IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Going to Sonoma - Late June
I need bed and breakfast and winery recommendations for those who reside in N. California or visit there often. My wife and I will be celebrating our 20th somewhere up there.

Also, since we have some Aussies here, I just wanted to comment on how much I like Aussie wine like Jacob's Creek, Rosemount, and Penfolds. All of those have good Shiraz. And their Chardonnays aren't bad either.

Even the Cab/Shiraz is very good.

Glen Austin
New I prefer the coastal Sonoma wine country
Just north of Santa Rosa through Healdsburg and up to the Mendocino coast. Fewer tourists, friendlier, and some good microbreweries, too (Moylan's in Novato, Bear Republic in Healdsburg, Russian River Brewery (my favorite, which I belive is now in Santa Rosa or Sebastapol), and Mendocino Brewing Company in Hopland).

A friend used to work for a winery in Cloverdale that wasn't open to the public, but received 30-50% discounts at most wineries - very nice! There are too many wineries to list, and a lot depends on your taste (e.g. my friend felt that Chateau St Jean and Ferrari-Carano are overpriced), but some we liked included J Fritz, Lake Sonoma Winery, Brutocao (in Hopland).

In any case, enjoy!

--Tony
New We have a lot of good wines.
I know you're unlikely to find much in the US stores beyond the big brands, but the ones you've listed are pretty good. However, if you're really interested, there are lots in Au that are better than those. Some much better. (I can recommend HazelGrove if you ever come across it.)

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

New Yeah-but . . .
. . there's one named Stone Creek or something like that that gave me ringing in the ears like nobody's business. Caused me to lay off OZ wine for a while, but I've had a few bottles since that didn't have that effect so apparently it's brand specific.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Very likely.
I am always astonished at just how many there are. And how vastly different they can be. Near where I live, there is a large (for AU) liquor outlet: it would probably be about 300 square metres in size. More than 85% of floor space is Australian wine. There is a small corner with beer and spirits, and another small corner with imported wine from NZ, Europe and South Africa.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
Please

· my ·

New We have a lot of good wines.
I know you're unlikely to find much in the US stores beyond the big brands, but the ones you've listed are pretty good. However, if you're really interested, there are lots in Au that are better than those. Some much better. (I can recommend HazelGrove if you ever come across it.)

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
Please

· my ·

New If you need free digs across from SF
My wife and I can provide a comfortable garrett room. Let me know.
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New I'm in the county..
Alas - like the NYer who's never been to the Statue of Liberty, I pay little attention to the entire wine syndrome (while near Kenwood, Ch. St. Jean, etc.)
In another life I've sampled Petrus, Lafitte and the other Grand Crus - was an interesting voyage to find out the differences, yet my Sub-prime directive re 'wine' has become ~~ It's a curse to become needful of items which have been bid up to sometimes silly price tags. I've found decent replacements for the occasional fete.

Thus can offer no comparative advice. I expect that 'Sonoma wine tasting room (map?)' would get jillions of polished pointers. Only er, exciting=memorable local wine tasted recently, fwiw --
an '03 Coturri labelled 'Red' with a picture of a biped of that name on label.
A blend which I find 'balanced' for acidity, finish and with even, a hint of rusty nail:
40% Cab; 20% Cabernet Franc, ditto% - Merlot and Syrah. They're in Glen Ellen, surely in shops too, I'd wot.

Similarly re B n'Bs - they are uniformly expensive here; many 'entrepreneurs' are trying to make the Valley of the Moon into a Disneyland for well-heeled travelers, resulting in congestion on the (mostly 2-lane) roads most weekends. Quite less of a pain on weekdays. I'd say.. stay in this area only if $$ is little object.
(Were my cottage larger .. yet - not suitable for an Anniv. celeb; trust me on this. :-)

Will check with neighbor (who hails from a local Founding Family) for any tips re B n'Bs locally - and pass on anything remarkable. I'd tend to second Tony's comments re "better value" a bit North, (depending on your interests in specific vintners, natch.)

A bit more, later - if James is about.

Ashton

New Change of Plans - Santa Fe NM
The 20th anniversary ring cost a little more than I wanted to pay, but "she's worth it".

Add to that, it's NASCAR weekend in Sonoma. Who put a racetrack in wine country? We can't get the room we want. We "were" going to go on an AAdvantage miles ticket, but if we travel Friday/Monday the mileage requirement is higher than the miles I have. Basically, you have to go Wednesday and return on Tuesday to use 25k miles, otherwise, it's 45k miles. So, we would be left buying 2 tickets and not being able to stay in the places our friends recommended.

So, we're going to Santa Fe, instead. I have 2 free Southwest Airlines passes (which don't have restrictions and black out dates), a free Casita near downtown Santa Fe (wife's family). So we will be out just food and rental car for the weekend.

We'll do that instead and keep our money. Any wineries near Santa Fe? My wife will be just as happy and we don't have to fight crowds.

So, Santa Fe, it is.

Glen Austin
     Going to Sonoma - Late June - (gdaustin) - (8)
         I prefer the coastal Sonoma wine country - (tonytib)
         We have a lot of good wines. - (static) - (2)
             Yeah-but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Very likely. - (static)
         We have a lot of good wines. - (static)
         If you need free digs across from SF - (rcareaga)
         I'm in the county.. - (Ashton)
         Change of Plans - Santa Fe NM - (gdaustin)

Did you like my little stink wafties?
98 ms