IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A strong case for tort reform
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/03/AR2007050300430.html|http://www.washingto...007050300430.html]

65 Mill for a pair of pants.

The Judge should be disbarred.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New I don't think this proves tort refrom is necessary
It is too far out that it should be dismissed as a data point. There are better arguments that can be made for tort reform.

But, the guy needs help and probably shouldn't be a judge, but I am sure those making that decision have got to be thinking about what kind of lawsuit he will bring if he is disbarred and dismissed as an administrative judge.
Seamus
New At least one issue
if a judge deems case frivolous, person that files should bear all costs of both parties.

What this guy is doing should be illegal.
New Tenatively agree
In this case I would definitely agree that he should pay the other party's attorney fees, but it could be a club used to keep legitimate disputes from being heard.

How do you judge frivolity?
Seamus
Expand Edited by Seamus May 3, 2007, 02:30:27 PM EDT
New Legal standard of "Reasonable Man"
Would a reasonable man expect 65 million to replace 1 weeks use of a pair of suit pants?

I think not.
New In this case I definitely agree
In too many other cases, reasonable men reasonably disagree on frivolity.
Seamus
New thats not what he is asking
he is asking for 10 years (life of pants) of weekly car rentals (he doesnt own a car) to drive to a competant dry cleaner.
Now one may accept unacceptable service or not. It is not incumbent upon a tradesman to pay a customer to go elsewhere. Thats where his argument fails.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Which is why it is clearly unreasonable.
New Not only unreasonable but
clearly vindicative. He had prior disagreements with them, but still chose to use them because they were close. He turned down a settlement offer of $12k.

The man has some issues.
Seamus
New He should be disbarred...
but not for the reasons you're thinking of.

He's an ass. He's decided to go to court and come up with every little detail he can to pump that number up as high as it can go. (He's claiming an infraction of DC's Customer Protection Laws....)

And it's going to go no-where. The judge in the case has already stated that this is one plantiff about one pair of pants.

He's going to tie up the courts and the defendants time....all because he's a judge on a power-hungry ego trip.

And THAT'S why he needs to be disbarred. Not tort reform, but because he's lost all idea on scale of justice and his place in the world.

Next thing I expect him to do is to hold people in contempt of court for going to the wrong courtroom a' la Judge Sloop.
New I do not do business with judges or lawyers.
My own experience with lawyers confirms why surviving companies selling legal software are owned and operated by lawyers. If you can't sue with equal ease you won't get paid if the customer decides something isn't perfect - and with computer software it isn't ever going to be perfect. You can go broke trying to make it good but you won't get paid.

Last lawyer I dealt with was well over 10 years ago. He acquired a new male lover who fancied himself a "computer expert" and told him my goods were deficient. Cool - an unpaid invoice guaranteed he'd never call again.

Judges seem even worse. Some folks I knew who were definitely not well off sold their VW Microbus to a judge. He examined the records, found there was a time when the odometer cable had been broken and sued them over false mileage. Of course they had no money so he just took the Microbus for free. I've heard plenty of similar stories.

Doctors I'll deal with. They're cheap as hell and don't pay their bills for months or a year or so, but eventually they pay - most of the time. Lawyers and judges - forget it. California anti-discrimination law provides some protection for refusing to do business in situations where you feel it's too dangerous.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New sanctions, yes. "tort reform," no
I had a bet with myself, reading about this in the morning Chron, whether it would be the Beep or the Box whose saliva would first reach the bottom of the cage once this bell was sounded. My money was on you, Bill, and you did not disappoint.

The plaintiff is a vindictive nutcase, and I hope that when the matter is at last adjudicated he has his ass handed to him with the additional requirement that he underwrites all costs incurred to date. So we're on the same page so far.

But no, you think this means we must needs have "tort reform." My homeward commute is frequently disfigured by billboards urging this same agenda. These announcements have been paid for by...well of course, by simple citizens who have spontaneously risen up, moved by simple outrage at the plight of humble mom-and-pop Korean drycleaning operations, and pooled their modest savings to purchase public space that they might cry out against these injustices.

Ya think?

Well, Beep, I hate to be the one to break the news, but so-called "tort reform" isn't being pushed and financed by the little people, but rather by the big, who would dearly love to "reform" the rights of their sundry collateral damages to seek redress in court right out of existence. Does the system as presently constituted permit egregious abuses of the type this sorry episode describes? It does (there are avenues of retribution, and I hope that this plaintiff ultimately weeps bitter tears as he travels thereupon). Ought we then "reform" the tort system as those who are already exploiting the case would have us do? In that case I await your appeal to rescind the Second Amendment on the basis of its abuse last month at Virginia Tech. But of course, "a foolish consistency" and all that...

litigiously,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New There are all sorts of possibilities.
And the second amendment point is one very rouge poisson.

In Virginia, consistent enforcement of the laws on the books would have prevented that situation.

There's no law currently against what this Judge Jerkyboy is doing. There should be.

