IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New sanctions, yes. "tort reform," no
I had a bet with myself, reading about this in the morning Chron, whether it would be the Beep or the Box whose saliva would first reach the bottom of the cage once this bell was sounded. My money was on you, Bill, and you did not disappoint.

The plaintiff is a vindictive nutcase, and I hope that when the matter is at last adjudicated he has his ass handed to him with the additional requirement that he underwrites all costs incurred to date. So we're on the same page so far.

But no, you think this means we must needs have "tort reform." My homeward commute is frequently disfigured by billboards urging this same agenda. These announcements have been paid for by...well of course, by simple citizens who have spontaneously risen up, moved by simple outrage at the plight of humble mom-and-pop Korean drycleaning operations, and pooled their modest savings to purchase public space that they might cry out against these injustices.

Ya think?

Well, Beep, I hate to be the one to break the news, but so-called "tort reform" isn't being pushed and financed by the little people, but rather by the big, who would dearly love to "reform" the rights of their sundry collateral damages to seek redress in court right out of existence. Does the system as presently constituted permit egregious abuses of the type this sorry episode describes? It does (there are avenues of retribution, and I hope that this plaintiff ultimately weeps bitter tears as he travels thereupon). Ought we then "reform" the tort system as those who are already exploiting the case would have us do? In that case I await your appeal to rescind the Second Amendment on the basis of its abuse last month at Virginia Tech. But of course, "a foolish consistency" and all that...

litigiously,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New There are all sorts of possibilities.
And the second amendment point is one very rouge poisson.

In Virginia, consistent enforcement of the laws on the books would have prevented that situation.

There's no law currently against what this Judge Jerkyboy is doing. There should be.

I suppose I am guilty of "headline grabbing" here...just like the press. I'm not against damages being awarded by the Courts...I'm against the system being abused. This is a clear case of system abuse...and currently there isn't anything that can stop it.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New cure. disease. worse.
New Where's the spirit...
...if it harms just one innocent person it should be thrown away. Isn't that the argument against capital punishment?

(nudge)
New note that argument against death penalty
...does not posit abolition of the penal system as the desired alternative. But of course you knew this already.
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New You figured that out, eh?
hence the "nudge" towards the edge of the deep end :-)
New And opposition to tort reform is paid for by biggies, too
New glad you bet on the right bill
I am a law junkie and I admire the remedy desired in this case as a work of art. Totally frivolous as a dry cleaner could hardly come up with the cash and it flies in the face of both common sense and the right of a service provider to refuse service at wil but a work of art never the less. Tort reform should be in the hands of juries and appellate courts, not lawmakers.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
     A strong case for tort reform - (bepatient) - (28)
         I don't think this proves tort refrom is necessary - (Seamus) - (7)
             At least one issue - (bepatient) - (6)
                 Tenatively agree - (Seamus) - (5)
                     Legal standard of "Reasonable Man" - (bepatient) - (4)
                         In this case I definitely agree - (Seamus)
                         thats not what he is asking - (boxley) - (2)
                             Which is why it is clearly unreasonable. -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 Not only unreasonable but - (Seamus)
         He should be disbarred... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
             I do not do business with judges or lawyers. - (Andrew Grygus)
         sanctions, yes. "tort reform," no - (rcareaga) - (7)
             There are all sorts of possibilities. - (bepatient) - (4)
                 cure. disease. worse. -NT - (rcareaga) - (3)
                     Where's the spirit... - (bepatient) - (2)
                         note that argument against death penalty - (rcareaga) - (1)
                             You figured that out, eh? - (bepatient)
             And opposition to tort reform is paid for by biggies, too -NT - (tonytib)
             glad you bet on the right bill - (boxley)
         You can sue anybody for anything in this country - (ubernostrum) - (1)
             Problem is... - (bepatient)
         He lost the case. - (admin) - (7)
             Looks like his mind went with it. - (bepatient)
             Black text on dark gray background??? - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Black on white for me, FF 2.0 on Linux. -NT - (admin) - (2)
                     same here - Safari on XP -NT - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                         Same here, now. Just a temporary glitch, I guess... -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Black on White - FireFox 2.0.0.3 on OS/2 -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     Blue on medium gray here... - (jb4)

I've spent an unreasonable amount of thought on the line Janet sings in Rocky Horror: "His lust is so sincere". Now, on the surface, that's a big "DUH!" because that's the nature of lust. But wait: Brad has earlier sung about how hot he is for her, and it's pretty clear he's just being conventional. Brad's lust is not sincere.

Now, I could swill green mead and gnaw raw meat with sincere lust. As for kimchee and lutefisk, well, those would be just for effect. And if I'm just going for effect, I might as well wear a tie. And pants.

-- mhuber
68 ms