IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not impressed.
Looks like every other one I've seen, other than the Smalltalky bits. I really dislike systems that conflate HTML with code. I find them difficult to debug (where is this HTML coming from?) and difficult to rearrange when I want the page to look like something else.

I don't want it to look "something" like the HTML... I want to look at it and immediately understand what I'm getting. Difficult stuff can be put in a tag and called from the template.

Django's template system has a thing called [link|http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/templates/#template-inheritance|blocks] as well:

In a parent template:
{% block foo %}This is the default.{% endblock %}

Then inherit that parent, and replace the 'foo' block if you want to specialize:
{% block foo %}This is not the default.{% endblock %}

Very useful. Django templates have the added bonus of being output-neutral: use them for emails, CSV, whatever.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New You still don't get it
First, your example can produce broken html - just forget one of those endblock thingys.

Second, Seaside has components - like widgets. You don't put the whole thing in one page, you have components like WebObjects or conventional GUI's had them.

Then there are halos. You can turn on halos in your page (from a set of links at the bottom) and boxes get drawn around all the component boundaries so you can see what part of the page is produced by which component. When halos are on, there are switches that let you render the HTML source for any PART of the page (or all of it). See below. Clicking the R shows you the Rendered html. S turns on the source view (see lower left).

The wrench opens a source code browser on the component. The eye is an inspector on the image where you can view/edit all the fields in the object. The crayon allows you edit css for that page region. I have no trouble telling where every bit of html comes from.

[image|http://www.inextenso.com/misc/blogs/sw2-halos/1.jpg||||]

We posture as apostles of fair play, as good sportsmen, as professional knights-errant-- and we throw beer bottles at the umpire when he refuses to cheat for our side...We save the black-and-tan republics from their native [statesmen]--and flood them with "deserving" democrats of our own. We deafen the world with our whoops for liberty--and submit to laws that destroy our most sacred rights...We play policeman and Sunday-school superintendent to half of Christendom--and lynch a darky every two days in our own backyard.

H.L. Mencken, 1914
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:07:07 AM EDT
New No, I get it just fine.
I just don't agree with you that it's as useful as you seem to think it is, and I dislike the paradigm itself. Don't confuse disagreement with ignorance.

I prefer my HTML widgets to be written in HTML and markup, thank you very much. Not some unrelated language.

And if I forget and endblock, I produce a trace showing me that I forgot an endblock... not broken HTML.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Been there before - maintenance Hell - not going back

We posture as apostles of fair play, as good sportsmen, as professional knights-errant-- and we throw beer bottles at the umpire when he refuses to cheat for our side...We save the black-and-tan republics from their native [statesmen]--and flood them with "deserving" democrats of our own. We deafen the world with our whoops for liberty--and submit to laws that destroy our most sacred rights...We play policeman and Sunday-school superintendent to half of Christendom--and lynch a darky every two days in our own backyard.

H.L. Mencken, 1914
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:07:34 AM EDT
New Your experience differs from mine.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Apparently so

H.L. Mencken, 1914
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:08:11 AM EDT
     Nifty demo of J2EE vs Zope vs RoR vs django vs etc ... - (drewk) - (32)
         WooHoo! J2EE is the way to go! ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Thoughts... - (admin) - (27)
             Other thoughts - (tuberculosis) - (16)
                 Other other thoughts... - (admin) - (14)
                     Builder pattern - (tuberculosis) - (13)
                         Not impressed. - (admin) - (5)
                             You still don't get it - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                 No, I get it just fine. - (admin) - (3)
                                     Been there before - maintenance Hell - not going back -NT - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                         Your experience differs from mine. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                             Apparently so -NT - (tuberculosis)
                         Builder pattern... :-O - (static) - (1)
                             Two things - (tuberculosis)
                         Oi! Even if your screen is six foot wide, not everyone's is! - (CRConrad) - (4)
                             Do you have a 1886 Volvo CRT, too? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 El Cheapo older(ish) HP laptop, 1024 x 768 I think. - (CRConrad)
                             Yah sure - done -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 Great, Thanks. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Document generation in code - (ubernostrum)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                 If you only saw half you missed the best parts. :-) - (admin) - (8)
                     What was at the end? - (drewk) - (1)
                         He built an actual application with each. - (admin)
                     Re: If you only saw half you missed the best parts. :-) - (ubernostrum) - (5)
                         Django newforms... - (admin) - (4)
                             Re: Django newforms... - (ubernostrum) - (3)
                                 Good deal. - (admin) - (2)
                                     Yeah. - (ubernostrum) - (1)
                                         I don't use the admin stuff - (admin)
         He needed to investigate integration - (warmachine) - (2)
             Depends on what you're doing - (admin) - (1)
                 I have back-ends - (warmachine)

Same thing we do every night, Pinky... try to take over the WORLD!
96 ms