OF Congress, mr Law Expert. HTH! -NT - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                                     I got yer suppah swingin - (boxley) - (5)
                                                         A) I'm not sure he got it wrong, and... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                             This is so great...you misspelled mistake :-) HTH -NT - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                 At the risk of killing the frog: What - you don't mean... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                     Killing frogs? - (bepatient)
                                                         No Bill, I lumped the 2 together and didn't explicitly state - (Seamus)
                                                 I understand it just fine - (Seamus)
                     Numbers? - (bepatient) - (13)
                         If he can name 7, will you concede? -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                             Would just like to see some backup - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 You are a piece of work (new thread) - (Seamus)
                         Re: Numbers? - (Seamus) - (9)
                             Then don't do this - (bepatient) - (8)
                                 You expanded to include affairs - (Seamus) - (7)
                                     Strike 2 -NT - (bepatient) - (6)
                                         You struck out a long time ago. -NT - (Seamus) - (5)
                                             Right. Keep those blinders on firmly. -NT - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                 Again, utterly hilarious coming from you. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                     Right. You seem to be affected by the same... - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                         "Toe". You *tow* a car, and *toe* a line. HTH! - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                             Thank you Mr Roget. -NT - (bepatient)
                 I don't think you're getting it. - (CRConrad) - (56)
                     *applause* - (pwhysall) - (42)
                         Meanwhile, in France - (bepatient) - (41)
                             Why did you mention age? - (pwhysall) - (34)
                                 All part of the story. -NT - (bepatient) - (33)
                                     This is what I'm on about. - (pwhysall) - (25)
                                         Ah, I see. - (bepatient) - (24)
                                             Gibbering on and on about this, in order to relativise... - (CRConrad) - (22)
                                                 First of all. - (bepatient) - (21)
                                                     They may have thought that he had WMDs - (Seamus)
                                                     You know... - (Simon_Jester) - (19)
                                                         My isn't revisionist history alive and well. - (bepatient) - (18)
                                                             they really didnt beleive it tho, snicker -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                 Thats why they voted for it b4 voting against it! -NT - (bepatient)
                                                             Let's see what else Byrd said. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                                                 Eloquent but irrelevant. - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                     You're being too broad again... - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                                         I don't think so. - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                             Not so. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                                                 Ok, so they don't get the President's Daily Brief. - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                                     The "You didn't catch me, so it's not my fault" defense? :-/ -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                                         Hardly - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                             You do remember who ran the Senate until Jan 2007, right? - (Another Scott)
                                                                             Re: I don't think so. (new thread) - (lincoln)
                                                                         and which prrominant democrats running for prez - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                             See #285239. I don't read MoveOn.org. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                             Yes, yes indeed it is. - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                                                                 Alright then. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                     What can I say, I just pulled them from RightWingNews (iirc) -NT - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                         Never been to that site (new thread) - (bepatient)
                                             Nor is it a consistent one - (Seamus)
                                     More like all part of the "narrative" -NT - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                         Ok. Nit well picked. -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                                             No. A distinction, not a nit. - (rcareaga)
                                     So why didn't you mention her religion? Or the colour of... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                         Nope. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                             Ah, "relevance". That's a good one, coming from you. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                 Just easily distracted :-) -NT - (bepatient)
                             You're joking right? - (scoenye) - (5)
                                 Talk to Peter - (bepatient)
                                 I didn't say they weren't corrupt. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                     Ah! Well, yes, that is a bit alien to us as well... - (scoenye) - (2)
                                         signed up, had to choose the second life option tho -NT - (boxley)
                                         Thats why I love Belgium :-) - (bepatient)
                     your great skills in language match your ignorance of law - (boxley) - (12)
                         Another article about it: - (admin) - (11)
                             I like this one better - (boxley) - (7)
                                 In the end all that matters is what congress thinks of as - (Seamus)
                                 OTOH, Posner's book covers this stuff, too. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                     dont think much of posner's ideas -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                         Different strokes. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                             Im more aligned with Blackstone, Gerry Spence and Pliskin -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                 Snake Plisken, I heard you were dead. -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                     sshhh! -NT - (boxley)
                             Interesting, but zooks that's broad... -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 think about it, Gore would have been president for 2 years - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Nope. - (Another Scott)

Ahead one third!
199 ms