I suppose I am guilty of "headline grabbing" here...just like the press. I'm not against damages being awarded by the Courts...I'm against the system being abused. This is a clear case of system abuse...and currently there isn't anything that can stop it.
New cure. disease. worse.
New Where's the spirit...
...if it harms just one innocent person it should be thrown away. Isn't that the argument against capital punishment?

(nudge)
New note that argument against death penalty
...does not posit abolition of the penal system as the desired alternative. But of course you knew this already.
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New You figured that out, eh?
hence the "nudge" towards the edge of the deep end :-)
New And opposition to tort reform is paid for by biggies, too
New glad you bet on the right bill
I am a law junkie and I admire the remedy desired in this case as a work of art. Totally frivolous as a dry cleaner could hardly come up with the cash and it flies in the face of both common sense and the right of a service provider to refuse service at wil but a work of art never the less. Tort reform should be in the hands of juries and appellate courts, not lawmakers.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New You can sue anybody for anything in this country

Doesn't mean you'll win. Doesn't mean you'll even get to a jury. Doesn't mean you won't get saddled with the other guy's legal bills.

--\r\nYou cooin' with my bird?
New Problem is...
there is little to no chance that this idiot will have to pay the legal fees of the defense. The Chungs are forced to rely on the goodness and charity of others...while the "Judge" is out nothing.

That is simply wrong...and in no sense of the word did the "Justice" system live up to its name.
New He lost the case.
[link|http://www.abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3313923&page=1|http://www.abcnews.g...id=3313923&page=1]

What a loon:
"These are not my pants," he testified, and said he told her, "I have in my adult life, with one exception, never worn pants with cuffs."

Pearson testified that Chung insisted, saying, "These are your pants."

Pearson then rushed from the courtroom, overcome with emotion.

Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Looks like his mind went with it.
Its a travesty that it even made it into court.
New Black text on dark gray background???
It looks the same in FF and IE to me. It's unreadable.

:-/

[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/25/AR2007062500443.html?hpid=topnews|Washington Post] has a story on it, too.

It was a pointed rebuke of Pearson's claim, and came with an order to pay the cleaners' court costs. But even bigger troubles may loom for Pearson.

Financially, he could soon be on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees incurred by the owners of Customer Cleaners. Attorneys for the Chungs have said they will seek such payments, as well as sanctions against Pearson for bringing the lawsuit. Bartnoff said in her ruling that she would decide those issues after both sides have filed their motions, counter-motions and legal briefs.

Professionally, Pearson could find himself out of his $96,000-a-year job as an administrative law judge for the District government.

It's cases like these that make me think that bringing back the [link|http://www.villagenet.co.uk/reference/stocks.html|stocks] might not be such a bad idea.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Black on white for me, FF 2.0 on Linux.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New same here - Safari on XP
Darrell Spice, Jr.            Trendy yet complex\nPeople seek me out - though they're not sure why\n[link|http://spiceware.org/gallery/ArtisticOverpass|Artistic Overpass]                      [link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare]
New Same here, now. Just a temporary glitch, I guess...
New Black on White - FireFox 2.0.0.3 on OS/2
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Blue on medium gray here...
But that's because I force those colors on everyone (even you, Adminiscott — nothing personal, mind you...)
jb4
"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment."
George W. Bush, when asked if he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war (Newsweek, 26 Feb 07)
     A strong case for tort reform - (bepatient) - (28)
         I don't think this proves tort refrom is necessary - (Seamus) - (7)
             At least one issue - (bepatient) - (6)
                 Tenatively agree - (Seamus) - (5)
                     Legal standard of "Reasonable Man" - (bepatient) - (4)
                         In this case I definitely agree - (Seamus)
                         thats not what he is asking - (boxley) - (2)
                             Which is why it is clearly unreasonable. -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 Not only unreasonable but - (Seamus)
         He should be disbarred... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
             I do not do business with judges or lawyers. - (Andrew Grygus)
         sanctions, yes. "tort reform," no - (rcareaga) - (7)
             There are all sorts of possibilities. - (bepatient) - (4)
                 cure. disease. worse. -NT - (rcareaga) - (3)
                     Where's the spirit... - (bepatient) - (2)
                         note that argument against death penalty - (rcareaga) - (1)
                             You figured that out, eh? - (bepatient)
             And opposition to tort reform is paid for by biggies, too -NT - (tonytib)
             glad you bet on the right bill - (boxley)
         You can sue anybody for anything in this country - (ubernostrum) - (1)
             Problem is... - (bepatient)
         He lost the case. - (admin) - (7)
             Looks like his mind went with it. - (bepatient)
             Black text on dark gray background??? - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Black on white for me, FF 2.0 on Linux. -NT - (admin) - (2)
                     same here - Safari on XP -NT - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                         Same here, now. Just a temporary glitch, I guess... -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Black on White - FireFox 2.0.0.3 on OS/2 -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     Blue on medium gray here... - (jb4)

One man's dream is another man's eternal nightmare.
338 ms